-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, there's got to be limit to leniency. We've all got families and friends on the roads who we want to see again. Allowing 10 over seems plenty generous to me. It's hard to see any reason for lenience when it comes to aggressive or careless behavior.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DINK
When this law went into effect in missouri the very first person I stopped for it was a drunk driver. It makes me wonder how many times a drunk driver has buzzed by while I was standing there a foot or two away.

I don't stop any speeder unless your at least 15 MPH over and then alot times I don't write a ticket. I work with guys that are 10 mph over the limit and your getting a ticket no matter why you were speeding. I am glad they like that part of police work because I do not. I would much rather deal with drunk drivers and they can write the speeding tickets. Lets face it though if they were not out there wrighting tickets everyone would be doing 25 mph over the speed limit.

Dink
I'm glad to see it there. I have two nephews who are troopers there and want them to be able to grow old safely.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a guy driving like an ass in front of me on the highway the other day, weaving in and out of traffic in a construction zone no less. The guy loses it and plows right into the construction signs on the shoulder. Totalled his truck. If a construction worker had been there the driver probably would have killed em, as he hit the signs at 70+ MPH. I think the pull into the other lane is a great idea for PO's safety and others on the roads.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've always moved over for merging traffic, or for policemen who've pulled over another vehicle, as noted, it's just common courtesy and decency, too.

I also just set my cruise control about 4 miles over the speed limit and just idle down the road. If I wanna get someplace quicker, I leave home earlier.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by batch
Originally Posted by DINK
When this law went into effect in missouri the very first person I stopped for it was a drunk driver. It makes me wonder how many times a drunk driver has buzzed by while I was standing there a foot or two away.

I don't stop any speeder unless your at least 15 MPH over and then alot times I don't write a ticket. I work with guys that are 10 mph over the limit and your getting a ticket no matter why you were speeding. I am glad they like that part of police work because I do not. I would much rather deal with drunk drivers and they can write the speeding tickets. Lets face it though if they were not out there wrighting tickets everyone would be doing 25 mph over the speed limit.

Dink
I'm glad to see it there. I have two nephews who are troopers there and want them to be able to grow old safely.

batch do you know what troop or county they work in?

Dink

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Having had big rigs "breeze" me more than a few times, it would bitchslap such fools where it hurts, hopefully BEFORE they murder someone.

Another opinion from the other side: Please allow the big truck to move into your lane when the above situation presents itself. I cannot count the times when I try to pull over when there is an emergency vehicle or a break down on the side of the road. A car will see my turn signal, hurry up and pull beside me so I will not get in front of them and hang there, match my speed no mater what I do. I made two round trips today from Port Townsend to Renton, WA. This exact situation happened today five times in 412 miles. I guess as a commercial driver I am supposed to drive off the road into an overpass so I will not inconvenience a car driver. After all truck drivers are filth and car drivers are GODS and Gods can not be inconvenienced in any way!

Sound pissed. Will not at you my friend but those five selfish drivers are no longer on my Christmas list. mad

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scott, You and I both know that there are some rig drivers who do that as a game,NOT as an unavoidable act. Like the scuz that drive by a bicyclist and reach out and shove them.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
Having had big rigs "breeze" me more than a few times, it would bitchslap such fools where it hurts, hopefully BEFORE they murder someone.

Another opinion from the other side: Please allow the big truck to move into your lane when the above situation presents itself. I cannot count the times when I try to pull over when there is an emergency vehicle or a break down on the side of the road. A car will see my turn signal, hurry up and pull beside me so I will not get in front of them and hang there, match my speed no mater what I do. I made two round trips today from Port Townsend to Renton, WA. This exact situation happened today five times in 412 miles. I guess as a commercial driver I am supposed to drive off the road into an overpass so I will not inconvenience a car driver. After all truck drivers are filth and car drivers are GODS and Gods can not be inconvenienced in any way!

Sound pissed. Will not at you my friend but those five selfish drivers are no longer on my Christmas list. mad

Spending some time in a tractor/trailer is a good lesson for anyone. I had no clue how ineffective brakes can be especially on an unloaded rig. Then there's the blind spots...

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In Ontario, the no contest fine for the same offence is $490 with three demerit points, and that is the minimum fine. We've had that one on the books for a few years already. And from one who has had to jump into a ditch to avoid being hit, I am glad there is something to charge these inconsiderate goofballs with.

Last edited by the_shootist; 08/18/10.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Yeah, but they don't need more than half a lane. smile

You ever worked on a highway? It ain't my favorite to have some dickhead come buzzing 3' from you because he's in a hurry.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scott, You and I both know that there are some rig drivers who do that as a game,NOT as an unavoidable act. Like the scuz that drive by a bicyclist and reach out and shove them.

Yes Sir, we do. I will go one step further and say there are way too many CDL drivers on the road who should not be permitted to ride a bicycle on a dirt track let alone drive a truck on a road. But, none of those a$$ holes hung me up today. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by Scott F

Spending some time in a tractor/trailer is a good lesson for anyone. I had no clue how ineffective brakes can be especially on an unloaded rig. Then there's the blind spots...

Ditto that driving in a SMALL car, or in a Jeep without top/doors, or a motorcycle.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down to at least 20 mph under the posted speed limit.

Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and the D.C. has this law.

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but that isn't exactly true.

NH has a "Move Over" law but that isn't it.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a BIL that is an idiot and regularly zooms right past police stops while in the right lane. He's gotten tickets for it but last I heard hasn't changed his ways. Idjit.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've been dusted a few times, clipped by a mirror once (thankfully it was on a back road with a low speed limit but it still hurt like a biotch) and still haven't written anybody for it. Chewed azzes, though....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by NH K9
I've been dusted a few times, clipped by a mirror once (thankfully it was on a back road with a low speed limit but it still hurt like a biotch) and still haven't written anybody for it. Chewed azzes, though....

George

Dash cam footage, with audio perhaps? grin

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
No dash cams or recorders. The Chief has wanted to put 'em in for a few years but the budget hasn't allowed it. You can pretty well imagine what was said.

If we ever do I promise that the 'Fire will get some laughs.

George

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hated working on the Interstate. Everyone was going at least 65 mph and many cannot see beyond their hood ornament and refuse to look. I was setting with a trailer that came off a car and some kid who was looking at the trailer hit my patrol car. It was a black and white with the top lights on and he still hit my car.

We have a pull over law but if you are out there alone taking care of business and no one to chase them down, we still have those who would not pull over. Dead is dead, pull over law or not. It is better than what it was but not by much. Thanks to all of you who do pull over, required to or not. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by NH K9
No dash cams or recorders. The Chief has wanted to put 'em in for a few years but the budget hasn't allowed it. You can pretty well imagine what was said.

If we ever do I promise that the 'Fire will get some laughs.

George

Oh, I can imagine... I just want to see the look on all faces involved.

As for the laughs... yeah...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Seafire

2 were for doing 57 mph in a 55 zone, and the other was doing 56 in a 55 zone..( back in the days of 55 mph speed limits)...

I guess I'd be pretty ticked for getting nabbed for doing a couple mph over the limit. I've got a BIL who is some form of high muckety-muck as a civilian with the Michigan State Police. He's told us that the MSP troopers are directed to not stop drivers for anything less than 9mph over the posted limit.

Now, I don't know if that holds true, and even if it does, I'm sure there'd be exceptions for aggressive or erratic driving while doing less than 9 over. The 'fires own Brinky72 is with the MSP I believe, and would probably know much more about this.

OK, I know, I got off topic here.

I know MN had an unofficial policy that a driver was given a leaway of 8 mph over on the interstate and open rural highways..rode in the FIL's cruiser many times and he had his radar warning signal set at 63mph, in 55 mph zones..

another thing I really admired about my FIL was that the entire area he covered was none interstate... so he use to drive down the highway at 45 mph.. regardless of speed limit, most folks didn't have the nerve to pass a state trooper.. he'd come into a town leading a string of cars half a mile long at times...

it was his way of keeping the speed down on the highway when he patroled...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,069
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.