Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi there, new to the forum. I wanted to warn everyone out there who dreams of owning a double rifle but doesn't have the resources to spend 6k plus on one, and thinks that Sabatti double rifles at cabela's are the answer.

My father was excited when finally, he could buy his boyhood dream double rifle for "only" 3 grand. He made a 300 mile trip to cabelas, traded in several of his guns to generate the capital to afford a sabatti, and got one.

Once he got it home, he noticed two MAJOR imperfections in each of the barrels. In addition, after 20 rounds, the gun had to be literally broken over a knee to open (think the motion of breaking a stick on your knee--yeah, that hard).

He took the gun back to cabelas, and they sent it to EAA in Florida. Yes, USSG (sabatti importer) is the same as EAA. When he got the gun back, they (EAA) had literally polished and cold-blued the barrel problems!!!!! They just tried to hide it!!!!The gun opened ok (for now).

Since the barrels were still messed up, my father looked at another sabatti. It too had the same type of barrel flaws as his did, and this BRAND NEW gun was extremely difficult to open after snapping on empty cases. The hammers are not being cocked soon enough and the firing pins are literally dragging across the primers!!!!! He got his money back, and is now just dreaming about a double again.

IF YOU PLAN ON SHOOTING YOUR SABATTI, DON'T GET A SABATTI--THEY ARE MADE OF INFERIOR MATERIALS AND ARE VERY LOW QUALITY. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Your father may have gotten the only lemon so far. Everyone else that has gotten them is very impressed with the quality for the buck$. One has been examined by JJ Pederou the D/R Guru `smith and he's impressed with the rifle for what it is.
Did you expect an H&H for the price? It's a step up from a Biakal but not a best quality rifle. You get what you pay for.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nothing personal, Sabattistinks BUT I find it strange that you suddenly appear with this agenda and this name with an axe to grind. Is this your usual name here or are you 'trolling'.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, I just love these simpleton rants. I guess I am royally screwed as I have two of them on lay away to be picked up in a week or so. Oh darn if I only knew...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems odd that JJ at Champlin's just torn one apart and gave it very high regards.They appear to be sell well enough,however what did you guys lose on the deal? Sounds like Cabelas stepped up and made right!
I have handled several at my local Cabelas and I was impressed,however a better deal for me came about on a Merkel and I bought it.I have several deals in the works,but I am looking hard at a .450/400 for my needs...or wants.....rifle

Last edited by rifle; 09/21/10.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hey Rifle
Go for it. My Sabatti 450/400 is great! Shoots great, handles great, and is at the top of my favorites list. Of course,I have only put a few hundred rounds thru it...?? Maybe it is the 45/70's, or maybe it is an agenda?? I noticed the anti Sabatti rant was everywhere I looked on my gun sites?
Rick

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing but an agenda... I wonder who he works for?

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AkMike1
Nothing personal, Sabattistinks BUT I find it strange that you suddenly appear with this agenda and this name with an axe to grind. Is this your usual name here or are you 'trolling'.

Yep, don't own one, never shot one, but sure makes you wonder, with a name like that, and 5 posts...... smirk

maddog

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hadn't heard of Sabatti until today. It looks quite interesting! I'm thinking one with ejectors in 470 NE.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was a SHOT this year, I had a chance to handle every model of SABATTI double. They really caught my eye because they seemd to be VERY well built guns for the $$. After examining them closely I find it HARD to beleive that any company finishing the outside of a rifle to those standards would scimp on the guts.

JJ Perideaux's rep speaks for itself. If he is impressed with them then that should speak volumes. The bottom line is ANY gun company can relese a flawed product from time to time.

My question is this-Cabelas has a viritual lock on the Sabbati doubles in terms of retailing and promote them hard- WHERE were they during all this?

For the kind of $$ the Sababittis cost ,they should have IMMEDIATAELY exchanged that first rifle with a second, and sent the defective gun back to USSG on THIER time, not the customers.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, I just love these simpleton rants

First of all, I'm not sure I would dismiss the comments as "simpleton rants". For one, its quite condescending and doesn't truly help the situation. Secondly, its seems as though the poster has a legitimate complaint with Sabatti rifles. He is discussing his experience and opinion of the rifles, nothing more. Sure, he could have worded his posts a little differently, but its irrelevant now.

Its these types of snide remarks that honestly do not encourage others to join to forum, or even participate.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jason280
Yep, I just love these simpleton rants

First of all, I'm not sure I would dismiss the comments as "simpleton rants". For one, its quite condescending and doesn't truly help the situation. Secondly, its seems as though the poster has a legitimate complaint with Sabatti rifles. He is discussing his experience and opinion of the rifles, nothing more. Sure, he could have worded his posts a little differently, but its irrelevant now.

Its these types of snide remarks that honestly do not encourage others to join to forum, or even participate.

Well Jason, when "participation" amounts to aposter's ENIIRE presence here to be nothing more than a blantant attempt to smear the reputation of a gun company(as in his screen name SABBTTISSUCK) WTF do you EXPECT folks here to think?

The dude is obviously spamming this shcit on every online forum he can find.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have a good point,but I believe the OP did say Cabelas made it right. I would doubt that even as big as Cabelas is,that they would have a stock of double rifles sitting on a selves like a pile of Remington's or Savages.Maybe,an exchange was not possible at the time? I'm just sayin'......

Cabelas did step up and front the money for these,whereas other dealers turned their noses up at them. I know of several that have be sold and are being shot regularly.I will imagine that a fair number will turn up at the Vintage Cup next week....

Last edited by rifle; 09/21/10.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rifle,

Duly noted about Cabela's.

Also knowing their trade in poilcies/valutations, I bet part of the poster's ire toward the whole sdeal was the number of rifles his father had to come up to reach $3,000 if he traded them in through Cabelas.. blush

It would not surprize me if a lot of them showed up a V.C. events as shooters, because the ones I saw a SHOT looked very solid for what they cost. I was really shocked to see them in a large Co_OP style Eurpoean gunmaker booth. They had a rack full of them for folks to handle and examine at their leisure. i spent about a half hour there looking themover.

About the only thing that turned me off on the high grades was the glossy wood finish, but that can be fixed.

Last edited by jim62; 09/21/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A double for SIX GRAND? please direct me to where I can buy one or did you mean six grand per barrel? I'm sorry but you get what you pay for. Double rifles, real ones start at about twn grand and go up from there. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Come on America,

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have heard from a lot of associates who own the guns and talked to some very good double gun experts and I have heard only great things about these guns..

I know that Champlains and JJ as stated above gave the guns excellent reviews..That is pretty good reference anyway you cut it.

Bill Morrison told me that they are rave reviews going on over on Accurate Reloading about these guns, and they have some very knowledgable double gun folks over there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rifle, I didn't doubt the price for a Sabatti was accurate, just that you get what you pay for. Where are they made?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are made in Italy by Sabatti--a company that dates from the 1800s. They have primarily made shotguns in the past.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, guess I should have read the entire thread, if JJ from Champlin plus all of you guys that own one speak highly of it, maybe I need to eat some crow and go take a look at one before I open my yap! jorge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.