Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, so I am not well versed in lever actions (to be honest, I'm not terribly well versed in anything, but I digress) what this there not to like about the Marlin 336? I am especially interested in the laminated BL version, but what are the strengths and weaknesses of the 336 action in general? Thanks.

Larry

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine would jam up with lever extended on second shot. Good saddle gun, thats it, if you don;t do horses then get something else.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own two Marlin 336 rifles in .30-30. I have never had a jam in mine using Fed., Win., and Rem. factory ammo. And over the years, I've fired a whole lot of rounds through one, and about 75 through the other which I recently bought at a good price.

Not saying Canuck's problem is this, but if you do not keep the lever screw tight, and the loading gate screw tight, jams can happen sometimes. I keep mine tight.

I've owned five Win. 94s and sold them all.

I'll take a Marlin 336 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I agree with Leanwolf, and the 336 is much easier to clean from the receiver end than a 94. One screw removed and the lever and bolt comes out for cleaning. Accurate too, most 336 will group around an inch with many grouping under an inch.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have several and have had several more. Can't recall a problem but they are like Mausers, the action is meant to be WORKED, wimpy don't cut it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never had a problem with my 30-30 336. Can't recall a single jam, come to think of it. Awesome and fun weapon to work.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think the 336 is a great rifle. However in the Marlin line I am more fond of the 1894 in a pistol cartridge.

One thing to avoid jams is to do a smooth and fast lever motion. Do not stop or hesitate. You can also "slick" it up a bit with regular old tooth paste. Just apply tooth paste to the areas where the metal parts touch and work the action. Then clean it off. Then repeat. You wil be surprised how well you can "slick er up". Tom.

West By God Virginia
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Marlin 336 is a well proven platform. In any of the available cartridges, one will give you many of years of dependable service. The 336 is a classic woods rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If hard pressed to chose, I would say the Marlin 336/1895 is my favorite rifle of all (the Savage 99 and Winchester 1886 would also be in the running). I have owned dozens of different configurations in just about every chambering ever offered by Marlin. I have yet to own one that was not accurate. Some have been scary, bolt action accurate. The only one I ever had trouble with was the very first Marlin I ever owned. It was a 1985 336 in 35 Remington. It would jam fairly often. Since then, no trouble at all. The 336 is handy, well balanced, solid, reliable and very easy to accessorize with aftermarket sights, scope mounts etc. They are so ubiquitous that it is easy to dismiss them as mass produced middling quality rifles. In fact, they are very well made.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 07/27/10.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 with Leanwolf for all but the Winchester comments.

I like my older Winchesters, a lot. But the Marlin is easier to clean and generally more accurate overall.

My 36, precurser to the 336 (same action)is a great gun. Accurate, have not had a jam, and dead on reliable.

Typical Marlin 336.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I own two Marlin 336 rifles in .30-30. I have never had a jam in mine using Fed., Win., and Rem. factory ammo. And over the years, I've fired a whole lot of rounds through one, and about 75 through the other which I recently bought at a good price.

Not saying Canuck's problem is this, but if you do not keep the lever screw tight, and the loading gate screw tight, jams can happen sometimes. I keep mine tight.

I've owned five Win. 94s and sold them all.

I'll take a Marlin 336 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. wink

L.W.

Yeah I chose the 336 over the 94 because of the ejection and the not requiring to pull up on the lever to shoot. The barrel has some slight rust powder now. Parked for 35 years now. Isn't that something -a rifle never fired for 35 years; I don't think I need it anymore. Nobody wants them old rifles in 30-30;

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I do.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had a few 336's and never anything but good consistency. I much prefer the side eject of the 336.

CLB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, I wonder how many fellas got the neck burn from the 94 because of this?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have too many of both the 336 and the 94. The 336 in .35Rem may be one of the most favored rifles for northern woods. I like the sporting carbine with the short magazine. Most of my 94's are in .32win. My favorite may be a 16" Wrangler that I replaced the hoop lever with a standard lever. A great pickup seat and scabbard gun for the 4-wheeler.

I like both for different reasons. Marlins favor scopes. Winchesters pull like Winchesters. I have never had problems with either and accuracy has always been acceptable with my experience leaning to the Marlins. Good luck.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
the only jams I've had with my 336 are with the hornady leverevolution ammo, when the magazine is loaded to capacity. Something about the way that soft tip behaves in there sometimes causes that first shell out of the magazine to hang up partway out. If I don't load it to capacity, it's fine. Other "regular" lever action ammo has been fine.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Never had that happen with mine and LR ammo.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I gave $350 for this 1974 model a couple of years ago,....American made,..all walnut and steel. It now wears a Weaver V3 scope and will shoot into 3" at 100 yards with a variety of loads. It's just *awful* hard to buy this kind of quality for $350,..in firearms or anything else.

[Linked Image]

Paid $450 for this 1950 model,..which sports cut Ballard rifling and an old steel Lyman receiver sight.

[Linked Image]

My opinion on them?,..they're not for sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifles Bristoe, here is one made in 1979 that I bought last month from a friend. I put the scope on it last week, been too hot this week for the range, so I will get out next week to zero it.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had two, both in the bigger calibers (.444 and .45-70), and both have run perfectly with more-than-acceptable accuracy. My father had a .30-30, and I've known several people who have them, and again, they've been very dependable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zeroed the 35 Rem in the picture above this morning and then began testing some handloads using A2015; the 34.0 grain/Speer 180 HotCore/CCI-200 load is shooting three round, 3/4" groups at 100 yards! The load measured 2056 fps with my Beta Master Chrony set at 10' at 82 F. These M336 Marlins blow my mind, outshooting many of my bolt guns with no more tweeking than a scope and a handload. I think I am going to swear off bolt actions and go completely to Marlin leverguns.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Marlin 336 is a proven winner, made its bones a long time ago and has been serving sportsmen for many years with success..If one has a bad one, it would be my guess somebody has been monkeying with it at some point..I have never had one jam and have owned a number of them over the years..Not my favorite rifle but certainly a great rifle.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
The Marlin 336 is a proven winner, made its bones a long time ago and has been serving sportsmen for many years with success..If one has a bad one, it would be my guess somebody has been monkeying with it at some point..I have never had one jam and have owned a number of them over the years..Not my favorite rifle but certainly a great rifle.

Ray's advice sums up Marlin 'Thutty thuttys' quite nicely...especially the last line.....one's favourite rifle might be a fullwood AAA grade walnut stocked M 98 custom whatever....... but when its dusty n' dirty and the huntin's rough... you're going to reach into the gunsafe for the Marlin... grin

Sunny Australia ....but currently stuck in Spain..
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This carbine is Glenfield 30GT made by Marlin but parts are interchangeable with 336. I bought it new in 1979 at the Western Auto Store in Lusk, Wyoming. Price was $129.99 - No Kidding! But not for sale or trade; this carbine stays in the family after I'm gone.

Its been a great sturdy carbine for me and my extended family and has slain many animals. The photo shows me and a nice muley I took after a long stalk in rough country of western South Dakota. One shot through the chest organs put this buck down at a distance of approx 120 yards or so. The animal leaped forward at the shot but toppled after a couple jumps.

In contrast, I've observed hunting shows on TV where the muley ran 75 yards or farther with identical shot placement from a big magnum rifle. Does this mean the moderate velocity 170 grain 30-30 bullet hits 'em harder? Any opinions/comments are welcome.

30-30 is a KEEPER!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like them, and I'll always have more than one. They're well built, good looking, very accurate, and reliable. A friend recently got me interested in reloading, so once I get that all set up, it should make them even more fun.
All I own in centerfire rifles any more is 336's, 1894's in .357 and .44, a 95 in 45-70, and a Savage 99 (love them too- more of those would be VERY nice, like a .358 cool )
The only bolts I have left are rimfires (and I think somewhere, Grandpa's old JC Higgins 20 guage smile )

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I�ve owned and used a 336 for over 40 years. I currently own 3 and have as many as 5 at one time. A 336 was the only rifle I used for about 20 years. In all that time I�ve only had one jam and it was my fault. I was loading the rifle with gloves on and let a cartridge slip back under the loading gate.
They are well built and the actions are very strong.
They are heavier and quieter than a M94.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sherwood, I had on I one those but mine didn�t have the pressed checkrein. I got used in January 1968. I bailed I friend out of jail on DUI charge and he gave me the rifle. He bought it new in October of 1967 from Sears for $80. It cost me $50.
I killed a truckload or two with that rifle. But in a weak monument I traded it and $150 for a new M700 in 1987.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Boy did you get took HaHa

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Marlin Pro's & Con's ???
----------------------
I'm "Pro" on just about 'Everything' Marlin.

I'm "Con" on (maybe) the 'thickness' and the 'checkering' of stock on some Marlin models. Also, whether 'straight grip" or "pistol grip" configuration, on some models.

Otherwise, NO real complaints!

I have two Marlin 336 lever rifles, a 336-Y "Spikehorn" (30-30 Win.) and a 336-C (35 Rem.) - Great little hunting rifles to 'carry' when walking through tall-grass and brush.

The modern '336' round-bolt design is of a stronger and superior design than the old "94" actions. But, ALL the Marlin lever guns are built 'Strong', IMO.

I also have Marlin M-1894's (.357 Mag, and two .41 Mag's.) And one Marlin 1895-GS (45-70 Govt.)

I have found all of my Marlins to be 100% reliable and accurate right out-of-the-box ... and if that's just "luck"? , I'll take it.

I do regret having ever sold the old Winchesters that I have owned through the years ... as they were all good rifles too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most M336s dont do anything for me, but I want to own
every 336SC that I see. Dont have one now, but want to
get a drilled and tapped "shooter" in .35 Rem.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Marlin 336's are great guns. I have several. Most issues like jamming or letting a 2nd round in can be because of loose action screws. (loading gate). They are a little heavier then a Win 94. Just as well made and usually more acurate.(at least the one's I have owned) They really come into there own if you want to scope them, it's a natural fit.
Karl

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't owned a lot of 336's but have owned at least a couple .30-30's (one sold by Montgomery Ward under their brand name--it was my dad's and I shot my first deer with it), a .32 Special and a .35 Remington. All functioned perfectly and shot well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've heard them called meat guns, that they don't have the range of a .30-06 etc. Frankly, they are ideal guns for much of the deer habitat in the eastern U.S. but certainly a 200-250 yard gun at most. They are light, carry and handle well and scoping them is a slam dunk.

They seem sensitive to hard primers so reloaders must be careful. I think I had trouble with CCI's while federals worked every time. The .35 Rem is perhaps the most popular and reloaders must not set the shoulder (what shoulder?) back, affecting headspace.

I've owned and sold several like a fool, including a Maurader. As a young hunter I listened to all the arm chair experts. Well, I own another 336 in .35 and this baby ain't going anywhere.

Other than scope and swivels, the rifle is ready to go right from the box. Pleeze don't ruin the thing with a recoil pad. If you can't handle the recoil of a .30-30 or .35, you have no business in the woods.

Last edited by federali; 09/06/10.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I get a kick out of brousing the used gun racks and finding
Marlin 336s with huge variable power scopes on them. 4x12,
6x18, etc. Give me a K4 or Leupold 2-7 any day.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had a .308 Marlin Express for a couple of years and love it. No problems with it at all. I put a 3x9x40 on it and it has proven to be very accurate out to 300 yards. I would also like to get a 336 in 44 mag.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jericho
I get a kick out of brousing the used gun racks and finding
6x18, etc. Give me a K4 or Leupold 2-7 any day.

I have had a guy hunt with me at my place for the last couple years. His gun? A Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with a Bushnell Banner 4x12 power AO with lenses so filthy you could probably watch a solar eclipse through the thing without fear of damaging your eyes.

Opening morning of firearms whitetail season I put him in a new spot I had scouted out but never hunted. He spotted a nice 6 pointer slipping thorough the thick stuff about 20 yds. away. He tried to get his crosshairs on it but had left the scope turned up to 14x and couldn't see a thing. Last year I put a new scope on it for him, a handy little 2x7 power.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terrible rotten rifles they are those marlins. For the cost of shipping I will dispose of those aberations they call rifles.

[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I get a kick out of brousing the used gun racks and finding
6x18, etc."

Ditto. But most of what I see are scopes in those abominable "see through" mounts that require the shooter to hold his head up like an alert turkey. Big scopes and such high mounts tend to negate a lot of the value of those excellant and handy snap-shooting rifles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Probably the best bang for the buck around is a Marlin 336 of one sort or another and in 30-30 caliber..I like the Winchester 94 better but that is because I was raised on a big West Texas ranch and I was tought the 94 was the only gun in existence, its a cowboy thing you see! smile but on the QT, the Marlin is probably a better gun and God save me if my dear departed family members hear this..I inhereted a sack of Winchester lever guns and I really lik'em also...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.