Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'm thinking of buying some good 10x pocket bino's and had intentions of getting a pair of Swaro 10x25's as I have owned a few pair of these and liked them OK, I have also been looking for a bino that maybe a better value, (more bang for My buck) I have seen these Premier 10x25's NIB for $354.00 with free shipping even, That's half the price of the Swarovski's, I think this bino might be the better value but I have never had My hands on any, has anybody ever compared these two? and what opinions do you have of the Nikon's?................Thanks Hillbilly.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a Nikon LX, 8X32. I have the highest opinion of it.
As far as I'm concerned, the little, and optically excellent 10X25 Zeiss I had was the most miserable to use binocular I've ever owned or even tried out. Way too light with way too much image shake. In contrast, their 8X20 was much beeter. Not nearly as good as the Nikon LX I have, but alot more pratical and easier to use than the 10X25.
I stongly suggest you try one out from somebody like Doug who will take it back for a full refund if you are disappointed. E

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks E, but I've tried the little 8x20's with their tiny 20mm tubes before and I was not impressed I also would like a little more power than 8x....................Hillbilly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you have gotten a little good advice, so here is mine, I have some pocket binocs, I use them for vacations, in the truck, and at sporting games. the are the 8x20 or 25 minox units the later models with more eyerelief. they are good for what they are. my dad has the same unit but in 10x.

the thing to keep in mind is when you have a small obj lense like that it just works better as a lower power unit. you will gather more light with an 8x unit. the other thing mentioned is shake. while a 10x in a heavier bino isn't that big of deal but these small units that are light and not as easy to get a good grip on will cause alot more shake. I think you will be happier with a 8x unit. these pocket binocs are not ones you will want to use for an extended period of time glassing anyways. they are more of a backup or what you happen to have with you type unit. 8x will just work better for you.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'm not buying pocket bino's to use for extended periods of glassing, I don't do that in the Eastern hardwoods while Whitetail bow hunting, these bin's will be used simply to identify Whitetail buck rack size at mostly 100 yds or less, and a 10x25 will gather the exact same amount of light as an 8x20 binocular as they both have the exact same 2.5 exit pupil............But thanks for the advice anyway.............Hillbilly.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so why not get an 8x25 especially if the ranges will be inside 100 yards, I think that was the point I was making. having used both 8x and 10x in a pocket binoc, I will pick the 8x unit everytime.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I prefer the Leicas to the Swaro in the 10x25. I used mine on and off for a period and sold them.
They were great in full daylight, no so in dim light.
If the use is out to 100 meters, have you considered a good quality 6 x30

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had to jump in here as I am a fan of the compacts. I have considered Swaros but they are harder to find (ie try out), more expensive and from reports I have seen, are not as good for eyeglass wearers (taken with a grain of salt).

I have used the Nikon LX, 8x20 and 10x25, and Leica Trinovid and Ultravid in 8x20 and 10x25.

I can say that if the choice were between Nikon and Swaro, you cannot lose with Nikon. This is only because I have compared the Nikons to the Leicas, which should be optically comparable to Swaro.

The Nikons will be "biggish" compared to other compacts. I don't even consider the Nikon 10x25 a compact - more of a mid-size.

While 8x20 and 10x25 have the same exit pupil, the larger objective and magnification do allow you to see more. I like to use "twilight factor" which shows that a 10x25 is very comparable to an 8x32. In practice, I find the 10x25 useful almost to dusk, while the 8x20 is barely useful in anything but broad daylight or overcast.

If this is an "all around" binocular, then I'd check out some of the ones recommended above in the 30mm range. But light and compact is a great feature - especially when you have to pack in and pack out. The Nikon has a narrow 5.5 degree view - this will be beat handily by almost any mid-size. From 100 yds, this will be less of a problem.

As far as shake - it's very easy to solve. The Leica manual (downloadable at the Leica site) demonstrates the technique to hold the glasses so that you minimize shake - works with 8x20 and 10x25. Feels a bit strange at first but it works. Typical binocular holding techniques will be shaky.

In any event, I prefer the Nikon to the Ultravid (due to build quality) and due to brightness, the Nikon is actually better than the Trinovid as well. So in comparison to the Swaro, I doubt you'd have buyer's remorse going with the Nikon.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The only way I ever found to get my 10X25's steady was to put them on something solid, and not touch them at all. Like a tripod.....
Lots of people think to see better, you need more magnification. Not true often enough. A heavier binocular makes a big difference, even with 8X stuff. A tripod, is, of course the ultimate in that area.
Often, an 8X is a hair sharper than a 10x of the same size.
As the magnification increases, it will often increase the imperfections of the image as well. Particularly in the small binoculars. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Lots of people think to see better, you need more magnification. Not true often enough. A heavier binocular makes a big difference, even with 8X stuff. A tripod, is, of course the ultimate in that area.
Often, an 8X is a hair sharper than a 10x of the same size.
As the magnification increases, it will often increase the imperfections of the image as well. Particularly in the small binoculars. E

Very true and that has been my experience as well.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If there is a worse idea in a bin than the 10x25 it would only be a 10x20.

Get an 8x20 and don't worry about the extra X's... your eyes will thank you.

Of the Big Four (Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, Nikon), I'd put Swarovski dead last in the mini-bin category.

My favorite is the Leica Ultravid 8x20. Second favorite (which I own) is the Zeiss 8x20 FL*T. The Nikon 8x20 LXL is a close third... darn close, but I prefer the ergos of the Zeiss over the Nikon. In fact, I prefer the ergos of the Zeiss over the Leica Ultravid.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a few 10x25's including the Swaro, some Lieca both Ultravids and Trinovids but never any Zeiss compacts or the bino in question the Nikon Premier 10x25. I like the size and power, that's not whats in question, I wanted to hear from someone who has compared the Nikon to a Swaro or other "Big Three" brand and finally someone did answer My question (the topic of this thread) and said that they compared favorably to the Zeiss and I do agree if they compare favorably to the Zeiss compacts they should hold their own with any other brand, I am looking for the best value in a 10x25 pocket bino as the big three brands are astronomically priced, I don't want to debate the merits of 8x vs 10x compact bin's......................Thanks Stevens........ Hillbilly

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.