-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you shoot any bpcr or just troll around on the boards?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Do you shoot any bpcr or just troll around on the boards?

1. Whether or not I shoot any BPCR or "just troll around on the boards" has nothing to do with the discussion of the 32Spl.

2. Refer back my to earlier post regarding arguing with idiots.

3. End of discussion.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
crazy Well cripes just asking a simple question. I guess we'll have to take your response as a no? shocked

Just one point of order the original intent of this thread was to find out about loading the 30-30 with bp,,,,, NOT the misinformation passed along by you about the 32 special.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being from WY, I understand that some here can NEVER admit they are wrong regardless of the facts. There are still Obama stickers on cars up in Jackson (not Jackson Hole!).
Again, any fool who knows anything about BP and actually shoots it, knows no 30 +- caliber is the ideal for it. Point is it CAN be done and Winchester said it could. Every respected gun writer since then who has agreed is a fool and our boy from the Equality state is right ? UH HUH ! Wonder if he knows the twist in the 32 Special is different from the 30-30 and why ? Ever heard of the late Ken Waters ? Oh yeah, just another dummy gun writer. Buy a copy of PET LOADS, you might become enlightened.

Craigster has it right, this thread is all over.

Newt-Condi 2012
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BossLady
Ever heard of the late Ken Waters ?

Hey smart guy, Ken Waters isn't dead.

At least he wasn't a couple of months ago and I find no mention of his passing.

Once again Larry is passing BS to make himself feel better.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Hey black powder gurus:

Let's assume that I have a 30-30 project in the works and it will be destined for one bullet/charge combination.

What bullet type, powder, and barrel length would you recommend for a utility 30-30WCF, that may see service as a boar gun and a deer rifle. Max range 100yds.

This will go in a brake action type of gun.

I think the barrels are 12 twist, ITMAD.

.22 CB shorts are OK fine for hogs, dunno why a BP .30-30 wouldn't work. I wouldn't go to the trouble myself, but hey, whatever works for you is fine. BP and straight wall cases are a happier union IMO.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For those who might be interested in more "internet drivel" on BP in the 32 Special:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?111624-32-Winchester-Special-with-Black-Powder

Be sure to read the whole thread.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once again OldDouches senility rears its ugly head.

After incorrectly stating that Ken Waters is dead OldDouche gets called the liar he is and then he PM's me this little gem.

Hey, bright brat,
posted right here in 2006 REPEAT 2006:

"Quote:

I always respected and enjoyed reading Ken Waters and Bob Hagel's articles and books.... Does anyone know if they are still living?

I talked with Ken about three or four months ago, but he is unable to write (sigh!).

Bob died late last year. "

Doesn't sound like he is doing well, now does it ?

So in OldDouches twisted, bitter brain the fact that Bob Hagel died means that Ken Waters must have died as well.

What a moron!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A couple of years ago I asked a similar question on here and was asking about pyrodex. Someone told me that I could not get enough pyrodex in the case to be dangerous so I loaded up some 30-30's with all of the pyrodex that I could get in the case. I even viberated it to make it settle and then loaded up some 170 grain bullets that I had. They shot ok but was pretty slow. I am on the road and do not have my notes but I am thinking about 1200 to 1400 fps was the best that I could get. This was out of a 94 Winchester and did not dirty the rifle all that bad. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate all the advice, and have decided to stick with smokeless.

I was bordering on admitting to myself it was a stupid question, but once all the 32 Win commentary started to develop, I realize that the moniker of "trouble maker" that my wife has placed on me is a sure truism, even when unintentional.

Carry on gents.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RWE,
It was hardly a stupid question. And the crap by the 32 Win wonderboys only proves that "stupid" really is.

You can't take the blame for this trouble. They earned all by themselves.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
RWE

Actually, there is no reason on Earth that a .30 caliber cast lead bullet of say, 180 grains, moving at say, 1300fps, shouldn't easily take a hog, deer, elk or bear!

No reason whatsoever.

Proximity and placement will do the job. Not velocity.

Penetration will be adequate.

Try 777 over a chrono

edited to add: The twist rate will be a bit fast for pure soft lead. With 777 Fouling will not normally be an issue but it's not real black powder. It likes the same lubes you have with smokeless bullets. I have used it to decent results in a .375 Winchester.

Don't expect the world, but give it a shot so you'll know the answer.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 09/25/10.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Actually the 32 was built with a slower twist rifling to reduce fowling with BP and lead bullets. That is why a 32 will loose accurcy with smokeless powder when the rifling starts to wear as it was not meant to use high velocity ammo. all old timers such as me have known this for years. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually the bp in 32 cal is more about why they chambered the 32-40 up to the depression than anything to do with the special.
By the time the 32 special came out winchester included it in their smokeless reloading data sheets. But they never did offer blackpowder data , nor factory loads for the 32 special, but they did for the 32-40.

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The 32 winchester was offered with the slow twist so that reloaders could use BP and lead. bullets and smokeless powder at that time were very expensive, and the farmers used BP to reload most of their ammo including shotguns. BP was about .10c per pound, smokless $1.00 per pound. farm jobs such as working in the hay fields pay was .50c a week. so you can see the reason. BP was favored to reload with. and it would kill as good as smokeless. there were no 1000 yd shots at anything. it would of been frowned on even if you were successful at scoring. I was raised with the idea that 1 shot 1 animal was expected. so a rifle that would handle both were needed and winchester answered the call with the 32 winchester with a slow twist for ease of cleaning and less foeling between shots. I remember bullet molds made of clay, the mold was made in two pieces around a good bullet and baked. it was held togather with raw hide tied. and had a small hole to pour in the lead. slow yes , accurate maby, deadly yes with in range that is why you had to be a hunter first accurcy second.

youall don't know how lucky you are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You folks back east must of been richer than us out west. Most of the "farm" folk didn't even reload much of anything until the late 50's early 60's. Back at the time of the introduction of the 32 special cartridge and at least until after world war 2 , IF they even owned a centerfire rifle they probably didn't buy 1 box of factory loads but about every 5 years.
Still have a couple of partial boxes of cartridge one of my grandfathers bought for his 30-40. 3rd generation Wyoming rancher staring hard at 60 years old.
You have no idea how thankful I am for what I have and am able to do these days.....

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
actually I only remember straight walled cases being reloaded at my home with hand made tools. 12 ga and 45/70 and a 25 caliber of some sort . it was as long as the 45 case but don't know what it was except for 25 caliber.shot shell were taken apart and the shot was molded into a ball for deer and then put back togather. shot shells were most avaible shells as were 22 shorts.my ammo was a box of 22 shorts each fall for .15c. 1 shell was used to check my sights,49 brought home 49 animals. I was raised in the mountains of WV.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've never loaded the .30-30 with black powder, but I've loaded several other calibers that are not normally associated with BP. They've all shot reasonably well and were a lot of fun. I get a kick out of squeezing off a round of black powder aroung a bunch of guys, just to see their reactions. I loaded the 8mm Mauser with Pyrodex RS and it shot decent groups. My Ruger Number One .375 H&H does pretty well with 250 grain bullets intended for the .38-55 Winchester. Both of these calibers shot better groups with the Pyrodex than with Unique.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hehehe wanna turn that 375 into a screamin mimi, load her up with 90 grs of 2 f black and seat one of those 255's on top..
We call it the 38-90 belted bottleneck..

www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I did. It was fun. LOL. I like that .38-90 Belted Bottleneck.

Last edited by Monolithic_Solid; 09/28/10.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,948
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.