Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bonefish
Delta Hunter..... Is there a public rifle range in north MS? I have not joined the club in Memphis and am looking for an alternative place to sight in a couple of rifles and test some loads. Thanks

There's the Desoto Rifle and Pistol club which I'm a member of. It's not public, but membership is very reasonable. They have two ranges now, one is east of Hernando in Desoto county (about 15 minutes from my home) and the other, the newer one, is right off I-55 east of Como. The new one in Como has a max range of 600 yards I believe. The one in Desoto co. is limited to 200 yards.

Check out joining. I believe it's worth it. Here's the website:

http://desotorifleandpistolclub.com/

Weiners are health food - My dad
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dakotakid
Delta,

Have you run those loads through the chrony? Wondering what they clocked in the Sako.

Sorry, didn't chrono those loads and don't own the Sako any more.

I've got a 7mm mag Beretta Mato now and am working with the 150 BT and RL22. I haven't maxed it out yet. At 65 grs. I was getting about 2970ish fps. I'm planning on going up to maybe 68 grs. when I get the time. Accuracy so far is very good, but I'm hoping as I near a max load it'll get even better. In my experience the 150 BT just flat out works in the 7 mag.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know how it performs on mule deer, but it is a good performer on whitetails for sure. My Dad used some handloaded and Federal Premium loads using the 150 grain NBT and killed a nice pile of deer with them. They do perform better at ranges over 100 yards, but they do pretty good under 100 yards, they just seem to bloodshot more meat which is not that big of a deal since we don't eat the ribs anyway.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Good Lord. Now EVERYBODY is going to hate me! grin

The one deer I shot with one... to say it blew up would be an exaggeration; it was neck shot and it certainly exited out the other side of the neck. But it sure did take out some meat. It literally made chunk like the size of an apple or a double fist, vanish. It is, to this day, the most dramatic wound I've seen on a deer.

That was from a 7mm-08 at a MV in the mid 2600's, at fairly close range.

The more stuff a bullet wrecks the faster the animal dies. I fail to see how a large wound is a bad thing.
When using the 165 AB at max book velocity out of my 300 RUM I have found that a exit hole the size of a golf ball makes tracking easy if they run, which doesnt usually happen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, I agree with all that. Reference the "TSX wars". smile

And it was a sample of one, which is to say, meaningless or nearly so. But, I came away from it thinking it wasn't a good bullet for my needs simply because I can't always shoot them in the neck (or behind the shoulder). If what I saw was representative, and I shot a deer into or through a shoulder, the meat loss would have been substantial.

It was 8-9 years ago, before I always had a camera in my pocket (cell phone) which is too bad. It really did look like someone had implanted a small bomb in it's neck then set it off.

I really want to whack one with the little 120-gn NBT. Almost did last year at very close range but it didn't work out.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just got a box of 150 nbt going to load them in 284 win hope they work grin

hunt8mm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you shoot a deer in the neck and hit vertebrae with nearly anything, it'll look like you describe. Bone shards tend to make a mess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I forgot to mention, this was on the ENTRANCE side of the neck.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yepper that will happen on certain neck shots and on shots to the sternum, I notice it from time to time especially on yotes with a high speed round..

I also happen to take note of the fact that the volunteers hit the turf really quick.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This was the end of that deer, mos' def' Mark!

Hey buddy- got new listing in contract in two days this weekend, at full price! It was interesting how it played out and we'll have to discuss it sometime. I have my concerns RE: appraisal though.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
give me a shout..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Classic load of 7 mags with this bullet is

150g, bullet just touching the lands
63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem 9 1/2 primer
Rem brass

Out of my 700's, this load will shoot with the bullets touching at 100 yds.

One Stainless sendero will shoot just opening up a single bullet hole.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Delta Hunter
The 150 BT is the most accurate bullet I've ever used in a 7mm mag and I've had no problems with them on whitetail deer.

[Linked Image]

Those groups are exceptional!
Kudos on the good shooting.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by keith
Classic load of 7 mags with this bullet is

150g, bullet just touching the lands
63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem 9 1/2 primer
Rem brass

Out of my 700's, this load will shoot with the bullets touching at 100 yds.

One Stainless sendero will shoot just opening up a single bullet hole.

+1

M
M
@Mark Dobrenski...you have settled a delemma for me as well. I shoot the 150 NBT's out of my 7 mm RM and LOVE them...but hear all that crap about not being any good for elk. As a fellow Montanan, you know that deer hunting and elk hunting often are happening at the same time (especially in central and eastern Montana) and so a rifle/bullet combo that will do well for both is ideal. I have been mulling over changing bullets...but I have alot loaded and a whole new box of 150 gr. NBT's sitting on my loading bench. So...it would mean working up a new load and likely resighting my rifle which I would rather not do.SO...Thank you for settling this for me for once and for all.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Delta Hunter
The 150 BT is the most accurate bullet I've ever used in a 7mm mag and I've had no problems with them on whitetail deer.

[Linked Image]

How far off of the lands were you seating the bullets?

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jocko,

In your picture above, do the numbers .388" and .294" below the charge weights represent group sizes?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Montana2008

it would mean working up a new load and likely resighting my rifle

That's why winter was invented!

There's not much walking around that I wouldn't shoot with the 150 BT out of my 7mm SAUM, and elkies sure aren't one of the critters that would get a pass. grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Jocko,

In your picture above, do the numbers .388" and .294" below the charge weights represent group sizes?

It's not my picture, it's Delta Hunter's picture. I was just asking how far off the lands he seated his bullets to get those kinds of groups.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm looking forward to running this bullet as my exclusive through a custom 7x57 that is to be finished up this year... I've had it going as a project since Dec of '08, so this has been a long time coming...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.