-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I had some photos of my son's No1 .338 Win. It's a beater even by Alaskan standards but it still shoots well.

He sort of replaced it with a stainless No1 in 35 Whelen. Don't know if you can see it but the trigger guard lever is rounded ala Farquarhson.
[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim62,

OK, all the evidence I can gather is in and the issue still seems open due to contravening conclusions, but I am more sure than ever that this is a salt wood stock.

I finally was able to talk with Art again and this time he said he cannot remember any Rugers with salt wood stocks. He did say he saw some Weatherbys with salt wood. (NOTE: This is quite different from what he told me a year ago about Rugers and he offered no explanation for the change.)

On the other hand, the silver nitrate testing agent for salt wood that Art uses finally arrived. I tried some on a Browning Safari rifle stock that is known to be salt wood and the clear liquid turned to milk -- the tell-tale sign of salt in the wood. I also tried it on the butt stock of my Ruger #1S and got the SAME reaction -- salt. As an additional control test, I then tried it on a spare #1B butt stock I have -- no reaction. Please note that all areas I tested were under the butt pad and far away from any blued, action/barrel, parts that might have been exposed to excess bluing salts.

My bottom line now, pending other evidence, is that this #1 rifle has a salt wood stock. Whether there are any more and how many there may be, I duno!

1B

Last edited by 1B; 11/05/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Wish I had some photos of my son's No1 .338 Win. It's a beater even by Alaskan standards but it still shoots well.

He sort of replaced it with a stainless No1 in 35 Whelen. Don't know if you can see it but the trigger guard lever is rounded ala Farquarhson.
[Linked Image]

Interesting sights on that rifle, Phil. Anything worth sharing about them?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

[Linked Image]

Agreed, I would like to hear a little about them myself.

I definitely like how the factory quarter rib was removed and replaced with something "better" in place of attaching to the quarter rib. That and the 1" red pad (Pachmayer?).

I could definitely appreciate that rig.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don't remember ever seeing a beater #1, but I also can't remember seeing too many second-hand #1's for sale in any condition. That's probably a regional thing.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
mine is becomeing a beater. it is scratched blueing is wearing off the barrel and action. weve falling of cliff faces together. just this deer season i had a spill while climbing down a water fall cliff. knocked the stinking target turret of the leupold and put some deep gauges in the walnut.
i use it alot at times it good used daily in cold weather rain snow and the mudd.

even though shes been with me for 10 years and is getn alittle rougher looking my 2506 in rugger m77 is picture perfect beater. blueing is gone, stain is gone for spots ont eh stock.

i love useing rifles and when i have favorite it goes everywhere all the time.
they cant look new forever unless theyre hanging on the wall.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
but yeah to answer the question i havent seen a rough used #1 nibe us pretty much the roughest number one ive ever seen. all numbers ones on the used shelf look like new and bring new prices

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 1B
Jim62,

I finally was able to talk with Art again and this time he said he cannot remember any Rugers with salt wood stocks. He did say he saw some Weatherbys with salt wood. (NOTE: This is quite different from what he told me a year ago about Rugers and he offered no explanation for the change.)

Well, that's what I figured, since I have never heard of any Rugers with salt wood. Also, Weatherbys could have salt wood stocks since they were also stocked in California grown walnut.

Last edited by jim62; 11/16/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had one come in the store in 7mm mag, rough shape but fixable. He wanted $250 for it, I offered 200, he wouldn't take it, like a dummy I let him walk.

JohnP
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a 1A in 270 win at a local pawnshop.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Saw one in a local gunshop that some knucklehead had spray painted ALL OVER with green and brown paint and to add insult to injury, sprinkled some sand into the mix for texture. I almost bought it to save it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would this be considered a "beater"?

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is that even a legal barrel length for a rifle?

What chambering is it?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Absolutely!

Anchorage, Alaska
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no idea what caliber. I found it on a custom gunsmith forum tag.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
my dads is a 22-250 that he has kept in his truck for as long as I can remeber. It pretty beat up but he can still tag a yote with it across the pasture. I killed my first few deer with that gun. It still wears the old redfield with a target dot that it has always had. I love that old gun and hope he leaves it to me.

I quess its one of those deals where you hate to beat the gun up but you hate more not to use it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

[Linked Image]

I definitely like how the factory quarter rib was removed and replaced with something "better" in place of attaching to the quarter rib. That and the 1" red pad (Pachmayer?).

Me three! It kinda looks like the XS Weaver backup on a custom base?

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

[Linked Image]

Me three! It kinda looks like the XS Weaver backup on a custom base?

Pete

Guys, I inadvertantly ran across the answer just yesterday. I was searching for info on the 9.3x74R and ran across a post from Feb of 2010 explaining the barrel. He has the same picture posted and if you scroll to the bottom, he provides an explanation.

Ruger #1 in Alaska

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 11,591 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,250
Posts18,544,399
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.