Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have to recommend these little jewels after my first run with them in my new Weber grill. They cost more, but light quickly, burn hotter (much hotter), and produce less ash, and far less sparks in the light up process than the lump stuff I normally use. I have been using lump charcoal in the past, and while it burns very hot, it produces lots of sparks and ash, and there are so many small bits and pieces that you lose much of what you buy because it slips through the chimney or grill grates. Last night I used a full Weber chimney starter of the Competetion stuff for 2 ribeye steaks. I figured it was more than I needed, but wanted to see how it lit. It turned out to be far more than I needed, and 2 ribeye steaks (@ 1" thick) were Med. Rare in about 3 minutes cook time, with really good searing. I wish I'd taken the time to go to my butcher to buy some sho-nuff nice steaks about 1.5" thick, but was craving, and bought "normal store meat market" steaks at Publix at a later hour. Anyway...the new Kingsford stuff beats the hell out of the lump stuff I can find in these parts for ease of use, and it's all natural like the lump product. Reviews that I can find online seem to mirror my findings. Though they cost more, I'd think I could use less for my normal 1 and 2 person grilling chores.

Anybody else using this stuff?

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've tried them and the little grooves do make for a hotter and faster fire. All about air flow. That's why I use lump. But then of course it costs more upfront.

Sure do wished Wicked Good Charcoal had not done away with their competition lump. That was the best!!!!!!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why did you have to go bringing up Wicked Good Competition Blend?? Man I loved that stuff!! We have begged Larry for more but but no dice, I think his supplier must have dried up.

280 have you seen Whiz's test and report on the Competition Briquettes? Seems to mirror what you found.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duxndogs
Why did you have to go bringing up Wicked Good Competition Blend?? Man I loved that stuff!! We have begged Larry for more but but no dice, I think his supplier must have dried up.

280 have you seen Whiz's test and report on the Competition Briquettes? Seems to mirror what you found.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm

I did see that. The Wicked Good stuff looks like da bomb, but I've never seen it before. I've always used lump...but there's so much waste with it. The Competition seems to be worth the extra money up front because of it's effeciency unless you can find the Wicked Good.

War Damn Eagle!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
dux,

I just don't understand why he stopped making it. I first thought because there was Canadian Oak/Maple, which really is "da bomb!" But don't know. What I do know---I was always able to run a BGE-LG from Friday noon to Sunday supper with a half bag using his stuff.

Perfect cooking world I'd only be using Canadian Oak/Maple, NC Apple and FL Orange woods every cook. And of course, TX woods for beef.

Hawaiian and other far east fuels/woods are interesting as well.

David

Last edited by byc; 07/19/10.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim, when our move to WV is complete I fear my source for Royal Oak may be in jeopardy.I'd like to give the Kingsford Competition Briquettes a try.

Available at Wally World and such ??

TIA,284

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BYC
I have no idea what happened details are few, last time I talked to Frank he said he still gets daily requests for the competition blend and could sell as much as he could make but it wasn't gonna happen.

Tell me about the Fl Orange, I've got a chance to get some but have never cooked with it

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Jim, when our move to WV is complete I fear my source for Royal Oak may be in jeopardy.I'd like to give the Kingsford Competition Briquettes a try.

Available at Wally World and such ??

TIA,284

I don't go to Wally World for groceries anymore since my Publix opened, but I would assume it's available whereever Kingsford can be found.

War Damn Eagle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 18 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.