-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
while the US begs for another, at Ground Zero, the Germans shut down a terrorist base fronting as a house of worship. From a longer article in the Weekly Standard:

On Monday, German authorities announced that they closed down the Taiba mosque in Hamburg. The mosque achieved infamy as home to several of the 9/11 plotters under its previous name -- Al Quds.

The name change was, undoubtedly, part of an attempt to rebrand the mosque after some of its members hijacked and crashed American airliners. It was a superficial change, though. The mosque continued to serve as a meeting ground for Islamist extremists and terrorists. Thus, the Germans, who along with other Western intelligence agencies had been monitoring the mosque for years, decided it needed to be shuttered.

None of this is surprising, especially when you consider who was in charge of the mosque: Imam Mamoun Darkazanli.

Darkazanli was one of the first suspected al Qaeda figures to have his accounts frozen by the U.S. Treasury Department and the United Nations following the September 11 attacks. He had established a lengthy dossier by then. Despite being a known extremist with a plethora of terrorist ties, however, Darkazanli has avoided a lengthy prison sentence.

How? German laws have consistently gotten in the way of bringing Darkazanli to justice.

According to Congress�s "Joint Inquiry Into the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001," a report prepared by the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, Darkazanli first popped up on the CIA�s radar in 1993. The U.S. Intelligence Community investigated the imam after �a person arrested in Africa carrying false passports and counterfeit money was found with Darkazanli�s telephone number.� The Joint Inquiry found: �A CIA report notes that, despite careful scrutiny of Darkazanli and his business dealings, authorities were not able to make a case against him.�

Ironically, this same year (1993), Darkazanli purchased a ship for Osama bin Laden. Published reports say that Darkazanli bought a ship named �Jennifer� for al Qaeda�s CEO in 1993.

Darkazanli would garner attention within the U.S. Intelligence Community in the late 1990s. The FBI �became interested in Darkazanli in 1998,� the Joint Inquiry found, �after the arrests of Wadi El-Hage and Abu Hajer, operatives in Bin Ladin�s network.�

El Hage served as bin Laden�s personal secretary, managing the terror master�s vast rolodex. �According to FBI documents, Darkazanli�s fax and telephone numbers were listed in El-Hage�s address book,� the Joint Inquiry reported. El-Hage was convicted by a U.S. court for his involvement in al Qaeda�s 1998 embassy bombings.

Abu Hajer al Iraqi (whose real name is Mamdouh Mahmud Salim) is one the founding members of al Qaeda and he, too, resides in a U.S. prison. (During his time in custody, Abu Hajer stabbed a prison guard in the eye, blinding him.) Abu Hajer was arrested in Germany in 1998 and extradited to the U.S.

When the FBI investigated Abu Hajer�s finances, the Joint Inquiry notes, the Bureau�discovered that Darkazanli had power of attorney over a bank account belonging to Hajer, a high-ranking al-Qa�ida member who has severed on its Shura Council.�

Now, this should be obvious but it is worth an explicit note anyway: Senior al Qaeda members don�t hand over power of attorney to just anybody. Darkazanli must have been highly regarded within the terrorist organization for a senior terrorist like Abu Hajer to trust him.

Darkazanli worked with his fellow Syrian, Mohammed Zammar, in Germany for years. And the two forged close ties to some of the 9/11 hijackers. Just months after the FBI began investigating Darkazanli�s ties to Abu Hajer, Darkazanli�s ties to the future hijackers raised another red flag.

�In March 1999,� the Joint Inquiry�s report reads, �CIA received intelligence about a person named �Marwan� who had been in contact with Zammar and Darkazanli. Marwan was described as a student who had spent time in Germany�� Only after the September 11 attacks did the CIA figure out that �Marwan� was Marwan al-Shehhi � one of the 9/11 hijackers.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for them!
It seems to me that Germany has become a little more conservative since Merkel was elected and I hope that trend continues.
I was surprised at just how many Muzzies live there-I was hoofing around Munich a few years back and wound up in "Little Tehran", some Iranian district, I suppose.
Kind of a shock for this Idaho boy.
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a start...

"The mosques are our barracks, the minarets our bayonets, the domes our helmets, and the believers our soldiers"

-- 1912 poem by a nationalist poet of Turkey quoted by Turkish PM, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We need to get a "set" and do likewise.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the flip side though, by shutting down this mosque now the terrorists are going to meet somewhere unknown. You would think knowing exactly where they meet could be a key piece of information. Bug the schit out of the place and listen. Just a thought.

Deal with it.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The more inconvenient the better!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 19 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.