Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
...with some 180-grain Federal factory loads I had lying around. After a couple of sighters at 25 yards, the first pair at 100 went into a little over an inch. After adjusting the scope I let the rifle cool down, then shot a 3-shot group. This landed right at point of aim and measured 1-1/2". This is a good beginning. Now for some handloads.

The scope is a 3x Leupold, which seems just about right. The scoped rifle weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This does us no good without pictures. Please help us aesthetically minded hedonists capture what you're trying to express. Especially of the rifle....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
you're killing me. 5 more weeks before I get home and can fondle mine for the first time. wonder which I play with first... the .303 or the girlfriend? choices choices...

The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Betting you can tighten those groups with the right powder and seating depth. Pretty good start with factory fodder.

But a pic or two would be nice, Mule Deer. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice shootin' JB. Now when ya gonna get started on the 450/400 3". whistle grin

maddog

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB
Mine will not be shipped till August 1. I have already drooled at the photos on the 303 thread, and to hear of your shooting makes the wait seem longer. Pretty good groups for factory loads.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I suspect this rifle will shoot pretty well with some handloads. One advantage is that the trigger is very good out of the box, pretty clean-breaking and right at 3 pounds.

I don't post photos on the Campfire. If I did, I'd spend WAY too much time posting photos on the Campfire.

Maddog, I have sighted in the .450/400 with factory loads and a 4x Leupold, and intend to start working on handloaders within the next week or two. I also have a 400-grain bullet mold that should add to the fun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The factory triggers on new #1's in the past few years have been one of the silent success stories in American rifles. The last few I've bought have been like your .303--3lbs, crisp and not needing any adjustment to shoot well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
.303s are addictive MD. Next thing you'll be asking for honorary Canuck status, as most of us have at least one 'stashed' somewhere, registered, naturally!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Rooney
.303s are addictive MD. Next thing you'll be asking for honorary Canuck status, as most of us have at least one 'stashed' somewhere, registered, naturally!

grin cool laugh blush smile whistle

Actually I don't own a .303....

Last edited by Nrut; 07/20/10.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It averages out, I own four, you really don't have to own one now. The anti gun crowd would prefer you to not own one at all, especially the ones with a ten shot magazine.

Randy

Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oregon45,

Yeah, I don't think I've bothered to do any tuning on any of the triggers on the last 4-5 new No. 1's I've purchased. That goes back a couple of years or so.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nrut...shame on you! medicman, when did all this change come about? I was given a .303 with my citizenship certificate, thought it was just part of the package.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
rooney,

Actually, I've had a .303 for a while, the "sporterized" No. 1 Mk. 4 SMLE that my uncle hunted with for years here in Montana. He gave it to me when he finally decided to quit hunting about 20 years ago.

Actually, quite a few people hunted with such rifles here in Montana for quite a while after World War II. When I started hunting big game in the mid-1960's there were barrels full of them in local hardware stores, usually selling for around $15-20, with the military stocks cut down and refinished. Some people put scopes on them, but many were used as-is, like my uncle's. In fact he killed his biggest mule deer with it back in the 60's, near Virginia City, Montana.

I take it out now and then, and it shoots just fine--but like a lot of SMLE's it's hard on brass!

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nrut...shame on you! medicman, when did all this change come about? I was given a .303 with my citizenship certificate, thought it was just part of the package.

When I went thru puberty in the late 50's you bought a Springfield 03-A3 from the NRA for less than $30.00 IIRC..
By the time I got my Canadian citizenship cretchin was PM & pee-aire's cultural diversity had gotten to the point where I was the only Anglo, male, English as a first language, person being sworn in that day out of a group of 44 fresh new citizens and immigration where no longer handing out .303's..
Believe me I would not turn down a free rifle.. smile
Sorry for the hi-jack.. blush

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB
I have two butchered SMLEs. One a no1mkIII and one a JC Higgens commercial sporter made from a no4mkII. The other two are a Long Branch no4 mkI and an Irish Constabulary no4 mkII. Those are full military configuration and will stay that way

The no1mkIII sporter was the meat gun for our family, and dad bought it from the local hardware store for $20 back in the late fifties or early sixties.

Randy

Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any educated 'assumptions' on how many firings from brass loaded in the new #1s? Five to six perhaps. Catinthehat from Ft. McMurray had a custom put together recently, perhaps he will enlighten.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
but like a lot of SMLE's it's hard on brass!

I know what you mean. But I'm sure as you know, those loose chambers are also what made them go bang anywhere from the Somme to the Sudan in any kind of conditions. I only wish they had put the bolt on the correct side. grin

Sounds like your #1 .303 ought to be a nice toy, hope you slay some critters with it.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I don't expect minimum chambers in military rifles.

I already have some tentative plans for the No. 1 this fall....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
JB,

What's the throat like in your No.1/303 in regards to length? Has it been long throated for the 215 grainers? My 1A 7x57 has a long throat which makes it difficult to seat bullets, of 140gn and lighter, 30 thou off the lands and still have enough bullet shank to grip in the case neck.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
The throat is pretty long. I've ordered some more .303 bullets (including 215 Woodleighs) but wanted to get started and all I could find locally was 150-grain Sierra Pro-Hunters. These will work fine as a deer load, but cannot be seated deeply enough to stay in the case necks and still reach the lands. It's a LONG throat.

However, often that doesn't matter if the throat is cut to not much over bulet diameter. We shall see how these loads do on a target.

John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
A Ruger, with a long throat! Whosa thunk it? wink

Now, if it's throated for the 215 Woodleighs, could there be a better combination?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just loaded some more rounds, and it turns out the throat is just about right for 180 Nosler Partitions seated with their base just above the bottom of the neck.

This may seem to be a weird thing to try, but our friend Ingqe took a .303 with him when we hunted Namibia 11 years ago, and he found that evidently 180 Partitions "bump up" enough to shoot pretty well in .303's. I hope to get to the range this afternoon and find out!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shhhhhhhhhh! blush

JB...alot of the .303 aficianados absolutely cringe at the thought of a .308 diameter bullet in a .312..... wink

BTW: did you have to swap out the expander ball to .308 to get them to seat snugly??

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think if they shoot well you should call it a 308 British or perhaps a 303 Krag... or just buy a number 1 in 30-30 and rechamber to 303 then you can use 308 bullets regularly.

IMHO The biggest weakness of the 303 is the odd bullet size making it another caliber one has to stock (not that many have issues with having to buy more bullets but it does bug me)

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks JB. I thought that might be the case. I reckon the .311 180gn Sierra might be the go as it's about the only 174/180gn spitzer in .303. At 2500-2550 fps it should give reliable performance. I think the 174gn Woodleigh might be a pointed bullet also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for talking dirty, but Epps says using a .308 barrel for the 303 Epps chamber works fine without pressure problems. I have shot .308 180s in my #1mkIII and chronographed them to be 100 ft/sec slower than the Sierra .311 180s. There was only a slight POI change at 100 yds of an inch lower and about a half inch right.

I wondered if they bumped a bit, but doubted it as the bullets are harder than lead, which shoot best for me in that rifle at .313,wheel weight and tempered. I have not shot that for years now.

Ingwe, those were great pictures of that Lee Enfield in Africa.

Randy

Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

I was shooting new Winchester brass and just ran the cases over the expander ball in a .308 Win. die. Plan to try swapping expander/decapping assemblies with fired brass--or maybe just see if brass sized without expander in the .303 die os about right.

The 180 Partitions grouped 3 shots into 1.5-2", not bad for a starting load that might be a little on the low side. Velocity as around 2450, about like factory loads, but that doesn't mean much in this instance. I started with 48 grains of H4350, as that's worked real well with 180's in several .30-40 Krags, and will bump it up a little, or try a little faster powder.

The 150 Sierra ProHunters shot real well, under 1.5" for 3 shots. Powder charge was 50 grains of Big Game for 2800 or so. That pretty much ends load development. Barnes makes a 150 TSX .303 bullet and some are on the way.

Some 180-grain Remiongton .303 Core-Lokt roundnoses also shot well, but the powder/charge was wrong so will try again with something else.

But as fas as I'm concerned the rifle is ready to go hunting.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ingwe,

It was new Winchester brass so I just ran them over the expander ball in a .308 Winchester die. Will switch out expander/decapping assembly on fired brass, or just see if running them into the .303 FL die is about right.

The 180 Partitions shot into 1.5-2", which will obviously work fine. Velocity is around 2450, about like factory loads, so will bump up the powder charge and see if that affects anything.

I also loaded some .308 180 Speer DeepCurls with the same load but didn't get a chance to shoot them as a thunderstorm was coming up. The concave base might help them to bump up.

Some 180 Remington Core-Lokt .303 roundnoses shot OK but strung vertically due to the wrong powder and charge. Will retry with the same load used with the Partitions.

The 150 Sierra ProHunters shot into less than 1.5" at 2800 (50 grains of Ramshot Big Game) so are good to go.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You mean to say that you purchased a rifle, completed load development, and are ready to hunting in less than three days? Isn't load development meant to be an arduous journey culminating in the "perfect load" only after several weeks of hand-wringing and scope-blaming and bullet manufacturer bad-mouthing? grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tom,

I started with 48 grains of H4350, as that's worked real well with 180's in several .30-40 Krags, and will bump it up a little, or try a little faster powder.

JB: try a little 4895 in it, thats what I was using when we went to Africa...as for the expander ball, I just screwed a .308 ball on to the rod in the .303 sizer, and called it a day. Thats good speed from a .308 diameter boolit,so something must be working without too much gas getting by...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JB, I've used R15 with 200 and 220 Partitions with the first attempts printing into 1" out of a 100 yr old W.R.
36gr/220 gave 2046 f/s which is close enough to the original 215 @ 2050 for gov't work!

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ingwe,

It was new Winchester brass so I just ran them over the expander ball in a .308 Winchester die. Will switch out expander/decapping assembly on fired brass, or just see if running them into the .303 FL die is about right.

The 180 Partitions shot into 1.5-2", which will obviously work fine. Velocity is around 2450, about like factory loads, so will bump up the powder charge and see if that affects anything.

I also loaded some .308 180 Speer DeepCurls with the same load but didn't get a chance to shoot them as a thunderstorm was coming up. The concave base might help them to bump up.

Some 180 Remington Core-Lokt .303 roundnoses shot OK but strung vertically due to the wrong powder and charge. Will retry with the same load used with the Partitions.

The 150 Sierra ProHunters shot into less than 1.5" at 2800 (50 grains of Ramshot Big Game) so are good to go.

MD,

Could you elaborate on your statement about vertical stringing due to wrong powder/charge?

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
They were some leftover loads from some trials with my Lee-Enfield, using 40 grains of Ramshot TAC.

TAC is a great powder, but generally needs to be loaded to at least 55,000 psi to perform consistently. This charge was too low, and velocites varied around 175 fps. I may or may not try heavier charges, as my suspicion is that Big Game will work better.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you run a patch down the barrel yet? If so,did it feel any smoother that #1's of times past..My .300HH does...

I have some .312/215RN already cast if you want to try some....rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I ran a patch down it when I slugged the bore. Also looked at it in the bore-scope. It's very smooth. In my experience all Ruger barrels have been very smooth for at least the last decade or so.

Thanks for the offer of the cast bullets, but a friend already gave me some.

I might even try this rifle with black powder, as the .303 started out as a BP cartridge--though it didn't stay that way long.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't forget your pith helmet! d:^)

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not all those who carried the 303 wore pith helmets, there were quite a few who had to wear long johns under their putties. The .577 snieder would more favourably represent the pith helmet.
Randy

Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tried it again today, both with a couple more grains of H4350 and the IMR4895 that Ingwe suggested. I tried 43.0 grains of 4895, two grains over the max listed by Sierra. Also tried some Speer DeepCurl loads left over from yesterday, with 48.0 H4350.

The winner is looking to be the 50.0 H4350 load, which group into around 1-1/4" at 2600 fps. The other two would work as well, but are around 2500 fps and group around 1-3/4" to 2". I'll have to shoot the 50/H4350 load some more to make sure, of course, but it looks real good so far.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were some leftover loads from some trials with my Lee-Enfield, using 40 grains of Ramshot TAC.

TAC is a great powder, but generally needs to be loaded to at least 55,000 psi to perform consistently. This charge was too low, and velocites varied around 175 fps. I may or may not try heavier charges, as my suspicion is that Big Game will work better.

Thank you for your info, that answered my question.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are doing some nice handloading and shooting with these .303's. Interesting stuff here.
Amphibious: Uhhh, the girlfriend. The rifle isn't going anywhere!
Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a little too young to remember the barrels of Mk 5s at the Army and Navy discount department store in New Westminster,but I remember the nicely sporterized ones on the column. In '67,a deluxe sporterized 303,a box of Dominion shells and a hunting licence would give you change from a fifty.

My load for my P-14 is 44.5 grs of IMR 4064 and either a 180 or 150 Speer.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 07/22/10.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, I want one of those 303 #1s! Can we yanks get-'um?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Here's a search on GunsAmerica for Ruger No 1's in .303 British:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/C...e=&distance=0&limittostate=&

-Bob F.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember the old lee-enfield I had as a teenager.I remember buying a box of Imperial ammo loaded with 215 gr round nose. If i were to get another 303 this is the weight bullet I would want. I know they are made,but wish someone like Hornady would make them.But I guess a 174 gr would do to.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That was the 215 KKSP (klingkor soft point). I have a hundred I've been hoarding. A few years ago, I got a sample of some real nice 225 grain bullets but I lost the contact info. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That sounds familiar,KKSP, going back 25ish years,yikes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any educated 'assumptions' on how many firings from brass loaded in the new #1s? Five to six perhaps. Catinthehat from Ft. McMurray had a custom put together recently, perhaps he will enlighten.

Unfortunately my Ruger is only on its way now!:>(
However, the brass life from these Rugers will be much higher than an old N0.1 or No.4 Enfield, simply because of the action.
I fully expect to get the same case life from this rifle as I would from any of my rimmed cased guns, and with the tighter chamber, even more so than some of them.
Mule Deer has seen this rifle apparently, and Bill told me that he gave it his approval!:>)
First thing I will have to do of course, is work up loads, the load that Bill used when he tested the rifle is pretty warm, but there were no pressure signs, and everything is fine.
Sadly, however, Ol' Bill's eyes could not focus on the front sight properly with only a 24" sight plane and he did not file the rear express sights ( my job!) , so 100 yard groups were not spectacular, but still "minute of deer"!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When it comes to brass life, there are a lot of qualifiers. I will say, if the headspace is minimum, if the cases are partial sized or neck sized, I see no reason not to expect the same kind of brass life as from any other cartridge. In other words, I would expect a dozen loadings or better before seeing the occasional failure due to neck splits. Anneal the neck/shoulder area after ten loadings and I see no reason not to expect twenty. Case stretching should be minimal and trimming infrequent. I would expect this to be the case with loads at 308 Winchester pressure levels.
Now, if the rifle is chambered with a couple thou headspace, if the brass is on the minimum side in rim thickness, it would not be outside the realm of possibility to have .006" head clearance on new brass. In this situation, if brass was full length resized and the shoulder set back, separations would occur in about 4 or 5 firings.
What I'm trying to say is, in a rifle like the Number One or a P14, brass life is what you make it by your reloading technique. There is nothing about the cartridge which would limit case life in any way. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a little jealous laugh

Last edited by Gatehouse; 07/28/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFaucett

Here's a search on GunsAmerica for Ruger No 1's in .303 British:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/C...e=&distance=0&limittostate=&

-Bob F.

Thanks for the link, Bob. Dang, they are proud of them, aren't they? $1130!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BR,

I picked up my .303 today... Hold your mouth right and I just might let you fondle it... or maybe even shoot it. smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awe jeez, that would be sweet. Shoot me a PM. I'll bring tea and crumpets (Heineken and chips).

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody know the barrel lenght?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
rifle,

Bbl length is 22".

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How's the Foot?

Come on America,

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Getting better, Hope to be able to get into a shoe next week... smile Once I can get a shoe on, then it's back on the Harley. smirk I'm not walking too good, tho'...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
take care man...we'll get together soon..!

Come on America,

B
B
Good Morning all, Just a short note, I put together a Springfield made No4 SMLE many years ago but used a 308 barrel chambered for the 303 case, It gives me many options in choosing the best projectile, The best has been the 150g Sierra SPBT. It is still my favourite pig rifle some 30 years later

Regards all
Bravo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer...what's the latest "do all load" you've worked up? I hope to be getting mine soon...rifle

Last edited by rifle; 08/22/10.

Come on America,

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I gotta admit if I had my choice between .30 Army and .303 for a new #1 (and I love 'em both), it would have to be the .303 , hands down! No question!

Congrats to all who have been lucky enough to snag one!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kaywoodie,Why the 303 over the 30/40?

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
rifle,

Haven't done any more shooting or load experimentation since I first got it, due to other rifle priorities. But did get in some new bullets from Sierra and Barnes that should prove interesting.

I expect a 150 TSX at 2800+ would be a useful all-around load.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
kaywoodie,Why the 303 over the 30/40?

If I may paraphrase another infamous forum member, it's really nothing other than the "panache" of the cartridge. Nothing ballistic, just cartridge coolness! wink

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well,I looked at one yesterday at Cabelas,plain wood and a lot more than the .300HH I just picked up.I did not fall in love with the 22'' tube..I passed,but I did come home with a full-stocked Interarms Mauser. Maybe if the wood was better,I'd go for it, but I've seen cardboard with more figure.....

Come on America,

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD- I know this is a sorta of an old thread, but how are you scoping your #1's?

Are you doing anything with the mounts? What scope works for you?

I'm trying to get a handle on this.

Thanks,
AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
K
K
I just received mine this weekend,
scoped it with a 2x7 as the physical size was not overwhelming for the size of the rifle, and the power fit the 303 caliber. Hope to be able to shoot it in a couple of weeks.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a L 2-7 VXII on a 7 x 57. I love the scope, and the size and weight is great on my 1A. However, the eye relief doesn't work for me through the range of magnification.

I was thinking to put a M8 on one, but I don't think they would work for me either.

So... I was looking for other alternatives. I thought maybe JB would comment, but I guess not.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I haven't made a decision as to what to scope my .303 with. as yyet... But I'm thinking an old "long-tube" Leupold 4x with a post & CH or a CPC... I have one of each "stashed".

Trouble is, I like 8x - 12X to work up loads with. Not that I shoot that much smaller groups, it just removes some of the guess work. blush

GH

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
AJD,

I've got a 6x36 M8 Leupold on mine, with the Duplex reticle, in the Ruger rings that came with the rifle. So far it seems to work fine.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
figured i would chime in that if anyone in Montana is looking for one i noticed one at Cabela's in Billings a couple days ago......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rattler
figured i would chime in that if anyone in Montana is looking for one i noticed one at Cabela's in Billings a couple days ago......

FWIW Was at the Post Falls, ID Cabelas last weekend and they had one in stock as well.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bravo
Good Morning all, Just a short note, I put together a Springfield made No4 SMLE many years ago but used a 308 barrel chambered for the 303 case, It gives me many options in choosing the best projectile, The best has been the 150g Sierra SPBT. It is still my favourite pig rifle some 30 years later

Regards all
Bravo

With Lee Enfields, this is the way to go. If the original barrel is shot out, put a 308 diameter barrel on it. This has been done for many years. As Bravo says, it gives you more bullets from which to choose.

You'll find that with 174/180 grain bullets, IMR 4350, Re 15 and Varget will all perform quite well. With 4350, velocities will be down a little compared to the other two.

150s will work best with middle of the road powders like 4895 or 4064.

Even though the No 1 is a strong action, it's best to resist the temptation to hotrod this cartridge. The droopy shoulders will let the case stretch, even with the Ruger's tighter than military chamber. A 180 grain bullet traveling at 2400 - 2500 fps will get the job done with no fuss.

Congratulations to all that got a No 1 in this chambering!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I haven't made a decision as to what to scope my .303 with. as yyet... But I'm thinking an old "long-tube" Leupold 4x with a post & CH or a CPC... I have one of each "stashed".

That's exactly what I was thinking about putting on mine. Second choice would be a VXIII in 1.5x5.

I had to wait and get in on the second batch of 303s coming to Canada, so won't see mine till later in the year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got mine today. The wood is ok but not exceptual. Hope to load tomorrow and wring it out Sunday. I got your 200 grain bullets today Steve, and they look very good.
Randy

Lester Roloff
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would any of the magic be lost if a .308 barrel was chambered
308/303 British?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Furprick
Would any of the magic be lost if a .308 barrel was chambered
308/303 British?

Yes ..... That would be like putting ketsup on good steak.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Re. the "droopy shoulders will let the case stretch"; this is absolute hogwash. I have some Winchester brass which started out at 2.206". After eight loadings of 174 Sierras at 2640 fps (26 inch barrel, match chamber, zero head clearance), they measure 2.210. If four thou growth after eight loadings strikes you as severe, your criteria is much stricter than mine.
Many might be surprised to learn the shoulder angle on the 303 is actually just the same as on the 308 Winchester (actually, the nominal angle for the 303 is approximately 1/4 of one degree sharper than that of the 308 but I wouldn't quibble over it).
Having said this, I have to agree that there is little reason to load those 180's much over 2500 fps. They really do work real well at that speed. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 2500 was all I could get with IMR-4064 and Speer 180s,.3105". I ran out of room. It was a P-14.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by greydog
Re. the "droopy shoulders will let the case stretch"; this is absolute hogwash...

As always GD, whatever you want to think is fine with me. I often find you full of hogwash.

WRT rebarreling to 308, it's a sensible thing to do if the barrel is shot out. Being able to choose from a larger number of weights is nice. Besides, try and find a .311 barrel these days. It can prove difficult.

I don't believe that there's any advantage pushing the bullets faster than 2400-2500 fps. My belief has always been that if you want more horsepower, it's best to move up to a 300 WM or similar.

I'm glad to hear that the bullets arrived safely, Randy. Good luck this fall.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
K
I feel if you have a pet rifle it should be performing at it's optimum. There's a 10% velocity increase to be had, at about an increase of 20% in chamber pressure, in this 303 brit #1. I fully intend to find it, while achieving quality accuracy.
But evan, if your interested in just throwing stones, why not try a sling shot.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, I, for one, intend to enjoy my #1 in .303 for exactly what it is. I have no need for anything more. If I did, I'd just use my .30-06, or my 8x57, or my .300 Win Mag, or my 325 WSM, or my .338 Ultra, or my.... etc... on up to my .416 Rem Mag, et.al.

My point being: I don't have to hot rod ANYTHING I have because I ALWAYS have something else more powerful. And one day I intend to have a .470 NE. (Just because I have dies and brass...) Should I ever need it...

If one continues to "Hot Rod", eventually one will stray a bit too far... Oft times at a price he may not want to pay... (Don't laugh, it's happened before...) Mistakes can and do happen... I prefer to retain the saftey margin that the factory ballisticians recommend... For the same reasons, I don't remove the kickback guard from my chain saw... or the safety guards from my table saw... However, YMMV...

GH

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm firmly in the same camp as Steve and Grasshopper on this. If I want a bit more out of my 30-06, I take my 300 Win Mag, and if I need more than that, I take my 405. A 303 is a good chambering as is. I have come close to book loads in the 30-06, but any more, I find that an extra 100 ft/sec is undiscernable by the average deer or moose. YMMV

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 4 #1's that cover most everything.25/06-7x57-300 H&H and 405 Winchester.I would like to have more but can not afford it.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steve,
I am only trying to get you to quit making erroneous statements. While an extra hundred fps doesn't do much for us in the field, it also does no harm. The point here is; the shoulder angle doen't cause case stretch. Neither do heavier loads since there is very little stretch to the Number One action. Now, if the rifle is chambered with generous headspace and sizing is excessive, cases will certainly stretch. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the range today. 150gr Tsx with Varget powder. Ladder load using 41 to 46.5 gr 46.5gr is over max suggested by the Hodgdon manual, but velocities were normal and no pressure signs.

first 6 shots made pairs next to each other but each pair is 3 inches apart from the next one!!

Last 3 shots made a 2 inch group. Very weird. Maybe I will have to play with the forend or something. And maybe I will try 4895 podwder. Wish I brouht my loading gear with me.

Here is the target from today. I think the powder (Varget) is not going to work...The pressure seems pretty erratic, especially as on 2 occasions the powder charge was increased and I saw a decrease in velocity. Going ot try H4895 tomorrow. The rifle shot 1.75" group with 174gr FMJ factory ammo, so I htink the rifle is not diseased, and I've never ever had TSX bullets shoot so erratically, so I'm thinking it's a powder problem.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I ran into much the same thing with Varget in the 35 Whelen and it also didn't work all that well in the 303 Match rifle. FWIW, 4895 was far and away the most accurate powder with 174's and 150's. 4320 was also very good and gave higher velocities. 2800 fps with 150's should be perfectly fine. Number Ones do have a tendency to shoot vertical groups. Forend tip pressure should be about seven or eight pounds. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my first #1, so thanks for the tip. I assume you mean tighten the forend screw to 7-8 ft/lbs?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No, I mean it should take about seven or eight pounds of effort to pull the forend away from the barrel. Often, the forend comes with way too much pressure. This can be adjusted with the screw but, ultimately, should be set permanently with epoxy. In addition, the forend shouldn't be sloppy, side to side. Number ones can really shoot well and the 1A is the perfect rifle to carry. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, I will pull on the forestock and see. I tend to be a bit ham fisted so I will try not to rip the stock off smile

Going to go see how H4895 does today. The factory ammo I shot was decent, but always 2 bullets together and 1 bullet 1.75" out... So some form of bedding or voodoo to the rifle may be in order, but I knwo this rifle will shoot better than my Varget test. I know there are some #1 accurizing articles and methods out there, but I haven't looked into it just yet. Any help is appreciated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sierra lod work up, 42- 45.5 H4895

[Linked Image]

TSX work up

40-45.5 H4895

[Linked Image]

Forend screw was really tight, so I loosened it off and just snugged it up a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe your gun would shoot better if you stayed within the max loads listed in your manuals. Just a thought.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe your gun would shoot better if you stayed within the max loads listed in your manuals. Just a thought.

I don't think that there is any manual listing data for a .303 in a Ruger #1....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Probably right, but it can't hurt to try near max from the manuals, but you are a shooter with some experience, so I assume you already knew that. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd think those "max loads" would be reduced for safe shooting in the Lee Enfield. I'd have no problem trying heavier loads in a modern #1 Ruger.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have loaded 200 gr 303 at 2200 and 2300 and will try them this afternoon. Need to sight in scope.

Randy formerly posting as medicman
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
So, how did they shoot? wink

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Randy, are those the ones you just got from me? They are .314s and will be three thou oversize for the Ruger.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve

Are you sure the ruger is .311? I have not slugged it. I will shoot them in the #4mk1 and mk2 that I have in that case. Thanks for the heads up. The 46 gr of 4350 fills up the case and needs a severe crimp to keep oal of 3.00". I have decided on 38 gr of AA2460 as it is about 2200 and lots of room for seating bullets.

Randy

Randy formerly posting as medicman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
According to Ruger, it's a .311 barrel. It's best to stick with .311 diameter bullets for the No 1.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
K
I finally got to shoot mine, factory ammo winchester 180's. All shots were within 2" horiz and 4.5" vertical. I will freefloat the barrel and try to remove the vertical tracking. My next trial will be in 2 wks, can't wait.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I slugged my No. 1's barrel and the grooves measured .313 with a Starrett micrometer.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Okay. Ruger told me .311.

2 thou is quite a bit to be out, but should serve as a reminder that it's in everyone's interest not to blindly accept information without verifying same.

Randy, if you slug your barrel and it is also .313, you're good to go with the 200s.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,

I slugged my No. 1's barrel and the grooves measured .313 with a Starrett micrometer.

So are shooting .311 bullets going to be an issue?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt it, since it shoots very well with .308 bullets.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't tell Dave..... wink

Ingwe

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
My lips are sealed!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wouldn't the barnes .311 bullets that gatehouse is shooting have a harder time slugging up?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
Steve,

So are shooting .311 bullets going to be an issue?

Shooting slightly undersized bullets is rarely a problem. If it's shooting .308 bullets well but John says that his bore measures .313, it tells me that his loads are warm for a 303, but not for the action.

John, your H4350 load is compressed and running close to 50KPSI I expect. That would explain why the bullets are bumping up enough.

When Ruger first announced that they were going to chamber this cartridge, I contacted them and asked about the bore. They told me .311.

I have fired off an email and will phone.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Aletheuo
Wouldn't the barnes .311 bullets that gatehouse is shooting have a harder time slugging up?

That all depends on how hard he's pushing them.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't think the Barnes will bump up at all. In fact, it takes a pretty soft bullet to do much bumping up. The only cases where I have been certain of bullet upset was with black powder and lead bullets. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barnes 150gr TSX @ 3.14" OAL
44.5grs IMR 8208xbr
2730 fps avg

Sierra 150gr ProHunter @ 3.0" OAL
45.0 grs Varget
2640 fps avg

Sierra 180gr ProHunter @ 3.1" OAL
47.0 grs RL17
2400 fps avg

Winchester 180gr Silvertip factory load
2300 fps avg

Accuracy with the Sierra loads was 2.25-2.5" 5 shot @ 100m. The TSX was similar for 3 shot groups. I get vertical stringing, might have to tinker with tension or bed the forend

[Linked Image]

K
K
Hi All
I free floated the barrel one my 303 #1 and was able to reduce the vertical stringing to a 1.5 " group (including the first cold shot with a clean barrel). 180gr winchester factory loads.
I then loaded some 174 gr sierra hpbt to work a ladder 38.6gr h4895 to 40.5 gr. I found below 39.8 gr I had a lot of carbon fouling around the outside of the brass, this fouling stopped above this load. Possibily the cartriges are not seeing enough pressure to seal the sides to the chamber. Has anyone seen this problem?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

K
K
Found a load this 1A in 303 british likes.
39.9gr H4895 174gr sierra HPBT
(3) 3shot groups of 1" or less at 100M
this was including the first shot from a cold clean barrel.
I am very pleased with the accuracy of this rifle,
now i can relax and become intimate with it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is right on the money, load wise.

It should be giving you about 2440 fps, which years of commercial and home reloading has proven just about perfect.

I'm glad to hear that you've found the sweet spot for your rifle.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I do not shoot a .303, but I've seen the same thing in my #1 7x57, which has a very long throat (70s vintage rifle). I will often see it with mid-range loads with slower powders. Once I get up to top listed load, it usually disappears.

Regards,
Ben
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,649
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.