Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
oh yeah!

John, what do you think of my "theory" of using 300gr TSXs @2250 as opposed to bonded bullets of 400gr at slower speeds?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I think they would kill a Cape buffalo pretty dead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Originally Posted by Sainte_Terrer
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I believe Brittany Boddington used a Ruger No. 1 in 405 Win. on her Cape Buff. (However, I think she used 400-gr. Hornady's.)

As far as solids go, GS Custom has a 300-gr. FN solid and North Fork now offers a 400 grainer in both of their CPS and FPS profiles.

She killed a water buffalo with 300 gr. Hornady Spire-points. Hornady does not make a 400 gr. loading for the .405 Winchester.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/bully-for-the-405

Hodgdon max loads will apparently push a 400 gr. Woodleigh to 1945 FPS. I would think that would be sufficient.

Makes it seem a little absurd to use this cartridge on whitetails, but I am doing it this November...

She actually used her Ruger No. 1 on Cape Buff as well. In fact, she wrote an article about this hunt for Sports Afield last year. Her dad also references her Cape Buff in his book "Safari Rifles II". You are correct that Hornady does not offer a factory loading for the 405 Win. with a 400-gr. bullet but they (the Boddingtons) had Hornady make up some loads using the 400-gr. bullets for her. The goal here was to replicate the original 450-400 performance. I am aware, and its been noted in this thread as well, that the No. 1 is much more flexible when it comes to hand-loads than the Win. M95 so you would be limited, especially with 400-grainers. Still, I think with proper load work-up, you could safely get to 1950 - 2000 FPS using these heavier bullets.

Well you learn something every day!

BTW my rifle is brand new and it is .413" groove diameter. The problem is with the solids which will tumble in a larger diameter bore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I think they would kill a Cape buffalo pretty dead.

I take it you meant the 300 TSXs. As you can see by the target I have them shooting pretty tight and given what I've seen regarding the TSXs penetrating, I should be good to go. Hell, TR and the Johnson's did it with crappy cup and core bullets! Anyhow, I have an email in to North Fork to see what it would cost me for a run of 300gr solids. Still taking the Rigby though.

Hey Bob, I love that photo and quote from TR! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sainte_Terrer
[quote=pinotguy][quote=Sainte_Terrer]

BTW my rifle is brand new and it is .413" groove diameter. The problem is with the solids which will tumble in a larger diameter bore.

I wonder if the .413" groove diameter might be because Win. thought there might be a fair number of cast bullets used in their rifles, even new ones. I've always been under the impression that the original 405 Win. called for .412" bullets. Could this be another reason for the odd groove diameter?

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hey Bob, I love that photo and quote from TR! smile

[Linked Image]

I stole that pic from this online article:

Personally, I prefer the Winchester
by Philip Schreier
American Rifleman, January 2001
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/articles/art_1895.shtml

I think you'll enjoy reading it.

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think either the TSX or a 400 gr NF will shoot any buffalo on the planet dead as our economy. I'd pick your shot a little carefully, but that is more a function of open sights than the caliber. There is a DVD out called the "Mopani Collection - First Season" which has some great footage of Dave Scovill using his Turnbull Winchester (.450) on buff, hippo, and elephant. Besides, if you are planning to hunt with Hulk Hogan again, I presume he could strangle anything giving you trouble. Use it and tell us all about it.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never thought about it, but John Sharpe does have that WWF thing going, doesn't he?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it was Gail Weintrab ( sorry about spelling) that described John as Tarzan. Gail is Harry Selby's daughter, so she is not easily impressed.

Jorge, you and either rifle are up to the task, but I, for one, understand taking a rifle proven in the jess previously. A lot of the fun comes with pre trip planning and dreaming. We know dreams are not theexclusive domain of the young.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys should go to Sharp's website and look at some of his other WWF pics in there. He's my age now (56) but he can still hurt you smile

On the bullets, I'll see what North Fork says about the solids, if they are not terribly outrageous, I might try them although I have complete confidence in those TSXs.

IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Might want to give Hawk Bullets a look:

http://hawkbullets.com/

I used them in my Jeffrey's last trip due to a shortage of Woodleigh's with good result. They come in various jacket thicknesses

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No solids that I could see. Just returned from the range with the 405 (and the 257 Weatherby to keep my sanity smile ). Those TSXs continue to hold groups ~2"@100 to make me pretty well stop looking with the possible exception of solids. Let's be real guys, I'm only going to use this gun once, maybe twice in my life for a stunt like this. Domestic hunting for sure and I'll probably wear the barrel out shooting hogs, deer & bear but as a "go to" African caliber for DG, no way. At least it's a fast shooting lever and does not violate my "not with a single shot" rule.

Oh and I have that 257 cooking at almost 3700 and holding under 2"@ 200. With that and the Sharps, I'm ready for our late April Axis/hog Texas hunt!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This caliber thang has never been a problem with me, if it goes bang I have always made it work within reason..however I can get real picky about bullets and bullet construction..

I have shot a lot of buffalo on cull hunts with some very small calibers and some with some very bad ammo..A buffalo, like a bovine of any kind, can be killed with about any caliber, you just have to adjust your hunting style to fit the caliber..Finn Aagard told me of a 12 year old African that killed a sleeping buff by sticking a 22 Hornet behind his ear, and the bull never moved...Foolishness, carelessnes or just fate gets hunters killed or maimed when shooting dangerous game in 99% of the cases that I have reviewed.

If you get yourself in a charge situation, hopefully you will have good backup and a big ole rifle...Every charge I have been in a charge situation, my thought was I wish I had a 600 N.E. or something on that order instead of a 375, 9.3x62 or 450-400, but in reality I got them down with what I had because in the end its where you stick'em that counts.

My suggestion to my clients is shoot the largest caliber that you can handle recoil wise, the one that you can shoot like your varmint rifle or 22 L.R. with no thought of recoil...A 220 gr. 30-06 in the heart is deadly and beats the hell out of a 500 gr. 458 Lott in the gut and thats a proven fact.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ray, I can't say I disagree with anything you've posted, but I think all of us know that. What I was specifically looking for and answered by a few here inclusing JB was as to the efficacy of the modern 300gr TSX @ 2250 fps vs a conventional cup and core bullet circa 1909 at similar velocities or a modern bonded of heavier weight (400gr) and lower velocity. The second component of the question was the option of considering a 300gr solid or even a NF CPS in it's place. We all know that a poorly placed shot is no substitute for bore size. Cheers, jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son's Model 1895 .405 Winchester slugs out at .411"

I know many don't think much of cast bullets, but I find them pretty effective in more ways than one.

These 385 grain cast bullets sized to .412" run just over 1,900 fps with this load and could most likely go faster.

I guess you could call me ignorant, but I wouldn't hesitate shoot a buffalo with these loads. A guy could push a few through a big, tough old hog to see how they preformed if he had any doubts.

[Linked Image]

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No doubt those would punch through like crap through a goose! can you share the load data?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JorgeI,
I concur and am sure a 300 gr. 40 caliber at 2200 plus would work well enough, if the shooter does his part and that even applies to the big N.E. rounds. My thinking was that one must be careful as to where you draw the line on DG cartridges, a mistake that I have made more than once.

I say this because already this thread has gone from a 300 gr. monolithic at 2250 to a 385 gr. cast lead at 1900 FPS and I am sure one could kill a buffalo with the cast lead, but one could easily get into trouble with it also, as it would be a slow killer and a charge could come about and that is not a stopping load..I have seen the 458 Win. fail for the same reason early on with those under loaded factory 500 gr. softs and solids! Just a point to bring up for whatever it's worth.

DG rounds begin at 2000 FPS with 500 gr. bullets in the 45 caliber..at 2200 FPS with 400 gr. bullets in the 40 caliber, 300 gr. bullets at 2500 FPS in the 375..The 405 with the short stubby 300 gr. at 2250 is borderline anyway you cut it, and the cast bullet is out from my point of view..

We are in the relm of stunt hunting, and I have done a bunch of that so cannot sit in judgment of those that do and I hold no malice to those hearty souls that do such things in a proper maner with good backup and are up to living with the results if they go bad. smile smile smile

My other issue is DG with the Win. Mod. 95, the slowest loading rifle every manufactured, and that is really dangerous. Even old Teddy carried two of them...If one had a Ruger no. 1 in .405 I suspect he could easily duplicate the 450-400 with a 400 gr. bullet at 2200 FPS with safe pressures.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is plenty, IMO.

I had two fall to a 9,3X74R with 286 Woodleigh solids at 2,280 fps. Shot placement has no substitute. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
DG rounds begin at 2000 FPS with 500 gr. bullets in the 45 caliber..at 2200 FPS with 400 gr. bullets in the 40 caliber, 300 gr. bullets at 2500 FPS in the 375..The 405 with the short stubby 300 gr. at 2250 is borderline anyway you cut it, and the cast bullet is out from my point of view..

We are in the relm of stunt hunting, My other issue is DG with the Win. Mod. 95, the slowest loading rifle every manufactured, and that is really dangerous.

Then that leaves out the 450/400 @ 2100.
The 300gr 411 TSX is LONGER than the 400gr Woodleigh and I think it will penetrate better, certainly at over 100 fps faster.

Stunt hunting, no doubt and I said that from the start. As to slow reloading, I'm not seeing it. Been practicing with the 1895 and I can load it as fast as my 416 and besides it carries five down plus one in the chamber and if I can't get it done with that I'm in the wrong sport. jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paladin
My son's Model 1895 .405 Winchester slugs out at .411"

I know many don't think much of cast bullets, but I find them pretty effective in more ways than one.

These 385 grain cast bullets sized to .412" run just over 1,900 fps with this load and could most likely go faster.

I guess you could call me ignorant, but I wouldn't hesitate shoot a buffalo with these loads. A guy could push a few through a big, tough old hog to see how they preformed if he had any doubts.

[Linked Image]

Good looking bullet.Whats the details please? Thank you

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 27 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,723
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.