Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
This is how my MKII .300 Win Mag shoots with its boat paddle stock. The 1st shot was from a cleaned and oiled bore.

[Linked Image]

OK you win. I will reconsider for future purchases. Have they improved the trigger. I could bounce the 223 on my trigger finger without it firing. Have no idea what the real pull was, it maxed out my trigger scale and I could not find my fish scale.

My CZ came out the box free floated and the single set trigger needed no work. Just wish we could make guns like that in this country.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I seem to recall a report of a Ruger meeting in which an underling was talking about the reports he had been getting from people who hated the stock and thought it was ugly and dumb looking. Mr. Bill looked at the young fellow and said that he had designed the stock himself. End of discussion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

... it's one of the all time ugliest stocks but when it comes to all around use it works well. They're stiff, tough, and you can't make them look worse so go hunt hard and no worries. ...

Laughing, but that sums it up very well.

Their beauty is in their function.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F

... Have they improved the trigger. I could bounce the 223 on my trigger finger without it firing. Have no idea what the real pull was, it maxed out my trigger scale and I could not find my fish scale. ...

The new Ruger LC6 triggers seem to be pretty good. I was at Sportsman�s Warehouse yesterday and checked out several Ruger and Remington rifles. The Ruger triggers were no worse or better than the Remington and all were much better than the pre-LC6 trigger on the stainless Ruger action I picked up last weekend. Fortunately, the pre-LC6 Ruger triggers are very easy to work on and tune up nicely.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a boat paddle in 300 WM, with a timney trigger and a Leupy it is accurate with everything I try, it loves 200 gr NP, but last week I tried some wolf brand ammo and it was still around an inch! For the longest stock replacement was on my list, but it is accurate and fits me so well, it looks prettier and prettier to me! I guess love is blind LOL

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is the skeleton stock any lighter than the factory wood stock?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
Is the skeleton stock any lighter than the factory wood stock?

Not sure what a walnut stock weighs but the Ruger "boat paddle" stock weighs 2.70 pounds boxed for shipping according to the email I got from gunpartscorp.com earlier today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About the same time that I laughed at "boat paddles", I was laughing at Sav 99's. I should have been filling my gun safes with both. I didn't buy WalMart, either.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hate them so much I just bought another one. A .270Win with sights. I also have a .223Rem, a 7Mag, two .30-06s, and a .338Win, all with sights. They all shoot MOA out of the box, are impervious to the weather, and are ugly. What's not to like?

Jim
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like I always said, "My girlfriend might be ugly, but she's mine. So keep yer danged hands offen her".

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The short-action skeletons seem to be more rare than the long-action versions.... Is the length-of-pull the same as the standard M77 stock? (...13.5" I believe)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yes

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
They can be de-uglied a bit. I call this one "trailer park" as in prettiest girl in the trailer park...
Still isn't a beauty queen, but it improved some.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That looks pretty good to me.

What cartridge?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a long action (30/06) Ruger boat paddle stock that has the normal sling swivel studs installed on it.
I will make someone a good deal on it.
PM me if intersted.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I just sold mine in a 338 Win..I thought it handled the recoil real well..I liked the stock and the SS rifle for artic hunting I guess...It certain would fill the bill there, and mine was about as accurate as a rifle could be..I sold it to an Alaskan btw, he had several of them and loved them..It was a real nice rifle.

My problem is I like rust blue and Russian Circasian walnut in English/African persuasion..lean and mean..

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
my neighbor gave me his Stainless 270 with that ugly SOB on it. He had killed over 150 deer with the rifle and thought the barrel was worn out on it. All it needed was the bullets seated out a little bit further.

Piece of crap shot 1" at 200 yards with H4831SC and 130g Hornady FB.

The groups opened up a little, then I bedded the recoil lug, back to shooting great again.

Barrel channel has not been touched, barrel touches all the way out.

I would have never believed it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had two of the centerfire stainless paddle stock M77's. Both shot uncommonly well and were tough as a bore's snoot. I goofed around and swapped them off for something or other. I regret that now, but I did manage to hang onto a boat paddle stocked M77/22 .22LR and it is just like the bigger brothers. Shoots really well and shrugs off rough handling and weather.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

That looks pretty good to me.

What cartridge?

Its a .223 currently but the barrel is close to toasted. I am probably going to rebarrel it for the 6mmTCU in the coming year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And then there were three.

The new Ruger �boat paddle� stock from Numrich arrived and I quickly discovered my stainless MKII .30-06 action and barrel wouldn�t fit � the barrel channel appeared to be sized for something considerably smaller than a .30-06 barrel. Rather than butcher the stock myself, I decided to let my gunsmith open the channel up after hunting season when he will be reaming out the throat to match my other .30-06 chambers. The stock went into the safe.

Here�s a photo of the stock with my three .30-06s. From left to right, Ruger M77 tang safety, Ruger MKII stainless, Remington M700. The new �boat paddle� stock from Numrich is next, followed by the Ruger MKII long action/magnum face I plan to build into a .375 Ruger or a .338-375 Ruger.

[Linked Image]

After deciding it would be Christmas before the work was completed, two messages arrived from different sources, both offering a boat paddle stock for sale, both in excellent shape and both with studs replacing the factory swivels. The stocks were take-offs from a .270 Win and a .30-06 so the barrel channels were shaped properly, too. Hmm, no gunsmith fees, swivel studs already installed, no waiting and $50 delivered. I decided I couldn�t pass that up and one of them arrived today. After getting home from work the first thing I did was mount the stainless MKII .30-06 in the boat paddle stock and then mounted the stainless long action in the laminate stock from the .30-06. Both were perfect fits.

[Linked Image]

It seems the best picture of my boat paddle .300 Win Mag is the one below with Daughter #2 and myself, taken during the 2009 elk/deer hunt. Although the action and barrel appear to be stainless in the picture, they are blued. Turned down several shot opportunities at elk that year while waiting for my son-in-law to squeeze one off, but did take two deer with the 180g MRXs I had loaded up. The MRX�s worked great � both deer went straight down with pass-thru shots on a broadside and facing, with minimal meat loss...

[Linked Image]

Since I now seem to have an extra boat paddle stock, the new one from Numrich, I�ve decided to try a camo paint job. Can�t make it any uglier...

If anyone is interested in a boat paddle I can provide the information for the one I didn�t buy. It looks great in the pictures the seller sent.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.