-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Who do you recomend for a side mount (or other) scope mount for an early, pre-Angle Eject Winchester 94?
No drilling please.
I see Kwik-Site and Weaver have set-ups, probably Williams.
Just got a 1952 94 in 30-30.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend that you get a good receiver or tang sight and shoot it that way. Either will do fine out to .30-30 yardage limits. If your eyes just won't work with these, there are a couple of red-dot sights that might work for you. I have never liked the way that the old 94s feel with a side-mounted scope. YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for your honesty
got a couple peeps on watch

NRA 4-Life
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You have 2 options with your pre-AE. Williams makes a good side mount that requires no drilling. It uses existing holes and works best with a small scope like a Weaver K2.5 or a Leupold 2.5x Compact. Personally the biggest scope I would use on it would be a short fixed 4x. You want something with a wide FOV and good eye relief that can be placed well forward in the rings. A variable may wind up too close to your eye.

The iron sights are still visible with the scope so mounted. Only you can decide if you feel OK with a side mount scope. I have used them and they are not as fast or instinctive as a center mounted scope but they allow you to shoot accurately to the limits of .30/30 range and give you the low light advantage of a scope.

The other option is a forward mounted Scout Scope setup. Mounts are available the use the dovetail for the rear sight as a mounting method, obviating the need for drilling. The Scout setup isn't everybody's cup of tea either, but it does place the scope low over the bore.

I have my Dad's old M94 and take it hunting now and then. It has a Lyman receiver sight and I consider it good to 150 yards in good light with my aging eyes. I manage about 2-3 MOA with it off the bench. I have thought many times about adding a side mount scope, but I have lots of other rifles with scopes and decided to leave it alone in honor of my father.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/31/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
it's great to hear from those with experience with the 94 as I'm a newbie to them. I am watching a couple of peeps, so we'll see.

NRA 4-Life
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned a side mount briefly. Never liked the feel and balance. The only way I've considered mounting a scope on a pre-AE is a "scout" scope. I'm not big on those but this is where it would work. I have a mount that requires the barrel band be drilled and tapped and the rear sight removed then the scope mount attaches. I haven't done it yet, but if I were to I would order a new barrel band to d&t so I could put it all back to it's pristine pre-64 condition. All in all since President Clinton explained to me in 1996 that I was rich, I've decided to just buy another rifle and leave my old '94 alone. I'm not saying you should do or not do anything, just saying there is that option if you really wanted to use a scope on one of those fine old 94's you can do it and still be able to return it to original condition. GFQ

The older I get the better I was.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all
I did buy a Holden side mount, but also a Williams reciever sight. the Williams 5D is on it now with the side mount on the shelve.
Didn't get to shoot it yet, but I think the original rear sight was one of the nicest I have looked thru.
Sav

NRA 4-Life
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have this on mine. Shot the largest deer in my life and a bobcat 5 seconds later with the side-mount set-up.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html#

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 27 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,732
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.