Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
interesting, I have for the last 10 years or so gone with the less expensive RedHead rubber boots, a pair of non insulated and a pair of insulated for hunting hear in GA. My reply to the wind comment is that leaving scent on the trail can put it in a different position relative to the wind direction depending on how you get to your stand. The real question in my mind is do the darn things really make a difference regards scent on the ground!!!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grizzly Bear links to the same boot I use (not exclusively), but regularly. I'm on my second pair and have been using the Maine Hunting boot since I was in my early 20's. The pair I use today has some thermal lining in the rubber portion.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
and there is the question! the soles on those white soled boots don't have the same pungent rubber smell as the typical rubber boots you see...at least the ones my friend uses do not, maybe his are old...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jimmy, my "newest" pair are about 15 years old, whatever smell they have may be noticable to the deer, but I can't smell them. However, I haven't ever put them up to my nose either!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use LaCrosse Alpha's in pretty much all conditions. Insulated and uninsulated varieties.

CLB

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
and there is the question! the soles on those white soled boots don't have the same pungent rubber smell as the typical rubber boots you see...at least the ones my friend uses do not, maybe his are old...

Reminds me of seeing coon asses at the store coming up to hunt in Mississippi.

$300 worth of new camo and white shrimp boots. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LaCrosse
Pull ups or Lace ups
AMRA

Molan Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup....creek crossings and swamps are common

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear rubber boots only when I want something that is absolutely waterproof. Even then, inside moisture will eventually become an issue. I never worry about scent with any of my footware.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear LaCrosse Alpha Burly boots when it is cold and the plain old LaCrosse Grange when it is hot. The 800-1000gram Burly model is pretty warm for still hunting. I always spray my boots well with scent killer when I am around my hunting areas, even if I'm not hunting. I can't recall having a deer spook when crossing my trail. I believe in the scent killer stuff.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LaCrosse alphas for me as well. Although I believe one of my uninsulated pair is a set of Rocky's. They are old though, they are Advantage camo...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
best hunting boots money can buy [Linked Image]

STX,

Built in snake protection ??

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used them religiously for the last fifteen years or so. I mostly bowhunt so scent control for me is paramount. The first time I had a doe group feed accross my entrance trail without smelling me made me a believer.

I wear plain old Lacrosse Grange till it snows, then 400 gram thinsulate Burlys. When I hunted a little further north I wore the Lacrosse pac boots with the replaceable liners.

I still haven't worn out my last pair of Granges in @ ten years. I just replace the foot bed liner with a new Dr. Schols liner each fall. Good product.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually wear LaCrosse rubber boots while walking to the stand and have seen many deer cross my trail and not act as they smelled me and then have my dogs trail me right up to the stand when the wife lets them out too early. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

STX,

Paul.

Here I am thinking, that picture shows way to much already and there you go and ask him about his snake protection...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
use to have pair of snake proof boots but stop using them to hot and uncomfortable. i just pay attention to were i'm stepping when i'm out in the brush

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
STX....kinda reminds me of a Garth diddy: "Blame it all on my roots....I showed up in boots...and ruined your black tie affair..." you can fill in the rest. Freaking priceless and I love it!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

STX,

Paul.

Here I am thinking, that picture shows way to much already and there you go and ask him about his snake protection...

blush Whoops, sorry CMG !

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
there is no self respecting snake that could strike at those boots, be laughing too hard to hit one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
MUCK for last 3-4 years. love em, warm and comfy

and rattler proof

Woody Armor�
Premium Hunting Boot
New Mossy Oak Break-Up � SBR-MOBU

Designed to provide additional protection from attacks by snakes*** and stingrays.

* Full rubber upper provides improved resistance to snakebites
* Wrap-up toe bumper provides added protection toe protection
* Kick rim for easy removal
* MS-1 Outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability
* Rubber design is scent-free for improved stalking abilities
* CR flex-foam bootie with four-way stretch nylon, 100% waterproof, lightweight, flexible and buoyant
* Breathable Airmesh lining
* Comfort range of -20� F to 70� F

***PASSING the TEST
This product was tested by personnel from Clyde Peeling's Reptiland using widely accepted test methodology. The product was filled with inflatable latex ballons that fit directly into the interior of the boots surfaces. A 5 foot Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake was allowed to strike variuos portions of the boot. There were seven solid strikes to the toe and six solid strikes to the side. In no event did the snake bite penetrate and break the balloon when the boot was struck up to the top of the rubber overlay. A second 5 foot Eastern Diamondback was restrained by the handler and the fangs worked by hand pressure against the boot's surface at an angle to achieve greatest penetration. There was no noticable penetration to any of the camouflage portions of the boot.
This test is useful for general guideline purposes. Honeywell cannot assume liablility for injury resulting from the use of this product as protection from snakes. The wearer must assume responsibility for any injury incurred while using this product.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 34 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,036
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.