Hop To
F
fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
ok guys im going to lake winnie on my first walleye trip
there are two groups from home going this year one guy in our group has been for a couple years now . what "secret weapon" lure or lures should i get to have in my box just in case.
my buddy says worms is all we need

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If the old standby Lindy Rig or Jig isn't working with Jumbo Leech's, I would go to a Three way Rig, 2 or 3 oz bell sinker, 3 way swivel and a 5 inch floating Rapala in Perch or Purpledescient, troll about 2.5 to 3 mph and hope your net man is ready.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
depends on the day......walleyes can be finiky PITA's......just be willing to change it up......on the lake here the bait is leeches, crawlers and minnows do work but leeches work the majority of the time where the other two are occationals.....on the Missouri River ill take minnows over anything....different waters mean different baits may work better

how to fish them? we catch them on every thing from necklaces my wife makes(6 inches of beads and floats and usually two smaller spinner blades) to standard float and spinner rigs(couple of beads a float and one spinner blade)....

one rig that was really deadly for awhile was a single ball shaped float(1/8-1/4 inch in diameter) of various colors ahead of a red or orange or pink hook.....caught more walleyes in one day on those simple rigs than any other i have ever used......

all rigs trolled using a bottom bouncer......the rigs are on leaders between 4 and 10 feet long.....length of a leader will affect how the rig presents itself to the fish so switch it up if they arent biting but 6 feet is a good place to start and works the majority of times.....i always take rig making materials out on the boat to change things up on the fly though i make 90% of my rigs ahead of time....

i have used jigs but on the lake i fish they work best immediately post spawn for a few weeks......have used cranks with some success but nothing consistent....

mainly, if they arent biting throw something else infront of them.....speed up and slow down your trolling, a half mile an hour can make a huge difference.....

Last edited by rattler; 06/27/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (25aught6, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 49 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,923
Posts18,518,859
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.