CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4395607 - 09/08/10 04:46 PM Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat?
Moss Offline

I enjoyed eating rabbit as a child and lately I've had the craving for it. I'm going to hunt for it this Fall and Winter. My only concern is disease and parasites. Is it safe to eat wild rabbit? Are there any special precautions I should take? I would appreciate any advice.

#4395753 - 09/08/10 05:27 PM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: Moss]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: NC
Normal sanitary precautions. Wear gloves.

I had this when I was a kid.

#4396114 - 09/08/10 06:55 PM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: Moss]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Northern Florida
Originally Posted By: Moss
I enjoyed eating rabbit as a child and lately I've had the craving for it. I'm going to hunt for it this Fall and Winter. My only concern is disease and parasites. Is it safe to eat wild rabbit? Are there any special precautions I should take? I would appreciate any advice.
They say that if you wait till after the first overnight freeze you should be safe because, theoretically, if there's any with a disease, that will kill them by morning. They need to be in tip top health to survive an overnight freeze.
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#4396152 - 09/08/10 07:03 PM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
Otter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: from NEBRASKA - exiled in Arka...
We always followed the old wive's tale that if the month you kill them in has an "R" in it, then you would be OK (i.e., don't kill them for food in May, June, July and August). I'm still alive and with no known ill effects from rabbit meat . . .
NRA Endowment Member

#4396272 - 09/08/10 07:33 PM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: Otter]
fish head Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Colorado front range
It all comes down to final cooking temperature. Once you get get the meat hot enough to kill any living organisms it doesn't matter as much. Handling infected meat at room temperature and the risk of cross contamination is a different story.

#4396315 - 09/08/10 07:44 PM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: fish head]
Otter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: from NEBRASKA - exiled in Arka...
Originally Posted By: fish head
It all comes down to final cooking temperature

Yeah, that's pretty important, too. We always fried the parts and then steamed in the oven for a good long while, mostly to help make it tenderer (is that a word?) but it also got the internal temp up to "safe" levels. Made rabbit pot pies in my Dutch ovens on a campout last year, they didn't last long and this thread is getting me ready to go get some fuzzy tails . . .
NRA Endowment Member

#4396630 - 09/08/10 09:38 PM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: Otter]
2crow Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Southern San Joaquin
We were just talking about wabbits the other day around here.

Think we'll give them a try here.

#4396724 - 09/09/10 12:45 AM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: 2crow]
medicman1 Offline

Loc: NW Ontario, Canada
The old wives tail about no months with an R is the rule we followed as well. I always checked for spots on the lungs and livers, and when there rejected the rabbit. You can eat tame rabbits butchered any time of the year.

Randy formerly posting as medicman

#4400821 - 09/10/10 07:50 AM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: medicman1]
brinky72 Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: mrguns
The old wives tail about no months with an R is the rule we followed as well. I always checked for spots on the lungs and livers, and when there rejected the rabbit. You can eat tame rabbits butchered any time of the year.

Randy formerly posting as medicman

Ditto! Just check for spots on the lungs and liver real close. As far as cooking that depends if your getting cottontails or snow shoe hare. Cotton tails are easier to prepare but snowshoe hare you need to slow roast or even pressure cook for hours before you will be able to sink a tooth into them. They're tough as nails. Good when you get them tender but just keep in mind it won't be a quick meal.

Edited by brinky72 (09/10/10 07:53 AM)

#4401135 - 09/10/10 09:37 AM Re: Wild Rabbit Safe To Eat? [Re: brinky72]
hotsoup Offline
Campfire Tracker

we hunt em' and eat em' every year. we don't usually begin hunting until sometime in oct (except when they get too plentiful in the spring and start eating soybeans). we always fry them first, then into either the pressure cooker or oven for a spell. i am aware of the diseases and parisites associated with rabbit, but have never even heard of a case around here. perhaps it has somwething to do with "country cooking". we started wearing gloves 10-12 years ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on STEINER OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
700 registered (10generation, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1minute, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 1714 Guests and 330 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50226 Members
72 Forums
628721 Topics
9013141 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.