Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's actually really good that way. I guess I plan to replace the springs with a set of unsettled stock used 3/4 ton springs and I should do the clutch... but other than that I can't think of anything she needs mechanically.

The plow itself may need some work but the truck is tough as hell.

Something clever here.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well we've started tearing into the yellow truck now. We took the seat out so we could get a good look at the floor.

[Linked Image]

EEEEK!! shocked

Looks like the aftermarket floor pans which were actually purchased for my 77 will fill most of the voids in the floor.

[Linked Image]

The mission is to save the cab. In my mind that makes it still the same truck, original cab on it's original chassis.

My inner fenders are poor, radiator support, inner rockers, cab corners.. All very common for these trucks in the north where salt is used on the roads

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/ole%20yeller/100_4738.jpg[/img]

does that make you southern boys feel a little better about the condition of your trucks? smile

Well I just have to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be a work truck, I want it solid again but I can't let myself get carried away here... It's a plow truck, a hunting truck, firewood hauler etc. I'm not discouraged, we're going to tighten this thing up. I have a 13 year old boy fueling the project with enthusiasm, that helps tremendously!! grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We also dropped the old meyers straight blade off the front for some evaluation. I had some trouble with the blade hyper extending backwards & getting stuck mack so it couldn't trip forwards.

[Linked Image]

A little look at the pivot joints explains everything. I'll have to cut this apart & weld new bushings in here, strengthen the whole thing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm also rebuilding the mount point for the snowplow. I've been really tough on it out on the lake & out in the woods so it needs some attention. I'm going to look at bringing it up a little higher, it hangs down too low right now and causes some clearance issues for me.

We got one side of the bed loose from the frame last night. the bolts in the far back by the bumper are the worst. The won't break off, I cant fit a grinder up in from the bottom with a cut off wheel, I have no torch, and the bed floor is 2 ply heavy diamond plate steel over the original floor so all the bolt heads are hidden on the top side under heavy diamond plate. I spent an hour on one bolt last night. Actually some short work tonight and the box will be free, probably just 2 bolts.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

EEEEK!! shocked

Looks like the aftermarket floor pans which were actually purchased for my 77 will fill most of the voids in the floor.

I forgot to tell you that. My box for the floor pans said 63-79 or something like that. You got her figured out anyway it looks like. smile

Originally Posted by northern_dave
Well I just have to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be a work truck, I want it solid again but I can't let myself get carried away here... It's a plow truck, a hunting truck, firewood hauler etc.

My dad was reminding me "you're REPAIRING it, not RESTORING it." That was shortly after I was telling him what I wanted to fix and order for it.

Last edited by tzone; 08/20/10.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is great Dave. I'm excited that you started a thread of the resurrection of Ol'Yeller.

I also have many memories in the old truck. The trip to Yellowstone with the 4 of us scrunched in the cab. Going with logging up north, when I forgot my color crayons on the dash in the hot sun and they melted all over. whistle Plus many more. It is a great truck. I was glad to hear at the auction that you bought it.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You didn't loose a watch in there didjya?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Muffy
I forgot my color crayons on the dash in the hot sun and they melted all over. whistle

Oh so you're the one!! mad

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think it is my watch. Are there still signs of my crayons on the dash? eek

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yes! That damn crayon crap is all over the place! Ruined a perfectly good truck lol!!

I gotta run, bbq at neighbors place.

laterz!

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would definatly go back with the stacks!!

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well some of you know about my restoration of a 65 mustang that my daughter recently totaled. She is still with us and that truly is all I care about but she needed some wheels with her mustang.... on the shelf.

So, I paid some attention to the 77 F150 at home that she helped me do a bunch of mechanical work on last summer.

I decided to fix the floors in the old truck.

drivers side

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

passenger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There were other tools involved such as grinder with cutting wheel and an air hammer/chissle.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/ole%20yeller/100_4803.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/ole%20yeller/100_4804.jpg[/img]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Lookin good dave. That is ssssoooooo much nicer than mine. Next one will not be so rough.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It wasn't such a bad job. I'm looking forward to giving the 1970 F250 the same treatment really soon.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I mean that whole truck. Mine was shot from door to door, including the tranny cowl. It was a mess.

Surprised me how much stronger the floor was from just tacking 1 pan in.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Fred damn Flintstone didn't need any damn floor pans! Buncha sissies you Northerners are! Hell, Fred didn't even need shoes!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Fred damn Flintstone didn't need any damn floor pans! Buncha sissies you Northerners are! Hell, Fred didn't even need shoes!

Back in the late 80's to early 90's, I ran my 78 Ford with no floor pans to speak of for several years, and Fred came to mind many a time. The only thing that I had between me and the road was the jute backing and the carpet, and that stuff rotted away in pretty short order. I pickled the engine and parked the truck for nearly a decade; it was just to far gone to drive.

I don't have tzone or Dave's skills in welding, so for me it was new cab time. Of course not new, but a local guy came up with an Arizona donor truck for me for $1K, a complete truck with a hole in the block of its 460 and a tranny that was burned to a crisp. There was a lot of wrenching involved, but no welding.
The truck needs resto again badly- cab corners and box wheel arches starting to go. At least the floor pans are still OK, for now....

Keep up the pics guys, it's fun to watch these dentsides get new leases on life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by levrluvr

I don't have tzone or Dave's skills in welding, so for me it was new cab time.

Oh, I promise you, you have my welding skills. Those pics you saw were the first crack at it, and it took a long, long time for me to get that far. It was slow going.

Originally Posted by levrluvr
The truck needs resto again badly- cab corners and box wheel arches starting to go

I just orderd the box wheel arches yesterday, along with the OE rubber floor mat for the cab. Pretty reasonable too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yah! another NorthernDave project!

Cool!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well our little girl wrecks stuff faster than I can fix stuff but I'll catch back up on this project soon enough.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What the heck, is Brownie wrecked too? eek

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 17 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.