Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but I figure that there must be AR folks that are also M1A shooters.

What kind of accuracy (out of the box) should you expect to get from a Springfield M1A Scout with an 18" barrel. I realize that M1A match rifles are capable of some fine long range shooting, but they have aftermarket barrels, etc. How are the M1A's out of the box?

Tom

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ammo is going to make a big difference. If you want to see what it might do, pick up a box of Fed 168 gr match. Might suprise you. Blasting steel on the range, look for some SA/Ball etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Tom,

My son shoots the Springfield M1A SOCOM a lot. He has not had anything done to it, but does have an EOTech mounted. The Scout model of course has a longer barrel.

He has no problem holding 1 inch groups at 100 yards on a good day.
If its not such a good day, it still will hold under two inches.

That is with South African MilSurp ball ammo

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I hadn't looked at this thread... I'll be damned, another rack grade gun that shoots MOA with ball ammo.

I've shot probably 4 barrels out of each of my M1As and my wife shot 2 out that I know of... Ball ammo is a problem. The projectiles suck for accuracy and I have yet to see even a match grade gun shoot one inch groups at 100 with ball ammo of any sort.
I have a bit left of HRT ball from an 80s purchase, it is by far the best ball I've ever shot, though I never have had the pleasure of a good lot of Radway Green... It is basically 1.5 or maybe a hare less ball ammo in my match guns.

I will say this much, you could get a fluke 3 or 5 shot group or groups that might hold 1 inch, but I'd certainly expect much more like 1.5 to 2 moa out of a rack grade gun with ball ammo. I'd expect about the same or a hair less with just rack grade match ammo, and with no work to the gun until it shoots loose in the stock I'd bet you can reload that gun to shoot basically MOA.

As to SA ball shooting 1 inch one day and on a bad day 2 inches... thats probably not your son, thats probably the reality of the ammo.

Basically a springfield rack grade barrel is capable of about 1 moa or a hair less with perfect loads if you are lucky and just consider it to probably be 2 moa with ball. Which is plenty good for most folks purposes.

But if you buy one, remember ammo has a lot to do with what you get out of the gun..... [bleep] in, [bleep] out....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I shoot handloaded Hornady 150gr BTSP's out of mine and its right at 1 inch consistently. Its the load I use for hunting, and luckly it shoots great out of my M1A Scout rifle, my Steyr Scout rifle and my son's Thompson Encore Hunter.

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Well I hadn't looked at this thread... I'll be damned, another rack grade gun that shoots MOA with ball ammo.

I've shot probably 4 barrels out of each of my M1As and my wife shot 2 out that I know of... Ball ammo is a problem. The projectiles suck for accuracy and I have yet to see even a match grade gun shoot one inch groups at 100 with ball ammo of any sort.
I have a bit left of HRT ball from an 80s purchase, it is by far the best ball I've ever shot, though I never have had the pleasure of a good lot of Radway Green... It is basically 1.5 or maybe a hare less ball ammo in my match guns.

I will say this much, you could get a fluke 3 or 5 shot group or groups that might hold 1 inch, but I'd certainly expect much more like 1.5 to 2 moa out of a rack grade gun with ball ammo. I'd expect about the same or a hair less with just rack grade match ammo, and with no work to the gun until it shoots loose in the stock I'd bet you can reload that gun to shoot basically MOA.

As to SA ball shooting 1 inch one day and on a bad day 2 inches... thats probably not your son, thats probably the reality of the ammo.

Basically a springfield rack grade barrel is capable of about 1 moa or a hair less with perfect loads if you are lucky and just consider it to probably be 2 moa with ball. Which is plenty good for most folks purposes.

But if you buy one, remember ammo has a lot to do with what you get out of the gun..... [bleep] in, [bleep] out....

I can respect your honesty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still kicking myself for selling my SS to get up money to buy my daughter her first car!

It shot .75 with a Springfield Scout Scope on it and Fed 168 BTHPs in the mag. The Iraq vet son of a co-worker I sold it to, now has a proper rifle scope on it and he's getting about the same, his dad says. Don't know what load he's shooting.

His boy wanted it because he like the M14 he was issued as a DSM.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thread.
I am thinking hard about getting an M1A Scout as soon as I am able.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,834
Posts18,496,715
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.