Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

For horses and such what type of rope do you use and why.

Spot

Packing hitches stay put a lot better with hemp/manila rope.

Top-loads and mantied packs just seem to 'stay' better with the extra grip.

Lead rope (5/8th nylon or poly, quality rope) should be tied hard and fast into rope halters if you don't know everything about the stock, Lead ropes should be at least 11' long, and there are only a few knots that are truly quick releasing, here is one.

[Linked Image]

And chain the rest of the free end, and tuck the pig-tail (some Houdinis will test everything) .

Link: Link:

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northcountry

Rock Chuck Thanks for the come back. I have a million ?'s on llamas. 4 example how much can a
large average llama carry comfortably for several days. How about
food for them along the trail. If you wish we can take this private by responding by pm, your call. I have alway been fascinated by them as pack animals. Are lions a bigger problem
with llamas than horses or mules also maybe wolves? Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

A big male in good condition can carry 80 to 100 lb. Day after day traveling, it should be kept down a little. We just got back from a short trip. I had 60 lb on a smallish 3 yo gelding and he handled it just fine. They need to be 4 before you put on a full load. Be sure to include the saddle weight and balance the load. I carry a small hanging scale to even out the pannier weights.

They eat about anything, including sagebrush and pine needles. In the summer, you don't need to pack any feed. Just let them graze. They'll constantly be nipping off grass and brush as you go. One experienced packer told me that during elk season when there's snow, he carries a 50/50 mix of grain and hay pellets. He gives them about a quart a day, using a frisbee for a feed bowl. This supplements what they can scrounge. We have a lot of larkspur here. I don't know if it will hurt a llama, but it'll kill cattle and sheep. I watch for it and make sure I don't tether them near it. Their eating habits sure make it simple where weed-free hay is required.

They'll kill a coyote and I've been told that bears won't mess with them (but I have no 1st hand knowledge about that). They're no match for wolves, though. I haven't heard what a lion will do with one. He'll win easily if he attacks, but I don't know if he would mess with one. If one's around, you'll likely hear some hellacious sounds from the llamas. They have a whole vocabulary of warning sounds. They have one that's a cross between a horse whinny and a hyena. The first time I heard it (a neighbors dog was near my pasture fence), I had to go investigate to see what that noise was. I couldn't believe it was coming from a llama.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.