Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was checking out the Ruger forum the other day and one of the Ruger guru's said that most of the guy's interested in Ruger No.1's was ih there late 50's or older.How he would know that I'm not sure.It's was his reasoning for eventual demise of the Ruger #1. I know this is true with cars, that in the last 10 years or so, the Duesenberg has dropped in value 50% because all the old guys who liked those cars have passed. I'll start-I'm 55.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
50yo.

I have a .218Bee and just ordered a .300H&H. Both No.1S.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
34 (30 when I bought the gal).
#1 RSI 7X57

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Patrick,

I'm 59 (but I've owned about 60 #1's over the years, and bought my first at age 27. But I only had 4 or 5 before age 40 or so... smile )

Actually, I don't think it's as much age as it is finances... In our early years we were married and having children, And, of course trying to accrue all the necessary possessions to keep up with our friends, etc. House pmts that seemed big when we bought our homes, are now relatively small. By age 55 or so, the kids are getting out on their own, the house pmts are small. We are mostly comfortable with a 3 yr old car. Now we have expendable income for some of the luxurys of life... smile

At least that's my take on it. smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

He most likely got that Info from the Ruger # 1 Group. They have on going surveys as to the average age of # 1 owners along with a bunch of other surveys about the # 1.

The way it works is that owners can vote in their age bracket, no names required, there are no # 1 owners listed under the age of 20, and none over the age of 75. The most owners listed are in the 55 to 60 age bracket.
Ruger # 1 Guy

Last edited by Ruger_1_Guy; 07/05/10.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. I bought my first one when I was about 30; had one or two or three about all the time, until about 10 years ago. Now I don't have any crazy. I like them pretty well, and will have some more, sometime. I had all mine between about 30 and 50, plus or minus.

FWIW...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
56 years young here.

sidepass

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bought my first one, a .270 when I was 26 and the next one, a .375 the following year .... I think. Have had a 7x57 also. I am now 56 and I have a .22-250 and a 7.62x39 left.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm 34. I got my #1V .22-250 when I was 27 and I picked up the #1B .270 Winchester five years ago.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my first one at about 35yrs old(?) traded quite a few over the years. Got a 35whelen now and I'm looking hard at the .257. Oh yeah I'm 61 but my son is 30 and he's going to get him a 30/06 very soon.(was told that I officially turned OLD GEEZER at 61 sick)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 41 and if push came to shove and I had to name my absolute favorite modern make and model of rifle, the #1 would be my pick. Just for grins, my favorite "vintage" make and model would likely be the older Savage 99s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I acquired my first one at about age 55, but it was a money thing. I had wanted one for years but just did not feel that I could afford to spend that much on a box-stock factory rifle. SInce then, I have owned six (and still own three) and likely will acquire two or three more as I run across chamberings that appeal to me. (I'm currently about 5 months past my 67th birthday.)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Purchased my first Number 1 at age 22, a 1B in 22-250, currently own 9 others will be 52 by the time my 1A 303 arrives.

Flyer

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My first was a Number 1V in 220 Swift that I mounted a 6.5x20 VIII target dot scope on. I was 32 at the time. I would have had one sooner, but that was a very big chunk of change for me to spend on a gun and the scope cost more than the gun did. (something is just wrong with spending more on the accesories than on the gun!)
I could only afford it by getting rid of the wife that kept the credit card maxed out.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had a chance to buy a RSI in 30/06 when I was maybe 20. It cost $305. It seemed cool, but I was still too young to wrap my mind around the single shot concept. Actually bought my first at about 28, and I've had at least one in the safe ever since. I'm to the point that I really can't buy any more right now, but I can't bring myself to part with the ones I have either. I'm in my early 40's now I don't go on any hunt without a #1 in the truck. If it dumps snow, my all-weather bolt comes out, but the rest of the time I usually have a #1 in-hand.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm 28, bought my first #1 at age 26 in 7x57 and my second at 27 in 450/400.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was 38 when I bought a .45-70 Govt Liberty model. 39 when I bought my .22-250 #1V.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I bought my first at 25 and now I'm 45. Four others came after the first. Out of the four two were sold and one was given to my step son. Love them and will probably always have one or two, but they do seem to get heavier with age. One classy lookin rifle for this day and age.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I bought my one and only no.1, an rsi '06, when I was 27. I'm 32 now. Eventually I will own more.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I will own my 1st no. 1, by this weekend. Guess you could say I own it now, cause its paid forgrin. I'm 59 and change. I've wanted one for some time, but also was a money thing.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seven #1's and a number 3. Was in my 30's when I got my first one( #1AB in 7x57). I just bought a #1S in 300 H&H.

Turned 70 in January.

Steve

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Unfortunately I have sold the only #1 I owned a few months back--just too many gremlins to get it to shoot reliably accurate. I will own another before the end of the year. I am 27yrs old.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought my first one at 34

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm 57 but have been interested in them for over 30 years.

OTOH, one of my friends who is about 30 bought his first last year.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was 29 when I bought mine.

S
S
I am 34 and bought my first No. 1 about 6 months ago. This gun is awesome. I don't know anyone else who has one.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
46 yrs old now, got my first #1 at about age 30 if i remember correctly.....been hooked since.

============================================================

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Bought my first, a .25-06, in my '30's. Still own one, a custom .280 Imp., in my '60's.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm 39 now--at least for another two months. Bought my first #1 at age 16, well dad bought it wink. Killed my first deer that fall using it. It was a 1V in 6mm Rem. A tackdriver even with my early handloads and less than perfect bench technique. I foolishly sold it a few years later but last year I found another 1V in the same chambering but with better wood. It won't be up for sale any time soon. It brings back memories of those early days of deer hunting every time I heft it.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm 72 now but I was 37 years old back in 1975 when I bought my first Ruger #1, a "B" model in 30-06. I really wanted the "S" model in 06 but couldn't seem to find one, and honestly, I've only seen three "S" model to this date. All three were in .300 Win. mag. and I bought two of them. The third one was at cabelas and looked like it had ben through a couple of wars and lost both times. I thought the asking price of $900 was way out of line.
Since I got the first one, I've acquired 20 more to keep it company, plus a custom of sorts I found at a gun show where somebody put a Remington M7 barrel on a #1 action and restocked the whole mess. Damn thing doesn't shoot worth a damn but I'll keep tinkering with it. I should refinish that stock too as they did a very sloppy job.
FWIW, I really like hunting with them but they are starting gain weight as they age. whistle
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Age 64 here, I got my first about 15-18 years ago, a 22 hornet, then found a nice little 1a in 7x57 used at a gun show. It looked bad, the wood that is, metal was fine. Wood finish was clouded and missing in spots. After some careful scraping and careful sanding and lots of coats of oil and wax it is the prettiest #1 i have. It was followed by a couple of tropicals, then a 30-06.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This has been a very interesting thread! I just tallied up the responses so far and here's what I cam up with:

Average age of 1st time #1 buyers:..29.95 years!

Average age of #1 owners now:...... 50.35 years!

Seems we 24HCF members get our loonieness a bit younger. shocked

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Goin' on 62. Currently have three, 22 K Hornet, 218 Bee, 204. Had a few others in the past, including an RSI in 7x57. Probably shoulda kept 'em all, but oh well.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Patrick,

I'm 59 (but I've owned about 60 #1's over the years, and bought my first at age 27. But I only had 4 or 5 before age 40 or so... smile )

Actually, I don't think it's as much age as it is finances... In our early years we were married and having children, And, of course trying to accrue all the necessary possessions to keep up with our friends, etc. House pmts that seemed big when we bought our homes, are now relatively small. By age 55 or so, the kids are getting out on their own, the house pmts are small. We are mostly comfortable with a 3 yr old car. Now we have expendable income for some of the luxurys of life... smile

GH

I think your right.I remember in the late 1960's seeing the Ruger ad's wishing I could afford a No.1,but they was always just a little bit out of reach with money.I was in the early 40's before I could afford one.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, No. 1's have always been priced somewhat above the average bolt rifle.

Bought my first one at age 39. Could have afforded one a few years before that, but somehow felt the need to fill out a battery of bolt rifles beforehand.

After hunting with No. 1's for over 15 years now, I don't feel all that much need for bolt rifles (though I haven't abandoned them). I've even hunted dangerous game with a No. 1, and it worked fine. Have owned maybe 15-20 since that first one, and have four right now, in chamberings from .22 Hornet to .450/.400. I'm 57.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
bought my first at 54 and played around with 3 of them. I am down to a 7x57 with a 257Bob pending at the age of 57. Wish they weren't such a crapshoot.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/06/10.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am going on 61. Have more than five, but less than 20. My hunting arm of choice for most applications........

One shot, one kill........
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have had one since I was 57, and I'll be 60 in September, if I don't buy another #1 and die at the hands of my wife. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I want to get a Bodington in 375 Ruger or 7x57mm. However I have another rifle on layaway now so I may be 54 before I can get myself a #1.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Patrick James;
Thanks for the interesting thread, I�d not really considered that before but it makes interesting reading.

When my No. 1 came to live with us permanently I was 37 to the best of my recollection.

The reason for that adjective is that about 12 years prior when a friend who was a year younger than I was, so 24 at the time, wanted to take up hunting. He�d gone through the process of getting the required paperwork to purchase a firearm here in Canada, but it hadn�t arrived on the fateful day we bumped into that particular rifle.

So officially I �bought� it and took it home until his paperwork arrived. That was enough time for me to play with it a bit and I rather liked it. I asked him to call me first if he ever wanted to sell it and he agreed.

True to his word, when family commitments required some cash, he called me first. Although I had to send a very clean 1955 vintage 94 down the road to finance the purchase, I�ve never regretted it.

As I�ve aged I find myself hunting with the No. 1 about 1/3 of the time, though I don�t take it on hunts that start out to be long walks on purpose. Oh, according to my BC Driver�s License, I�ll be 48 when it heads afield with me in two months.

Thanks again for the thread and to those who have responded.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Great thread! I agree that cost is a factor in younger guys not buying #1's, but alot of it has to do with exposure to guns and firearms literature. I bought my #1 in 7x57 because I'm a subscriber to Rifle and Handloader and just had to have one after getting an old issue of "Hunting Horizons" with an article by John Barsness in it on the #1A in 7x57.

My buddies? They don't read much beyond the sports page and they can't see why I'd pay $800 for a rifle that would rust in the rain; they're great guys, but they lack imagination. The #1 is about imagination and, in no small part, nostalgia. Those are two things that are hard to sell to the video game generation.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
I think your right.I remember in the late 1960's seeing the Ruger ad's wishing I could afford a No.1,but they was always just a little bit out of reach with money.I was in the early 40's before I could afford one.

I don't remember when I saw my 1st #1, but I bought my 1st in 1978. It was a 1-V in 7mm Mag... (I wish I'd have kept it...) It wasn't until about 1980 or '81 that I saw my 1st Browning 30 gun safe... Oh! How I dreamed of having one of those and owning a 1-B in each caliber... (About 8, IIRC) I didn't get my 1st gun safe until 1991. Thought I was in Nirvana when I did.

It's funny, tho' after about age 50, they came fairly rapidly. Now I'm trying to shed the ones I'm not particularly fond of and keep the ones I really like...

GH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I running close to 55 now,but started hunting with then in 1979.
I have 4 now,weeded out little over the years,but it seems that one always go to the range with me. I hate barrels with dust in them...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
57 acquired my first a 1B at 30. It had a bad scope on it for years and would fog in the field. I had other rifles and so I didn't hunt it much. It was also heavy for the way I hunt. I now have some others and will hunt them hard. The problem is gonna be figuring out which one to take.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one (a #1A in 30-06). Currently age 35 (for one more day) and bought it when I was about 31. Drooled over them for quite a while before I finally bought.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my first one around 1978 (that would have made me about 23).
My most recent one, a Liberty 458, is in transit as I type and it represents another milestone for me (new caliber and it brings my total to a number with a "0" on the end of it). I feel pretty lucky at 55 to have this many nice and desireable Number Ones. But the list of examples that I still want is pretty short now, and it will be coincidental finds or opportunities that are just too good to pass up.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I am 52. Bought my #1 at 48. Wanted one for a long time before that. I want more but it is the money thing right now.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

59 now. Bought my 1A at around 53, or 54.

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was about 30 , 30 someodd years ago when I got my first one, and the only one I still have....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a brochure from Ruger in 1972? Was 11 years old and new someday I would have a Ruger No.1.
When my kids were young, always had bolt-actions, bought my first No.1 when most of the kids had left the nest.
I was about 40 when I bought a .30-06 RSI, used it two years and shot two deer.

I'm now 48, own 12, from a .204 Ruger AB to a .458 Win Mag H.

For me it was for sure a money thing, and younger guys like SS and synthetic, and with age comes an appreciation for nice wood.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought my first and only #1... a RSI in 7x57 about three years ago because I've yearned to own a RSI in 7x57 for many, many years and just never got around to buying it. I still intend to hunt deer with it... maybe... probably... more than likely. smile

Oh, YEAH... I'm 74 now... YOU can do the math... hahahaha... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

I have two, a 1-A .270 win and a Boddington 1-S .375 Ruger, both purchased this year at age 35.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bought my No.1A in 30-06 when I was 20 yrs old.. Long time ago! smile

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am 31, got my first one when I was 15, held out for 2 years until my #1 in 223 showed up which was hard at that age. I now have 6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two #1's here 6mm Rem and 7mm Express, the latter stamp on the barrel should give away my age of 62 !!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm 55, but not for long. First #1, a 1B, when I was 24. Never shot it, still remember the knockout wood and delightful trigger - peddled it because I couldn't warm up to the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge for which it was chambered. I've never seen another as nice as that one (and it was NIB to boot)Still kicking myself.

Have had several over the years, three remain: #1As in .270 and 30-06, and a #1S in 300 H&H, all w/ older Leupold M8 4xs. They all shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Patrick,

I am 57 but got my first #1 when I was about 35. I have been interested in them all my life. The problem, I think, is that after they are all rigged up nicely, this is a pretty good investment for a young person. I did not have a lot of money to pee away when I had young children and utility rifles were more what I concentrated on for hunting and shooting. Now that I'm older, toys are easier to come by plus I have more time to enjoy them. I think these things may have something to do with it. IMHO

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
The problem, I think, is that after they are all rigged up nicely, this is a pretty good investment for a young person.
Only if you don't shop around and choose to pay full retail. There are plenty of No. 1s available with quality scopes for under $700. (I paid $700 with shipping for a 1A in 7x57 with original box and owner's manual, a Leupold Vari-XII 1x4, a set of dies, and about 200 rounds of brass in 2007.) In fact, most AR-type rifles sell for more than what I've ever paid for an outfitted No. 1, new or used. If these internet discussion forums are to be believed, I'd have to think the under-30 crowd is pooping away a hell of a lot of money on AR-type rifles.

The problem is No. 1s are more of a niche rifle. They're not in video games, they're not in popular action movies and crime dramas, and they're not on the various news programs. (When was the last time any television station used a graphic of a No. 1 when they reported a shooting?) Ruger's advertising for the No. 1 used to play into that as well indicating it was the choice of the "serious rifleman." Remember those "challenge of the single shot rifle" ads Ruger used to run?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm 61. I own a 1-AB in .270 (not the new 1-AB), a 1-V in .220 swift and a 1-S in .338 Win Mag. Boxes and paperwork for all.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I turned 60 a few months ago, and still have the two #1s I bought as a mid-20 something. The 375 H&H came with a really nice piece of wood. The stock on the 22-250 is much plainer.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I was just a tad over the age of thirty when I purchased my first Number One in 1974. She's a 270 Win and I found her on Okinawa, of all places, new in the box for $195.95. If you feed her 130g Hornadys sitting on top of 58g of 4831 she will still put five rds into .75" at 100 yds off a decent rest.

Last edited by WCC; 07/17/10.

Bill

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Obtained my first #1 (a 1V in 22-.250) when I was 43 years old. Smitten, I found my second, a NIB 1A Light Sporter in .22 Hornet last year at 44. Now on the hunt for another.....Don't know if I'll be able to top the Hornet though. wink

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston
G
G
59. Have admired #1's since they were introduced, but somehow never got around to getting one until two years ago. .450/400, and I love it!

gary

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm 51 now, bought my first one about 30 years ago(actually it was a #3) I have flirted with a few more over the years but I only have one in the safe right now, it's a pretty little 1A in .270 that my wife got me for our anniversary in '97 or '98. I will always have a soft spot for them!

Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
i will be 67 the 23 of july and i own 7 of the rugers...all different calibers...perfer the 6mm remington..it is one more groundhog killer....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought my first when I was 23. I don't have any right now. Lot of the variations I wanted have been discontinued and I'm not very inclined to settle for second choices. If they offer a caliber/config I really want, then I'll buy another one.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I bought my first when I was 23. I don't have any right now. Lot of the variations I wanted have been discontinued and I'm not very inclined to settle for second choices. If they offer a caliber/config I really want, then I'll buy another one.

At the risk of opening a bucket of worms.... What is it that you REALLY want?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"That there is a large bucket right there." smile

Guess my #1 (hah hah) choice for them to bring back would be the #1B in .257 Roberts. Second choice would probably be the #1V in .220 Swift.

Of what's out there today, most tempting is a #1H in .375. I've had 2 in the past. I still have dies and brass. Otherwise, 7x57 I guess, #1A or #1RSI. #1V in .25-'06.

I don't have any #1s right now. I guess I should buy something while I can. Maybe as soon as my two project rifle / rebarrels are finished and paid off.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always wanted a 7x57 in the RSI, and do not really know why I have put it off, other than the price tag.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Ditto."

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got a 1B 300 Win Mag I got in 1988 from a friend who was selling out his gun shop. I was 38 at the times so I guess it and I are pushing a few years together!! LOL

Greg

Last edited by GLShooter; 07/19/10.

GLShooter
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My all time favorite rifle. I am 40 yo and have been an owner since age 32. I think one thing that limits owners is expense associated with these rifles. It is very easy to be in about $1500 by the time you put a piece of quality glass on one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lev83
I think one thing that limits owners is expense associated with these rifles. It is very easy to be in about $1500 by the time you put a piece of quality glass on one.
And it's very, VERY easy to be well in UNDER $1500 for a No. 1 and a "piece of quality glass" if you choose to be patient when shopping.

I bought a NIB 1B in .257 Roberts for the princely sum of $479 in 1997 and later topped it with a Leupold Vari-XII 2x7 for an additional $225. I swapped that for a VX-II 3x9 I purchased from another member here last year for a WHOPPING $200 shipped. Yep, that was tough to swing.

I bought a 1A in 7x57 in 2007 with the original box, 200 rounds of brass, dies, and a Leupold Vari-XII 1x4 for $700 shipped. Damn, how will I ever pay that one off?

About a month ago I bought a 1V in .220 Swift topped with a Leupold M8 12X, TWO sets of dies, a few hundred rounds of assorted brass, loaded ammo, and component bullets for a GRAND total of $1000 shipped. (The most I've paid for a No. 1 in 25 years of ownership.) Damn, I guess it'll be beans and cornbread for a while yet.

This "expensive" nonsense is one of the biggest loads of CRAP I've heard yet this month. Jesus Christ, you ever heard of SHOPPING AROUND? If you've just GOTTA HAVE IT, there's a good chance you're gonna get skinned in the deal. That's just a simple fact of life. Bide your time, save your money and keep your eyes peeled, and you'll walk away a winner nearly every single time. Also a fact of life.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bought my first one, #1B in .223 Rem when I was 21
Second one, #1 Tropical .375 H&H when I was 31
Third one, Lipsey's #1AH 25-06 when I was 34
I'm sure there are more in my future, even though I keep thinking I should narrow down my inventory (blasphemy I know) I think I need a #1 International in 7x57...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well, I wished that I would have bought my first one when I was 21!
Oh; that couldn't have happened as that was 2 years before the Ruger No.1 was announced(1966).
I well remember Jack O'Connor's write up in the October, 1966 issue of Outdoor Life. For whatever reason, I did not buy my first one until November of 1972. Bought a couple more in the mid-70's, then a 200th year 1A in 7x57 in 1976, which is the only one I still have of my first No.1's. I had an opportunity to meet Joe Clayton at a Dallas Gun show in March of 1977 and see a few of his better ones. That did it! By 1978, I had swithed my collecting from 1873 Winchesters to the Ruger No.1 rifle. No doubt, the Winchesters(which I no longer have) have appreciated more, but I am sure I have enjoyed my Ruger No.1's.
I would not even attempt a guess at how many I have, or have had and sold or traded. Hope to keep this up for another 10 years and then, who knows?
There is still a good long list of early non-prefix rifles that I know were made that I have yet to find.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sixty three now and 35 when I purchased two.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought my old 243 when I was 21. still own it along with a couple more. I'm 61.

Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought my first Ruger #1 in 45-70 when I was 26 years old.
I also bought a Ruger #3 in 45-70, and a #1V .220 Swift.
I was single with no children.
Now I have two sons and still own the .220 Swift.
I have always wanted the #1 Tropical in .375 H&H Magnum but never saw the right wood on one yet.
Maybe I will do without it?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm 33, I have a RSI 7x57 that I bought when I was 18 or 19, I like carrying it on backpacking hunting trips.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Bought a #1B in 22-250 when I was about 38. No longer have it as I sold it to my son when his was about 25. He has since sold it. But now has a Boddington #1 in 300 H & H, and he'll be 30 in Sept. If you count #3's, bought a 45/70 the first year they came out! Long gone now. Kinda wished I'd bought a 30/40 instead,,,,,, and I still had it! :-)

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bought the one and only in '78. Its on its 3rd barrel. I'm 58.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bought my first, a 45-70, when I was 25.
Am now 54 and own 6 No 1's.
Wish I'd kept that 45-70, it had employee grade wood.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Bricktop your absolutely right it is possible to pick one up on the cheap but not always likely pricing varies considerably from one area to another and depending upon what it is you are buying. Nevertheless these rifles do tend to command a premium as do higher end Leupold optics. I would own a safe full of these guns if I could buy them at prices you have mentioned but again I just do not feel this is representative of the norm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop your absolutely right it is possible to pick one up on the cheap but not always likely
Uh, yes, always. Maybe you've chosen to walk around with blinders or maybe you just don't exercise sound judgment.

Nevertheless these rifles do tend to command a premium as do higher end Leupold optics.
Uh, no they don't.

I would own a safe full of these guns if I could buy them at prices you have mentioned but again I just do not feel this is representative of the norm.
It's patently obvious in your posts that you have precious little experience shopping for and buying No. 1s and quite possibly firearms in general. The prices I've quoted are very -- in your parlance -- "representative of the norm." Maybe you've chosen to bury your head in the sand, but there've been several No. 1s on this board alone that've sold for well under that nonsensical figure you quoted. WELL UNDER.

Perhaps you could point me to the market where these No. 1s are bringing $1500 with Leupold scopes, because I'd like to clean up. Just let me know, little man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not going to piss on anyone's cheerios but there has been a few very reasonably priced No.1's in the classifieds the last few months.

Here's one I'm kicking myself for not buying, but I've been trying to save some money this summer (not working)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=167074832

Here's my No.1a 30-06 (1978) that's in better shape than most guns on a stores gun rack. Purchased from a fellow forum member for 500.00 ftf

Think I've got 170.00 in the M8 3x

[Linked Image]

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cal74
Not going to piss on anyone's cheerios but there has been a few very reasonably priced No.1's in the classifieds the last few months.

Here's one I'm kicking myself for not buying, but I've been trying to save some money this summer (not working)

Here's my No.1a 30-06 (1978) that's in better shape than most guns on a stores gun rack. Purchased from a fellow forum member for 500.00 ftf

Apparently those prices are just not "the norm."

A guy from nowhere Arkansas owns maybe ONE No. 1 and he's a weather vane of No. 1 prices.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cal74

[Linked Image]

Nice pic, both gun and avatar... bet you wouldn't sell it for $670.00 now. If so let me know.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brinky72
Nice pic, both gun and avatar... bet you wouldn't sell it for $670.00 now. If so let me know.
lev83 might pony up $1500.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm 29 and have wanted one for years. Just now being able to start buying some of my bucket list guns. I've always wanted one in 375 H&H, but think i might go with 45/70 for now since i own a 1895 GG and can reload for both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would own a safe full of these guns if I could buy them at prices you have mentioned
Time to put up on your big talk:

[size:17pt][b]1V in .22-250 -- $575 SHIPPED[/b][/size]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I'm 29 and have wanted one for years. Just now being able to start buying some of my bucket list guns. I've always wanted one in 375 H&H, but think i might go with 45/70 for now since i own a 1895 GG and can reload for both.

I have a #1 in 45-70 that I bought 2 years ago. Love it and it shoots real well. At 100 yards I can get three shots to touch with Hornady factory loads. Just remember that the #1 will handle a heavier load than the guide gun so don't interchange the loads if you do load some heavy ones. Not that you need anything heavier than what your guide gun could handle to get the job done.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In human years, I'm 57 - but since I own two #1's and one #3 - I guess that in #1 years, I'm 171 !!! 30-06, 375 H&H, 22 K-Hornet
I've had the 06 for about 15 years.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
the more i think about it, might just go ahead and get the 375.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"Bought the one and only in '78. Its on its 3rd barrel. I'm 58."

That's pretty cool Bend. Shooting out a couple of barrels with a Number One, over several decades... I'm impressed.

ALMOST bought one back about 1976, a .30-06, passed on it. Shame really, was a good looking rifle. Have owned four since, but these days I have only one, a .375 H&H. Very nice rifle... Oh, am 54 years old.

Regards, Guy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm 56 and bought my first, a 1A in 7x57, last year. I've just ordered a 300 H&H. My only regret? Not starting earlier..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
63, bought my first late last year, .270 Winchester. Shoots great with no tinkering needed. Of course it's one of those SS jobs with a laminate stock that all the purists love!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 51. Have owned 12 #1s in the last 10 years or so, and 2 #3s. Down to just one now, an A in 7x57. Always wanted a #3 in 30-40 but never had one, though I do have the barrel.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 66. I have one #1 in .270WBY Mag and just bought another in .338Win Mag. FWIW, the .338 is an unfired, one of 500, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commerative, with beautiful wood, gold inlay, and jeweled lever for $650 delivered. Found this month on the Campfire Classified.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started shooting a friend's #1's when I was 16. They flung a cravin' on me. Bought my first one, a 1-A in .243 when I was 27. I'm 54 now. Have owned a bunch since then, but due to a divorce seven years ago, am down to only four now:
#1-AH in .25-06 with Circassian walnut
#1-H in .375 H&H
#1-H in .416 Rigby
#1-S in .45-70 with Circassian walnut

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Age 74. Bought my first in early '90's in 7mm Rem Mag. Don't have that No.1 anymore.

Second was used (in excellent condition)in .45-70, December '93. My second son now owns it. Third is a .45-70 that I purchased new and had long-throated 8 yrs ago. My favorite rifle. Has been used in testing loads for a reloading manual. Also killed a bear with it several years ago firing a 500 Hornady at 2200 fps! My hunting load today is a 350 TSX at 2470 fps into MOA. Another excellent load is the 350gr Speer at 2500 fps into sub MOA.

It carries a vintage silver Burris Safari fixed 4X that weighs 8oz. It also has beautiful wood.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bought my first and only No. 1 at 34, a 7STW

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bought my first at 17 1-b 25/06 with a 24x lepold and canjar single set trigger 53 now still got it been many more passing thru

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bought my first one in 1977, when I was 27. It is a 1A in 7x57. I've bought an average of one a year since then. Sold a few, but still have about a dozen.

Jim
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

I've loved the Ruger #1 ever since I first saw one - in the late 60's.

I finally bought my first Ruger #1 only about a year or two ago - when I was in my early 60's.

(Ruger #1 RSI, .243 Win)

I am almost 63, I have owned 1 #1(S)? 25-06 and 1#3 45-70.
I could not get the accuracy I wanted out of the 25-06, and local thieves stole a bunch of guns in a burglary.
SF gave me $200 for it...raped by thieves, coming and going!

23 John replied in the words of Isaiah:

�I am a voice shouting in the wilderness,
�Prepare a straight pathway for the Lord�s coming!� �
Holy Bible, New Living Translation, (Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.) 1996.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first of about 30 #1s at 51 YOA. I had just returned to shooting/hunting after decades of focus on fishing. I'm 67+ now. It was a serious infatuation.

1B

K
K
I'm 62 next week and should be recieving my first in 303 british a week later. I have been away from firearms over the past 10 years. This was my choice, for the prospects of reloading and targeting over the next no. of years. Always loved the single shots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
34 yrs old and have 1. 25/06

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
218 bee 1A when I was 28.
257 roberts 1A last Saturday I'm now 44.

I had a stainless laminate 7mm-08 but got rid of it. 1B

Last edited by Thunderball; 08/16/10.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I bought my first No.1 on the first year of production, whenever that was and have owned them off and on ever since and Im 75 now and just sold my .416 Rigby no. 1 and I'm without a SS...Thinking of building a 25-35 in a Ruger No.1...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally got my first one this spring at 36 yrs old. One of Lipsey's 1A's in .35 Whelen. Man, I love her! Always liked the No.1's but was too into bolts and not enough money. Am now saving money for my next rifle--No.1 Tropical in .375 H&H. It's become a 'must-have'! wink FWIW, my Whelen's best group is 5 shots .430" CTC @ 100yds with Hornday 250's. I can't shoot that thing enough. May never buy another bolt again.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument" --William MacAdoo

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought my first one at 48 years old. My 22 year old son traded for his first one at 22 years old, both 45/70 Govt's.

Mike

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought my first in 1976, it was a heavy barrel 7 mag. and the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I was 35 years old then. Now I am 68 and have one in 270. Have always been addicted to single shots.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm 34 and have the 338 RCM. It's my first #1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
blackmouth,How do you like the 338RCM?

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I bought my first, a 270 1A, in 1977 at age 14, readying to depart the east for the rockies when I turned 18 (which I did). Bought #2, a 300 WM 1B, now with a bead blasted matte finish, synth stock, and 24" bbl (after a soaking rusty 10 days floating the Kobuk), about 10 yrs ago at age 37.

I would imagine most 14 yr olds would now be looking at ARs, but last year, traveling from W PA to norflok, VA, stopped in a gunshop off 95, and there was a 14 yr old, with dad, picking up his stainless/laminate #1- in #% WHELEN- had to stop and talkk, interesting to hear him discuss his reasons for getting a whelen- I guess there will always be a few nutty youngsters 1977 or 2010, that like things like #1s.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The 338RCM is great. The barrel feels very heavy for the gun and gives it a good overall Heft for such a little gun. Recoil was much less than I expected. I topped the rifle with a VX-III 2.5-8x and it gets right at an 1" 100 yards.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm 46. I bought my first No1 (a no 1A in .243) at the age of 18. it was one of my first centerfire rifles...

Since then I have owned several other No 1s about a half dozen all togettherand helped tune /tweek several more for freinds.

As to the new generation of kids not appreciating them, well anyone who is intellegent enough to understand the why and how of an AR-15 is also smart enough to figure out the need for a No 1 in our modern world.

And there are more tradtionally minded young folk out there than one would think.

As a matter of fact, I beleive there is probably at LEAST one 20 something Ruger No. 1 fan for every old retirement aged fart out their who lusts after a stainless steel bolt gun with a "Mc Swirly" stock..

It's funny how the universe maintains it's balance that way. grin

Last edited by jim62; 09/04/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am 65 nearly 66.

I have the following #1 Rugers:

A 7mm Rem, a 7x57mm, a 6.5x55mm, a 35 Whelan and a 450 Nitro (3.25).

Forgot my pride and joy a 300 H&H

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 09/05/10.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking 300 H&H but my love of the 303 British took over, I have 9 years to catch up to you, so there is hope for me.

Randy

Lester Roloff
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
well i just ordered my 375 H&H. Can't wait for it to get here!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270 Win 1A was my first @ 38, 9 years later I've added a 257 Roberts AH. A 45-70 1S is next.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is a #3 off-topic? First was a #3 45-70 @ 28, then a #1 .270 at 33, (which was amazingly accurate), then a custom .358 win. #3 @ 60. My wish list includes a (rare as a white blackbird) #1 in 7.62x39 and a #3 in .44mag.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Actually, the 7.62x39 was made as a Lipsey's Exclusive in the K1A. I would not think them as rare as you describe, since they were out just a couple of years ago. Now, the No.3 in .44 Mag, is a different bird. It is generally considered to be the rarest of the 6 cataloged calibers of the No.3, and any of them would probably be over 20 years old!
To stick with the topic, I just turned 67. Have too many No.1's to tell about and just 1 No.3.

El Numero Uno
M
M
Age 55, almost 56. Just bought my first No. 1 and it is a .270 red pad vintage 1991. Looks like a great one and with plain vanilla CoreLokt it is placing shots in less than an inch at 200 yds. for the first two. It will be hunted with and that is just fine. Thinking the ballistic tips are worth a try but have been telling my friends that the CoreLokt was the common ammo back in '92 so that's why it shoots it well.

mm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be 46 next month. Got my first No.1 about 6-8 years ago, I guess.

Jeff

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mike,

Sounds you you have a winner in the #1... I had to smile at your reasoning tho'...

Welcome to the 'fire... There's a bunch of Sgl Shot users here, and most are good folks...

GH

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I decided I couldn�t sleep again until I found a #3 44 mag. Whew, what an arduous task.

Long, long ago, my trusty field gun was a Winchester Model 88 carbine, in .358 win. I had gotten into reloading and had oodles of .357 bullets lying around. None of my guns have ever been closet queens and see plenty of field action. Eventually some of those .357 slugs found their way into .358 win. cases. I love to plink because rocks, stumps, cactus, buckets, and cans are infinitely more plentiful than game.

The explosive effect of lightweight hollow points driven at rifle velocities is definitely a jaw-dropping inspiration! I was hooked like a sore-lipped bass.

Keep in mind this was long before gun safes and a rifle rack in your pickup wasn�t an invitation for thieves to follow you home. Horizontal wall-mounted 4-gun rifle racks adorned most everyone�s den, displaying a trusty 30-30, a 12 gauge, and 2 other favorites. (Odds were the magazine tube on the 30-30 would be full). Over runs found themselves stuck under a bed or stacked in the corner of a �tiny� 1940�s style closet or both. In those days, rifle & shotgun ownership out paced pistols by a margin of 6-7 to one. Pistols were either a peacemaker type or a surplus 1911 .45.

As time passed I realized my .358 wasn�t the clunker I thought. Overnight it transformed into a �dot-com� penny stock, and literally shot through the roof. A nagging voice kept reminding me that �valuables� belonged in the bank, so the 88 had to go. It was quickly replaced by something surplus from the local K-Mart. I think it may have been a Baby Martini in .218 Bee. (My first single shot!!) Also about this time PINK baby beds started appearing in my home.

So let�s skip forward about 25 years and I won�t bore you with how outdoor priorities involuntarily became Indian Princess outings, (a Father/daughter(s) girl scouts kind of organization), piano, ballet, etc. (I was rather proud of my Indian name though; �Lost Scout�, fitting in that�s normally how I�ve always felt in the woods anyway).

I never forgot my love for the old .358 so when time started becoming my own again I started searching for a way to reasonably replace it. I�d always loved the subtle simplistic beauty and balance of the Ruger No. 3, only the calibers offered were weird. Why didn�t Bill offer those in .243 or .308?

A trip to the gunsmith or (30 or 40) landed me a custom #3 in .358. �Happiness is having a .358 and a place to shoot it!� Because no true gun nut is ever happy with just one gun a .44 seemed a logical choice. In an online quest for a new gun, you have to look over 30-40 #1�s before landing on a #3. Doing so, the #1�s started growing on me. They truly are a work of art.

While reading these forums, hoping to find a .44, someone asked if a .45 Colt and a .454 Casull could be shot out of a .460 S&W Magnum? What the heck is a .460 S&W Magnum? OMG, it�s a new fangled Super Duper pistol cartridge that puts the 44 mag so shame! It�s a midget 45-70. I can�t even imagine why someone would want to shoot literally a hand canon more than once? A .44 mag is punishing enough! After chasing the rabbit trail concerning the .460 S&W I found out it is .452 diameter rather than .458 like you�d first think. Obviously a kid was asking the aforementioned question and how I know this is explained here: Who cares if the .460 will shoot a .45 Long Colt or .454 Casull, the same results could be attained by reducing the powder charge in the .460. What came to MY mind was dang, �I wonder if it�d shoot the .45 Auto Rim�. Woohoo! A youngster wouldn�t even be aware of the .45 Auto Rim�s existence. Talk about a PLINKER! HOW FUN! From a 45-70 mini-mag to 500fps super accurate slingshot! I bet you could visually see the chunk of lead flying down range? I�m putting all pond turtles on notice!

OK, to heck with a #3 .44 mag. I�m saving up for a .460 Ruger #1!!!!

Good day to each of you Gents!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Great story and logic!
If you now have a hankering for the Ruger No.1 in .460 S&W, I would suggest you be about it! It has been in the Catalog for over a year now and I am thinking only one production run has been made, of not many rifles. There have been a couple on GunBroker, but not many. I have heard the "rumor" that it was difficult to get all the different rounds that would fit in the chamber to shoot well. Handloading would probably solve that issue.
May well not be a 2nd production run.
20 years from now, it could be as rare as the No.3 .44 Mag.

El Numero Uno
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you think the .45 Auto Rim could be fired from it? I'll bet you could fire form the cases!!!!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well shronologically I am 56 but rifle loonie years I am just 15.
Randy

Randy formerly posting as medicman
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'm 45. Bought my first #1, a #1V in 6mm Remington when I was 28. Damn, I should not have traded that one.

Marc
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought my first when I was in my early 20's. I just sold my last one at 43. Doubt I will buy another only because of the one size fits all action. If they would scale the action sizes down/up to the cartridge size, I'd be all over another. Having an action that fits a 416 Rigby or 458 Lott chambered for a 22 Hornet is not my cup of tea.

I've owned No.1's in 270 Wby Mag, 7x57, 300 win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 416 Rigby and a few others.

I'd much rather spend the extra bucks for a Hagn, original Farquharson, or something similar. I understand why Ruger doesn't offer the different action sizes, and can appreciate it, but doesn't mean I have to buy it.

Last edited by DPhillips; 09/13/10.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
At 75 years old I still have 243 Win and 25-06 Rem. No.1 rifles. The 243 was Mfg in 1978 and the 25-06 Rem was Mfg in 1981. They are not my most accurate big game rifles but they have nice wood. Shot a few mule deer with them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was 32 when I purchased my first #1 and am now 36 and still have it and have sold off another one I purchased in the mean time. I still ogle every #1 I run across just can't convince my better half that I need all of them!

"RLTW"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
well i'm 29 and I now have my first number 1 in 375 H&H today. She is a beauty

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

If you can read, you can see it coming!

http://www.mtekweaponsystems.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought my 1st #1 at about 22 years old. 1B in 270. I'm 61 now and still have three #1Bs .257, 7mm STW, and 300WM.

Ed
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I first saw them in the local gun shop in 1975 or 76. The owner gave me a free catalog which I wore out in short order (Went back and he was too happy to give me another)

I have been in love with them ever since

Dave

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm 67 and have had at least one No. 1 for thirty-five years. Suspect there is some truth in the premise that older shooters are more attracted to single shots, but let's face it, geezers also tend to have more disposible income than young guys with families. If I were just starting out, I'd be attracted a to a bolt action milsurp "bubba job," or a Savage "package gun" just because of the economics of the thing. No. 1s were never "entry level," not even the No. 3 version.

W
W
I have admired the Ruger #1 for many years of my shooting life and finally pulled the trigger on buying one at my ripe old age of 65 yesterday. I bought a new #1 varmint in .223 Remington. That's my favorite caliber and the one that I bought has some really nicely figured walnut, just couldn't resist. Now to get her sighted in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm 60 and have 12 now, ranging from the Hornet through the .45/70....along with a #3 Krag...

Bought my first one, a 1V in .300 Winchester at age 27....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Inherited 1b in 7mm rem mag at around 25

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought my first 243 at about 39 or 40
Bought a 280 at 45 and picking up a 375 H&H anyday now at 46 all three are pristine

They are something I am proud to own. I am not sure my next but I will know it when I see it

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my first one this year at age 50. Got a new one in 303 British.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought m,y first one in 6MM Rem in 1990 at age 48. My last one was last week in 9.3x74R. In between there were rifles in .223 Rem,45-70, 375 H&H, 218 Bee, 458 Lott and 416 Rigby. I sold the 218 Bee. Still have the rest.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm 62, wanted a No. 1 or two ever since they came out. For one reason or another I never got one, then about 4 years ago a 1B in .308 got waved in front of me and I bought it. Haven't used it much. Finally shot a deer with it two days ago.

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
O
I'm 31 and I have one in .300 win mag. It is my first proper rifle and I got it last week. It is a beautiful thing and I will own it until I pass it on to my son.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have only the 300 #1 and think they are great. Odd how we buy these rifles and start thinking about passing them down.

I hope the one I pass down is worn out!! I know that will take a LONG time.

Greg

GLShooter
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
im 28 have a #1 in 220vt i bought about 5 years ago. it is my absolute most favorite rifle. i plan to convert all my hunting bolt actions into #1s as money permits. next on the list is my 2506 m77 swapped #1vt

i just the love feel of the #1 it fits me perfect and just calls to me. i almost always grab my 220 for all things from varmits to deer because its my absolute favorite

the #1 is makeing memories, i had tried for coyote season to get dog to come in to shooting range to were my daughter could see me shoot it. my daughter and i hungerd in a sagebrush patch one winter morning temps in 20s and this scragle pup came and #1 in 220 barked. my daughter doesnt look it but she was very exscited and tells the story all the time

heres the same #1 a few years ago headed up into idahos high country. shes packn 53gr triple shocks
[Linked Image]
i felt like dieng packn in for this hunt
[Linked Image]

this is the kind of hunting #1s were made for
[Linked Image]

here she is at the gravel pit punchn some paper

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Evan; 11/13/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Evan
im 28 have a #1 in 220vt i bought about 5 years ago. it is my absolute most favorite rifle

<SNIP>

heres the same #1 a few years ago headed up into idahos high country. shes packn 53gr triple shocks
[Linked Image]
i felt like dieng packn in for this hunt
That's a hell of a lot of rifle to be packing through that kind of country!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
with that much on my back a few lbs doesnt matter either way.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Evan,

Good on you! Standard weight rifles hold true w/o wobble and balance much better then the LWs in carry mode and swing on game --the Vs included. Too bad the modern trend is running so uniformly toward the LWs even among flat land, stand hunters.

I still hunt on my feet, slow and quiet, and the old standard rifle -- weighing in at 8 + lbs -- in the Ruger #1 have never let me down. But then, if i was 10-15 up in a tree stand, I'd need a LW rifle to do the job.

Go figure.

1B

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why is it too bad? If one can shoot well with it why does it matter?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There you go, using logic again.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 40, but I bought my first #1B at 26 (and hunted steep, rugged country like Evan's doing). I bought my dad a retirement gift #1V a couple years later, but I've been been the only one to shoot it so it's also kinda mine I guess.

I really kick myself for not grabbing a few more before the prices went up and the walnut selection went down. Hindsight.....

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 63. As my hunting tastes have matured, and I found out about the myth of the second shot, I bought a Ruger #1 for varmint hunting. Truly a superior rifle. Not (by far) the most expensive I own, but very accurate. I installed an aftermarket trigger, as the rifle definitely needs this.

I've had the rifle about 10 years.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 12/01/10.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
42 here and although I have no number one's, I've wanted one since I was a teenager. just never bought one. Not "NEEDING" a new rifle, I continue to pass on the newer black pad guns(just my preference), but the older red pad guns are harder to find in great shape. My choice would most likely be a 1A in just about any deer caliber. Beautiful guns.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I'm 63. As my hunting tastes have matured, and I found out about the myth of the second shot

I think I grasp the concept, but please elaborate.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
do you #1 guys find these to be more accurate than other rifles? If so, why do you think this is the case? Always wanted one, always looking, just haven't pulled the trigger yet...looking at a #1 in 6.5 Creedmoor....why you ask? Because odd calibers intrigue me!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
one more thought...very old school traditional rifle in its concept...scope or iron sights...what say you?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own two one in 6mm and the other in 280. I'm 62 and purchased both many moons ago..the barrel stamp on my 280 actually says "7mm Remington Express" one in the same.

Your accuracy question is similar to other brands..both mine have shot less than MOA out of the box but only with hand loads.I do own other rifles,Rem700's/Ruger77's and a custom 264 on an FN action.Are they inherently more accurate than other good rifles probably not,but seems with my experience the older model #1's could be.

Scope or irons is individual choice...I think if I was going to go with a classic caliber like 45/70 or something else I would stay with irons but otherwise mount a scope.By the way your 6.5 Creedmore is a dang good choice!!! smile

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am new to the ownership game, but have longed after #1s since the seventies. I too like different calibres. Although the 303 Br here in Canada cannot really be called differrent, it was what broke my resolve. I am 56 now or 672 months, so still young enough for other #1s to strike my fancy.

Randy formerly posting as medicman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fatjack34
one more thought...very old school traditional rifle in its concept...scope or iron sights...what say you?
I've used them all, but like either receiver sights or express sights.
bought my first No.1 in 1980, totally hooked and haven't looked back since!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I installed an aftermarket trigger, as the rifle definitely needs this.
I disagree. You may have definitely WANTED an aftermarket trigger, but the as-issued trigger can be tuned to a high degree of precision without a lot of trouble.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am 66+ years old. Acquired my first #1 a 7mm Mag about 20 years ago. Have since acquired a K1a in 6.5x55, a 7x57, a 300 H&H, a 35 whelan and a 450 Nitro. I hunt almost exclusely with #1s, expecially the 6.5 and the 7x57 as they are the most useful.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
T
T
I'm 61. Bought my first #1, a 1A 243, at age 31 when stationed in Hawaii. Used it to take my first Axis deer a year later. Have bought and sold several #1's over the years and now have a 1B in 22-250 and a 1H in 405 Win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Patrick,

GH

you nailed it for me right there. I'd love to have one, however raising a 2 year old myself and going to college full time (I graduate in december) leaves a tight budget for a #1. I shoulda been buying more stuff I wanted when I was in the Navy, income was a little more expendable then, and more of it.
as soon as I get up and running in a career, I'll be lookin at a #1 for sure

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Colorado1135, What caliber are you thinking about for your first No.1 ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
honestly I'm not sure
I have no "need" for one, just always loved the single shots. they are this day and age's sharps and I would think one in any caliber would be awesome. if I had to pick and narrow it down... hmmmmm 25-06 perhaps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
maybe a 6.5 something, 260, 6.5x55, 6.5-06

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hello all! I will be 46 in a month and just bought my first today! Picked up The No.1 Light Sporter in .303 British! Will let you know how it goes. JC

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Bought my first one when I was 22. .300 wby. I'm thirty now and between the old man and I we have 7 #1's and #3's (though the majority of the collection is his) Two are mine, the .300 and I also have a .270 wby.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Hello all! I will be 46 in a month and just bought my first today! Picked up The No.1 Light Sporter in .303 British! Will let you know how it goes. JC

Congratulations! I know I love mine.
Randy

Lester Roloff
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Got my 1st at 30. It was in 25-06. Since then I've owned a 416, 45-70, and a 338. The 338 is nice and shoots better than any of the others. I tend to go with big guns cause my camp is in the swamps of Mississippi and I don't want to chase deer and hogs across sloughs at 67 years of age.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
P
PJH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Bought my first, two years ago, at 28. Looking for one in 35 Whelen or 7x57 to pop up for the next one.

Shoot straight or shoot often.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colorado1135, What caliber are you thinking about for your first No.1 ?

actually this thought hasn't left my mind. I am still wanting a single shot ruger BAD, and I decided I don't want a #1. instead I think the ideal rifle would be a #3 in .357 maximum. unfortunately I don't think any have ever been made. I have been looking a lot and from what I see I know I would love a #3 more than a no 1. and with the 357 max the possibilities are endless. one could load way down and make it a plinker or load heavy and have a rifle capable of killing deer with ease.
if anyone knows how I could make a #3 357 max please let me know. especially if it can be done without spending a small fortune.

as of right now I'm really looking at a martini cadet because they are pretty close to a number 3 and are strong enough to handle some pretty hot loads, the likes I wouldn't even come close in the 357 max.

I have a son who is 2 1/2 right now, and I think that a rifle like this would be ideal to learn on. loaded light with cast bullets would provide very much light shooting and with cast bullets it would be cheap for dad(me) and as he grew up he could load heavier depending on what he wanted. I figure it would be worth it to spend a little money now on a rifle like this, that would be invaluable in the long run and take away from the need of several rifles growing up, and its something he and I can shoot, load and learn on. and someone who grows up shooting one rifle a lot will be able to shoot it very well.

my .02 worth on a sunday night. smile cheers

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
48 and just got the first one, 220 Swift 1V

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Starting with a 1A 26" barrel 300 winnie @ 35 YO. I bought it 4 monthes ago in France but I'm still glued with red tape ... I'll get it friday then I'll have a week to wait before I can register it as mine ... And then I'd make a custom from it.

You barely see no No 1, nor ruger rifle, at all around here. Hard to find one, impossible to find the one you want, very poor importation.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 03/27/11.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree, it would be much harder to be a rifle loonie in another country.

you ever make it over on this side of the pond, you have a place to come check out anyand all rifles I have to offer. just to try though smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just figure private gun sales, even from a UE country to another UE country, follow the same rules as international war weapons sales to foreign armies and governments (even the forms are the same, you just write "1" in the "how many weapons" column instead of hundreds or thousands).

So if the official and professional importator of a brand is not very pro-active (which is the case with ruger and sako) ... cry

Va t'in tch�re !
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Bought my first one when I was 37. Have had at least a half a dozen since then. Bought my last one at 67, probably my last one.

Dennis

Lets start over and talk about something you know about, like Mexican food.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
73 and still buying.Bought the first one in fall of 67 as soon as they were introduced,4 digit 1B in 243,still have it plus twelve more.You can't have too many.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 62413x2
73 and still buying.Bought the first one in fall of 67 as soon as they were introduced,4 digit 1B in 243,still have it plus twelve more.You can't have too many.

62413x2
Can you post a pic of your first one?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

62413x2

Here you go,only thing changed was vertical rings,still have them but don't like them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My first one was a gift from my Father about five years
ago. I'm 44 now, and counting the one on order, I'm up to
four. I keep telling myself at least it's better than spending it on dope and hookers blush At least when I'm gone
my kids can still get something out of 'em.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

62413x2

Here you go,only thing changed was vertical rings,still have them but don't like them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you. very nice !!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I agree, it would be much harder to be a rifle loonie in another country.

you ever make it over on this side of the pond, you have a place to come check out anyand all rifles I have to offer. just to try though smile

No rifles at all in Japan. A few shotguns, but all of my stuff including my No. 1 in .458 Win is packed away in the US.

BTW, I don't think the age thing is relevant today, with so much nostalgic stuff being released. Look at the cowboy action rage today. I am 71 but I bought my No. 1 over 27 years ago.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Bought my first one at age 50.

Is it bourbon o'clock yet ?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I joined the brotherhood in 2006
.300 win Stainless model
Since I've added an AB .270 win and a Tropical .375H&H
I am 45 now!

Last edited by campcreek66; 03/31/11.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

62413x2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you. very nice !!!

Here are a few of its brothers.
[Linked Image]

C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just joined at age 43 (No.1a in 6.5x55)

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My Dad gave me mine about 25 years ago. 25-06. if I had a few dollars for each of the groundhogs and crows . . . well I'd get another No1!!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
21 when I bought my first, 30 now.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,592
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.