Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oakster
So is this just an argument with Hawkeye, or are their people here who feel that the officer was right to discharge his firearm in a public park full of people? Why is it OK to use deadly force to protect your dog, but your a whining crying pansie if your dog gets shot by a police officer?

Its hard to claim it was an attack if there was no blood or injuries even mentioned in the article.

Getting back to the orginal topic... can anyone say that this wasnt a real poor choice on how to handle the situation?

I understand that we dont know the entire story... but lets use the facts that we have from the articles posted. If more evidence comes around later... then we can look at that.

Shooting a dog is not using deadly force. Would it have better had he used an asp to beat away the other dog? Or as some have referred it, "electrocuted" with a taser? Maybe used some defensive tactics and choked it out? Yes that's sarcasm.

I'm not willing to say it was a poor way to handle it, or that it wasn't an attack even without blood without more facts, which are seriously lacking at this point. But this is an entertaining thread if nothing else.

I'll say this, the whole dog park thing is alien to me. Are these rules you speak of, TRH, usually posted at the entrances or is it an understood code? If it's not posted that leashed dogs should stay out of the enclosure, and that roughhousing is to be tolerated than that puts a little different spin. But roughhousing can turn ugly pretty quick. What's the recourse then? Is there a certain number of bite holes or blood spatters required before it's classified as an attack?

MAGA

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've learned to never take a person's word that thier dog is not aggressive...or that their kid is a good kid. You will always get the same answer.

Also, the paper wants to generate sales and the story of how a police officer put down an aggressive dog just doesn't have the same controversy.

If a mistake was made it was the fact that the officer took his dog to the park where it would be exposed to dogs with unknown temperments.

I wasn't there so don't know what exactly happened but I have seen people who thought it was ok for their dog to "rough play" so long as it wasn't their dog yelping or injured.

Some are uptight that the officer fired his sidearm at the dog park but are unable to assume that it was done with a concern for safety as no one else was hit. If you fire a weapon in a residential area there are almost always people and kids somewhere "nearby." The same argument could be made to prevent ccw in these areas if that reasoning is followed.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
The so-called cop apologists can't hold a candle to dog apologists.

Well said.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So is this just an argument with Hawkeye, or are their people here who feel that the officer was right to discharge his firearm in a public park full of people? Why is it OK to use deadly force to protect your dog, but your a whining crying pansie if your dog gets shot by a police officer?

Its hard to claim it was an attack if there was no blood or injuries even mentioned in the article.

Getting back to the orginal topic... can anyone say that this wasnt a real poor choice on how to handle the situation?

I understand that we dont know the entire story... but lets use the facts that we have from the articles posted. If more evidence comes around later... then we can look at that.

I don't know if he was right or wrong because I wasn't there.

But I can tell you this: The cop was carrying legally and found it necessary to discharge his weapon. When folks that are supposed proponents of the 2nd Amendment start getting in the habit of casting stones based on a fellas' job title, we are in trouble folks.

Same thing could have happened to a private citizen with a CCW.

I learned long ago not to "Monday morning quarterback" a fight. Especially based on a paper clip out of Baltimore for cripes sake.

Travis

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Oakster alot of people give alot of money for dogs, myself included. I would not let anyones dog attack mine if mine was on a leash. Now everyone knows that I think a dog is nothing more than dog. The value on a dogs life is not anywhere near what a human life is and I still will not let some turds dog harm mine. I give between $700 and $1000 for a pup and then 100's of hours of training. Somone that does not have control of there dog and there dog tries to hurt/injure mine is in real trouble. Likewise if my dog was attacking theres and they killed it I would not be happy about it but it will be my fault for letting it happen.

You say its hard to claim attack without injury. I would not risk one my dogs being hurt after I have spent so much time and money on them. What if the dog just put my dogs eye out?

I think as long as the officer had a good shot at the dog with no human in the way he handled it properly. He asked the other dogs owner to do something and he did not.

Why does everyone think the officer was on duty? If he was there with his dog I bet he was off duty.

Dink

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
For playing rough in a dog park?? I call serious BS.

Go back and read my post again. Your reading comprehension must be a little rusty due to summer break.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
A citizen would likely go to jail and lose his 2nd amendment rights. Unless, possibly, they were an attorney and had the legal weight of a law firm behind them. Discharging a firearm in such a situation and setting appears to me as irresponsible and would not be justified per the law governing such in my state, which only allows a shoot to protect human life from deadly force.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Was the police officer on duty or off duty when this happened? The article didn't say, as I recall. Job titles can really bite your butt. Never hear about an accountant going berzerk and killing people with his calculator. More like boring them to death.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
A citizen would likely go to jail and lose his 2nd amendment rights. Unless, possibly, they were an attorney and had the legal weight of a law firm behind them. Discharging a firearm in such a situation and setting appears to me as irresponsible and would not be justified per the law governing such in my state, which only allows a shoot to protect human life from deadly force.

one dog attacking my dog would be justifiable discharge of a firearm in my town......actually it would be encouraged and the cops are gonna tell the guy with the dead dog there is a leash law that needs to be followed inside city limits....

last time i had to deal with this type of chit, a guy was taking his an his neighbors dogs for a walk around town off leash.....his buddies dog jumped my buddies fence and proceeded to kill my buddies dog while the guy watched and laughed....

my buddy called me, i called the police chief, told him we were going hunting, he said get after it he was gonna call an officer to help us and we took off loaded guns in hand......

the officer caught up to it before us and put the dog down but had we caught it we coulda shot it inside city limits without hassle even though there is an ordinance against discharging a firearm within city limits.....there are exception when it comes to critters that are considered dangerous, and that line was crossed....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

From what I've read so far I think the cop done wrong. That opinion could change with new information.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I disagree with your entire statement.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by derby_dude

From what I've read so far I think the cop done wrong. That opinion could change with new information.

Huge clue that you would judge a person based on that POS article. If the word "cop" weren't involved I bet you'd think differently.

Private citizens wanting to hang a badge, for having a badge, is no different than a badge thinking a private citizen shouldn't have the right to do what needs to be done in a given situation.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I tend to agree with you Ricky. Discharging a firearm in my city will at the very least result in a misdemeanor. And if one shot a dog as described in the story you would be in deep do do.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Seen that happen have ya'?

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

It's the law in my city.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

It's the law in my city.

Yeah. I got that part. But you've seen the "deep doo-doo" take place by a non-LEO shooter involving a dog?

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
And giving two schits about a guy with a CCW popping somebody's pooch, after not being there when it went down, is laughable.

Agreed, but if everybody is setting up to lynch the cop they need to be prepared to do the same when Joe Citizen does the same.

George

Joe citizen did the same on a public sidewalk in my ao. You'll be shocked to hear that he didn't spend one second in cuffs let alone jail and got to keep his handgun.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Travis

It's the law in my city.

Yeah. I got that part. But you've seen the "deep doo-doo" take place by a non-LEO shooter involving a dog?

Travis

Nope, but if you can't shoot to defend yourself or shoot a deer I would think the law isn't going to think to highly of shooting dogs. One can defend one's self if they have a CCW from another human but shooting a dog especially as described in the story in my city I don't think so. I know I'm not puting it to the test.

YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Shooting a dog is not using deadly force. Would it have better had he used an asp to beat away the other dog? Or as some have referred it, "electrocuted" with a taser? Maybe used some defensive tactics and choked it out? Yes that's sarcasm.

I'm not willing to say it was a poor way to handle it, or that it wasn't an attack even without blood without more facts, which are seriously lacking at this point. But this is an entertaining thread if nothing else.

I'll say this, the whole dog park thing is alien to me. Are these rules you speak of, TRH, usually posted at the entrances or is it an understood code? If it's not posted that leashed dogs should stay out of the enclosure, and that roughhousing is to be tolerated than that puts a little different spin. But roughhousing can turn ugly pretty quick. What's the recourse then? Is there a certain number of bite holes or blood spatters required before it's classified as an attack?

worth a repost

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Who in your town told you that you cannot shoot to defend yourself?

Why would you have a need to shoot a deer in town?

Who told you a CCW is solely for the purpose of defending yourself from another human being?

Travis

Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.