Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ste_vel
I much prefer rare prime rib. Cutting a piece off of an uncooked prime rib roast is ribeye! Broiling it dries out the juice. Putting seasoning on it changes the flavor from the real meat.

To each his own on food.

I like a very rare, tender prime rib similar to shown below. Some warm fresh popovers are nice as well. No seasoning at all! Maybe a touch of salt after its 1/2 eaten. mmmmmmmmm

[Linked Image]

Nice glass of Barossa Vallley Shiraz & you're all set !!

[Linked Image]

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This one would do nicely !

[Linked Image]

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Or any of these:

This one is probably Australia's finest.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by New_2_99s; 07/09/10.

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ribeyes are good, a Porterhouse ain't too bad either.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No such thing as a bad steak, just some better than others.......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever had a steak at a Waffle House?? LOL grin!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep.....

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Only at 3 A.M with the fuzzy head....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy birthday dvdegeorge!

Ribeyes. Of course. If you don't like something wrong with you.

On the grill, mmmmmmmm..................

Here's one recipe I flat out guarantee is good. VERY different and VERY unique. Before you scoff at this and think, well, it sounds too simple, I tried something similar, great way to ruin a ribeye, can't be good cooked that way, WHATEVER. TRY IT and then tell me it doesn't work. If you've never cooked a steak with this exact formula and I know you haven't, hold off on the negative comments.

First thing needed is a cast iron skillet. Season the ribeye with waaaaay too much salt of your choice, kosher, sea salt, fresh ground or whatever you have handy. Then put waaaay too much garlic powder on it. Nothing else and especially no pepper. Heat up the skillet to medium high and then add a little bit of - wait fot it.............................. vegetable oil. YES, veggy oil. You need only enough to cover the bottom of the pan. The right ammount of heat is where the pan is almost smoking. Hot, but not too hot.

Then fry it/sear it till it gets a good black crust and turn it over and cook till done. The thicker the steak the better for getting a crust to form and have it come out med rare.

I know it may sound kinda like something you've had before BUT IT'S NOT.

This is a recipe I worked on for years trying to figure out. It's how a very old steak house in Redding, Ca. cooks their steaks. Jack's Bar & Grill is the place. Their specialty is a 16 oz. filet cooked this way and it's to to die for.

I know it sounds too simple and I know it doesn't seem like the right way to cook a steak and I know you will disagree with the thought of doing it this way BUT....................

fish head

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NICE !!

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I do....
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simple is good!! I've gotten back to where I prefer uncomplicated dishes without all kinds of flavors happening, or competing. If I have a prime main ingredient I want to taste it in all its glory.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Only at 3 A.M with the fuzzy head....

Nope on a Saturday morning on a trip to take my wife shopping. It wasn't a great steak but I ate it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by fish head
Happy birthday dvdegeorge!

Ribeyes. Of course. If you don't like something wrong with you.

On the grill, mmmmmmmm..................

Here's one recipe I flat out guarantee is good. VERY different and VERY unique. Before you scoff at this and think, well, it sounds too simple, I tried something similar, great way to ruin a ribeye, can't be good cooked that way, WHATEVER. TRY IT and then tell me it doesn't work. If you've never cooked a steak with this exact formula and I know you haven't, hold off on the negative comments.

First thing needed is a cast iron skillet. Season the ribeye with waaaaay too much salt of your choice, kosher, sea salt, fresh ground or whatever you have handy. Then put waaaay too much garlic powder on it. Nothing else and especially no pepper. Heat up the skillet to medium high and then add a little bit of - wait fot it.............................. vegetable oil. YES, veggy oil. You need only enough to cover the bottom of the pan. The right ammount of heat is where the pan is almost smoking. Hot, but not too hot.

Then fry it/sear it till it gets a good black crust and turn it over and cook till done. The thicker the steak the better for getting a crust to form and have it come out med rare.

I know it may sound kinda like something you've had before BUT IT'S NOT.

This is a recipe I worked on for years trying to figure out. It's how a very old steak house in Redding, Ca. cooks their steaks. Jack's Bar & Grill is the place. Their specialty is a 16 oz. filet cooked this way and it's to to die for.

I know it sounds too simple and I know it doesn't seem like the right way to cook a steak and I know you will disagree with the thought of doing it this way BUT....................

fish head

I do a similar steak but with olive oil on the steak only. I have a cast iron skillet with ridges in it to give the steak grill marks

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, this evening it was raining and hailing in MN so I thought I might try that Porterhouse steak I had ala cast iron skillet, as mentioned here. I put on the sea salt and garlic on the steak and got the skillet pretty hot. As called for I used a small amount of vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. About 5 minutes on each side made it medium rare and I put it on a plate.

As described to me all the juices stayed in the steak and it was one of the best staeaks I have ever had. So I went in wanting to try this but not a believer too, "this is this awesome!"
If you have never tried this and you like the honest taste of meat this is a got-a-do!!!! Buckfever1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm glad to see that somebody tried it and liked it. smile

It really makes an awesome steak cooked the way I described.

fish head

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buckfever1
Well, this evening it was raining and hailing in MN so I thought I might try that Porterhouse steak I had ala cast iron skillet, as mentioned here. I put on the sea salt and garlic on the steak and got the skillet pretty hot. As called for I used a small amount of vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. About 5 minutes on each side made it medium rare and I put it on a plate.

As described to me all the juices stayed in the steak and it was one of the best staeaks I have ever had. So I went in wanting to try this but not a believer too, "this is this awesome!"
If you have never tried this and you like the honest taste of meat this is a got-a-do!!!! Buckfever1

Curious what temp you were using to cook it to medium for 10 minutes total cook time. I get an 1" thick ribeye to Med Rare in about 1.5 Minutes per side using the skillet method at 450 degrees.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Temp wise I haven't a clue as to what it is. I cook my steaks at about the same temp you would use for pancakes. Fairly hot, med high or so. Part of the process is to have it form a black crust on the steak. That's what gives it the right flavor and seals the juices in. Like buckfever1 said - about 5 min. per side for a 1" steak. Too fast or too slow and it doesn't achieve the same results or flavor.

Try it, see what you think.

fish head

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mr. Fish head I want to thank you for sharing this steak cooking recipe. I try to have something new for the family and especially for my turn to cook at fish camp on Rainey Lake Ontario. This is going to roll the boys over! Thanks again!

Buckfever1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do like Ribeye steaks. I found a place that sells whole ribeyes packaged. I sometimes trim the tenderloin off and butterfly cut and then cut the smaller ribeyes (I guess that makes them a New York Strip). Lately I cut full ribeyes, 1" to 1 1/2" thick, heavy kosher salt and ground pepper on a chunk charcoal real hot. Great stuff. Love grilling!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Having a "ribeye" on the bone roast tonight !

Seasoned with a little olive oil, salt & some "pocketed" fresh garlic cloves.

Sear in smoking hot cast iron pan & then into the oven to slow roast.

Sides will be a potato bake (gratin?) with yellow taters & sweet potato, grated cheese & lots of full strength cream & BBQ roasted veg (yellow, orange & red peppers, whole mushrooms, 1/4ed zuccinis, whole asparagus spears & 1/2'd sweet white onions). Veg will be cooked in marinated olive oil, in a basket, on the kettle grill.

Mmmmmm, later guys.

Paul.

Paul.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,420
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.