Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm looking for a pair of weather proof binoculars to replace/supplement my little Nikon porro's.

The more I use these Nikon's the more I like them.

The problem is that they are not water/fog proof and I'm afraid that I am going to damage them in the cold/wet.
I have a pair of Nikon 8x42 Ventures LX and a pair of Minox 6.5x32 IF's but seem to always reach for the EII's , even when the weather dictates taking something else.

Any recommendations for something that has the same blend of "user friendliness" and optical excellence as the Nikon porro's.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Budget? Swaro EL's have changed the way I think about all this bino stuff. I'm crazy about mine. Best $ I ever spent.

If you mean porros, I used the older swaro porros also and was fond of them.

Last edited by petr; 07/25/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by billtrev
I'm looking for a pair of weather proof binoculars to replace/supplement my little Nikon porro's.

The more I use these Nikon's the more I like them.

The problem is that they are not water/fog proof and I'm afraid that I am going to damage them in the cold/wet.
I have a pair of Nikon 8x42 Ventures LX and a pair of Minox 6.5x32 IF's but seem to always reach for the EII's , even when the weather dictates taking something else.

Any recommendations for something that has the same blend of "user friendliness" and optical excellence as the Nikon porro's.

Bill:

You may have a real problem on your hands, I have not owned the EII, but many other premium optics, that Nikon
is very good, and you summed it up in your last sentence. You may not find anything better. I am a Nikon fan
and have owned all of the SE's the LXL and the EDG. Right now the EDG is on sale as a new model (same optics) is coming out this fall. I have found the EDG 8x32 for $999. with D3000 DSLR.

For others here looking for the best value right now in premium optics it is the Nikon EDG. Now I have nothing
in the battle, as the last purchase I made was another brand.

Look and search for some deals, and some include a free: Nikon DSLR 3000 with the purchase. Check it out.

You do realize the premium Nikon porros offer a view that is not available in any roof. They are that good,
so that means, keep the 8x30 EII.

Jerry

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi billtrev,

I strongly recommend you look, if you can find one allready in a optic shop, at a Swarovski Habicht 8x30 WA. This one is, perhaps one of the best, if not THE BEST 8x50 Porro Binocular. And fully sealed and water and fog proof. I have had one ( I regret to have sold to a friend who needed a binocular for hunting) and have other of the same type, a Swarovski Habicht 10x40. The new ones, both the 8x30 and 10x40 Habichts are really downrated pieces of hunting optics! And the 8x30 price is less than U$ 1000.

Good luck!

PH

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
New in opened box $199 Minox BD 10x44 BP (small, lightweight porros) through Doug. Or Swarovskis are nice wink

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I will try to find a pair of the Swaro's to check out.
From looking at the specs I'm interested in checking out the Zeiss 8x32 and 7x42 FL's.
Since I try not to increase our trade deficit with China it looks like I may end up having to bite the bullet and spring for either high end Nikon's or something from the Big Three.

Looks like I'll be stopping by Doug's store soon.(one of the few advantages of living in the New York metro area)

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Use your Nikons as you want, when you want. I doubt you'll ever have a problem (I never have), and if you do then send them back for warranty service.

Life is easy, don't make it hard on yourself...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had the Ziess 8x32FL... disappointing binocular to me. Less fine resolution than my 8x32 Ultravids for sure. Also, absolutely HATED the fast focus on the 8x32 Zeiss. Not a bin for hunters IMO. For birders maybe, but not hunters.

Have had the 7x30 and 8x30 Swarovski SLC as well and the 8x32 Leica BN and currently the 8x32 BR... were I in your position looking to upgrade I'd jump all over Doug's 8x30 SLC (Neu's) at $899... no brainer IMO. Great bin...

Originally Posted by billtrev
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I will try to find a pair of the Swaro's to check out.
From looking at the specs I'm interested in checking out the Zeiss 8x32 and 7x42 FL's.
Since I try not to increase our trade deficit with China it looks like I may end up having to bite the bullet and spring for either high end Nikon's or something from the Big Three.

Looks like I'll be stopping by Doug's store soon.(one of the few advantages of living in the New York metro area)

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,785
Posts18,495,990
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.