Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JoshK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife and I have some good friends that live in Fort Collins Co and we stopped by last year on my Wyoming antelope hunt..it worked out to be a great family vacation. Well we are planning on going out to Fort Collins again next year or the year after and Id love to plan an elk hunt for somewhere fairly close (within 2 hrs or so). What areas would you fellas recommend? Im looking for a gun hunt. Id like to do a DIY, but im not against hiring a guide. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Two fairly good areas that I can think of GMU 8 near Sand Creek Look up Bull mountain. Both sides of the road from the pass is good all up hill but the pack out is down.

GMU 6 I believe ( at work w/o map) Rahwya wilderness area. Right side of the road going to Cameron pass. Route 14 from the Poudre river canyon on up to the pass.

Both of these areas are about 60 miles from ft. Collins. Lots of elk but steep and heavy green timber. Cameron pass is 10,000'+

You can PM me tonite when I am home with maps etc.

Lefty C

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Josh, the Sierra Madres run along the Colorado/Wyoming state line. If you hunt on the Wyoming side then you're more like 3-4 hrs instead of 2 hrs from Ft. Collins, but there's lots of elk and drawing a tag is pretty easy. Check out GMU 21 for Wyoming. I don't know about the Colorado side.

If you're interested, feel free to send me a PM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The North Park area is 2 or 2 1/2 hrs from Ft Collins
Google the location for information.
I hunt areas 17 and 171. Not great hunting but Elk are there
There are some areas closer up Poudre Canyon but I'm not familiar with them. I have seen some damn big Elk while driving in the upper canyon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Josh you PM me and I'll tell you wear to go on Public ground and you will see elk........lots of them.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
Josh you PM me and I'll tell you wear to go on Public ground and you will see elk........lots of them.

Well, the Rocky Mountain National Park IS public ground. grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tracks

Well, the Rocky Mountain National Park IS public ground. grin

That's the spirit!......... laugh

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The main public land concentrations of elk throughout the whole Poudre drainage is along the park boundary in the wildernerss areas and north of Cameron Pass throughout the Rawahs. There is no easy hunting of Poudre Canyon elk. There are scattered little bands throughout the rest of the units, but not many. Like Tracks said, there are a lot more elk in North Park.
If these guys are willing to give you exactly where to go, take them up on it. None of what I told you is secret information, and the guys who hunt there still have single digit success rates with rifles. 7,8 and 19 are usually among the lowest success rates in the whole state and the vast majority of the hunters are locals who've been doing it for many years. Should tell you something.

Last edited by exbiologist; 09/01/10.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There are a lot of elk in 6,7,& 8., but they hole up in some pretty awful helly holes as soon as human activity starts to pick up in late summer or fall. Better be prepared to dig them out of some pretty awful places. The weather at 10,000' feet has to be experienced to understand just how quickly it can go from summer to artic conditions.

lefty C

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.