Print Thread
Hop To
R
rock42 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
my tc flintlock is supposed to be reliable with the pyrodex pellets. well if they think that it going off about one in five times is reliable well then maybe it is but that isn't good enough for me. I just gave up on them and started using regular black powder in it. does anybody have any tricks for making pyrodex pellets work in a flintlock.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't have any expierence with Pyrodex Pellets, but I do have some with Pyrodex. That wouldn't work in our flintlocks either. If I put ten grains of blackpowder down the barrel before pouring down the charge of Pyrodex, it would go off without even a hangfire (it had been hanging up a few seconds without it). I would think that it is worth trying with the Pyrodex Pellets.<BR>I hope it works.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might want to check with Hodgdon but I don't believe Pyrodex pellets are recommended in flintlocks or sidehammers. They work fine in in-lines. I use Pyrodex RS Select in my sidehammer and the German caps. In my flintlock I still use the Pyrodex and I use 4F blackpowder in the priming pan.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think he's talking about his Firestorm.<BR>They were designed (from what I heard) to work with Pyrodex Pellets.

R
rock42 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
yeah it's the firestorm. it was supposedly designed for the pellets but they don't work too well in it. it's a nice gun and shoots well with regular black powder, but the pellets just won't work for me.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another suggestion is to try Pyrodex in powder form. That would probably work better than the pellets. If that doesn't work, you can try the blackpowder thing I said about above.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
in my humble opinion, pyrodex pellets are crap, i have the best results with black powder...gutpile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Even thugh I can make Pyrodex work in my flintlock by feeding it blackpowder first, for now, I just feed it straight FFFg powder.<BR> I may try working a hunting load with that 10 grains and Pyrodex I said about for next year. But for now, I'm happy.

R
rock42 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
well I gave up on pellets, I donated them to someone who uses them. now I'm just using 130 grain ffg and a hornady 240 gr conical. <P>I'm happy now those conicals are cheap and they group really tight. at 100 yards and open sight I put two in the same hole and one about 2.5 inches to the left. I also put two in the same hole at 65 yards with the open sights. I hope no one at the pa game comission reads this because they still think flintlocks are primitive and inaccurate past 50 yards.<P>------------------<BR>"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, and then they may legalize crossbows for all Pa bow hunters. That sure is primitive. But in all seriousness, I like the flintlock only law. It keeps a lot of people out of the woods that shouldn't be in there in the first place.

IC B3

R
R
I heard the pyrojunk makes a fair fertilizer. <P>------------------<BR>Only accurate rifles are interesting. Rock

Only accurate rifles are interesting. Rock

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,854
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.