Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My neighbor and I were talking last week about fishing and the topic came up about fishing from shore without a boat. I said that My Big spinning reel was good for that because I could cast it so far. He replied "Spinning Reel" get serious! you gotta have a baitcasting reel for long casts and salt water fishing. I replied I doubted that I could cast a baitcasting reel as far as my spinning reel. And that my spinning reel is a hella strong saltwater design.

So the stage was set for the first "pasture casting" distance contest. Complete with my Leica LRF1200 laser range finder! We agreed on a one ounce lead weight. Kinda heavy but I was Ok with the choice. Now,... I use a St croix 7ft 3 piece MH spinning rod and a Shimano Thunnus with 30lb stren super braid.

He was using a ABU 6500 with an 8 foot shimano rod. The line he had was "P line" (don't know that brand?) in 20lb. We agreed to a few warm up casts and then launched for distance. I kinda felt like I was 12 years old and doing something wrong while this whole thing was going on.

My fist cast was not exactly accurate but it went to 52 yards. His was more accurate but only went to 47 yards. Hmmmm Maybe this baitcasting reel is good! Could it be better? My next cast was baseball swing style and far more accurate and hit the ground at 62 yards! His second was right at 50 yards. I was feeling pretty good now, two further casts in a row! I decided to let her rip regardless of accuracy. I swung for the fences as they say and the weight hit at 78 yards, and only slightly off to the left of where I intended. His was also a go for broke over head launch which got him all the way to 61 yards. So he conceeded that the spinning reel would cast further at least with the two units we had for this silly but entertaining morning.

Unfortunately neither of us caught anything!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ, you want loooooong cast come on over to the coast this summer when the red tails are running and i'll show you real long cast, I use a 15' rod with a Alvey surf casting reel. I can cast easly over 100 yards, the record for a similar outfit is near to a quarter mile held by some Aussy. the real is made in Australia and is a strange contracption to say he least. but it makes for some very long retrieves. I use a four oz weight and 20 pound Fire line. One must wear a glove to cast as the line will slice your fingers open when throwing that much weight and holding line like a spinning reel. I have caught a lot of redtailed perch out in the surf and really prefer to use a large spinnig reel when the conditions are right, not a big surf running. Catching doubles is a blast, two perch of about 2-3 puonds each fighting not only the line but each other. I once hooked something very large, fought it for about 5-6 min. they it straightened the hook and was gone, Probably a shark or skate lots of fun.
I have found that I can cast further with one of my Pinacle or Shimano coffee grinders on the same length and make rod, Loomis, than I get out of my spinning reels. I am very fond of the Pinacle with its very sensitive anti backlash setup.This reel on a Loomis or Lamiglass rod and you have a very good set up that with practice will out distance a spinning reel most of the time.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have done something like that with a fly rod.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.