-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For those of you who may not know, these are 3 hand to hand combative schools. MCMAP is the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, Army Combatives is what it sounds like, and Krav Maga is the Israeli version.

I've studied 2 of the 3 (Army Combatives (level 3) and Krav Maga) but have 0 experience in MCMAP. The things I know to be true about each that I really appreciate are as follows:

1.)They all draw on the best of every martial art out there. Little bit of everything.
2.)No ego involved. That means, if it is effective and works, it's included and counts.
3.)Situational awareness is stressed. The use of any object around can be made into a weapon.

I have learned that Krav Maga really focus' on fighting from a disadvantage. What I mean by that is it's designed to be at it's best when you are out numbered, unarmed against armed assailants, ambushed, etc. Army Combatives tends to focus on one on one combat a bit more.

For any of you that have any experience in the modern MCMAP, what are your thoughts on it, and if you have experience in multiple combative arts (any of these 3) could you please compare and contrast them for me?

As it stands right now, it is my firm beliefe that an expert in Krav Maga would mop the floor with an expert in Army Combatives. I'm curious about how MCMAP and Army Combatives compare.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wish something like krav maga was taught around here.....would love to see my wife and daughters go through it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm lucky that it's taght in Huntsville. 2 schools actually. Guys that have gone to Israel to actually train there.

It's really quality. Most arts are deffensive in nature, Krav Maga is very offensive based. Least movement, maximum damage. EASY to learn because it's all natural moves, works a lot on natural instincts.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MCMAP

aka

Semper Fu!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I'm lucky that it's taght in Huntsville. 2 schools actually. Guys that have gone to Israel to actually train there.

It's really quality. Most arts are deffensive in nature, Krav Maga is very offensive based. Least movement, maximum damage. EASY to learn because it's all natural moves, works a lot on natural instincts.

im familiar with it enough to figure it would prolly be some good stuff for some pretty girls to know how to implement, especially given they weight bout 120 is all.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A female friend of mine took an introductory lesson offered here in Boise and had the same thoughts.

Obviously more training is better but she figured even the few simple techniques they showed would be good for a woman to repel a mugger or at least disable one enough to be able to get away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never heard of any of them. When I was in, the Army trained you in about 12 techniques. They figured by than you had either killed the SOB or the SOB had killed you.

I try never to be involved in a fight because all I know how to do is kill people. I guess today's modern Army is different.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Trust me DD, all three of these are LETHAL.

I mean, I did say that every move is designed for MAXIMUM damage.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In a real life and death struggle all you need is one move and you live or die. Learning a whole system is a waste of time. But heck, if it makes you new generation Army types feel better by all means learn it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious to see how these techniques compare to Fairbairn's "Get Tough". That book covers the training given to British commandos and US troops during WWII. Mostly simple strikes and how to use available weapons, even a small stick, to incapacitate and kill an enemy.

The book is illustrated with drawings demonstrating the techniques. In one a soldier is showing the "Pony kick", which is jumping with both feet on the chest of the enemy to cave his ribs in. A tommy is shown in mid jump about to deliver the death blow to an German soldier. I always enjoyed how nonchalant both of them seemed about the whole thing.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude

In a real life and death struggle all you need is one move and you live or die. Learning a whole system is a waste of time. But heck, if it makes you new generation Army types feel better by all means learn it.

If you honestly believe one single move will apply and work in any and every combative situation, then you are slower than I thought.

There is no secret ONE move that will handle any and every attack. I'd like to have more than one in the chamber if needed. I sure hope this theory of yours doesn't apply to your carry weapon.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anythings possible in fairie land.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
There is no secret ONE move that will handle any and every attack.

There is, but I can't really go into specifics. I call it "The Evinrude". Wait, that only works on guys... frown . Forget it, I'll have to go back to the mountains of Tibet.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.