Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just curious if anyone here on the campfire has ever used a Benchmark barrel and also if they had the work done by them?

They are on my side of the country so it would be a little more convenient, plus it seems they have a pretty good rep on various other shooting forums but I don't see them mentioned much here on the campfire.

I'm hoping to build a faux KS Mountain rifle and have been thinking about giving them a try if they would be able to duplicate the KS contour. Supposed to be nice enough fellows to work with which is a plus since I'm not the most gun savy - I like stuff that shoots, I just don't always have the tech stuff down grin.

Plus I've made some costly mistakes in the past - learned from them and learned quite a bit from some here on the camfire, but still trying to avoid making as many as I can.

Anyway, any thoughts sure would be much appreciated.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had them build me several barrels. The quality is good and mine have shot decent. I'm not going to say they have shot any better than the Douglas or Lilja I have though. They can do about any taper you want. I have 2 Hill country tapers and a custom taper to fit a McMillian stock I had. I think they are best known for their 22 cal tubes. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Benchmark in 22 Rimfire. It shoots like a house of fire. I would definitely buy another one. I have heard that their centerfire barrels are just as good. I have talked with Ron (one of the owners) on the telephone a few times and he has always been a pleasure to deal with. I don't know much about their smithing work, as I have a guy here in Texas that is the cat's meow. Hope this helps.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I have had them build me several barrels. The quality is good and mine have shot decent. I'm not going to say they have shot any better than the Douglas or Lilja I have though. They can do about any taper you want. I have 2 Hill country tapers and a custom taper to fit a McMillian stock I had. I think they are best known for their 22 cal tubes. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

ddj

Thanks for the info - I may PM you later with some additional questions - just wondering what a Hill Country taper is like??

"Team 7MM-08"
K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just running my first Benchmark through the paces now... in a Greybull stock no less!

It's a sendero contour 7RM and I've just started load development. Looks like it's going to be a short process - 168 VLD's shot in the .2's two nights ago at the range.

Also have a friend with Benchmarks on a 7RM and 243AI. Both those rifles shoot incredibly well. I'd say give one a try!

Kevin

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very nice guys to deal with. I know a few guys on Sniper's Hide that sing their praises, both for the barrels and smith work.

Their 6mm barrels seem popular.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good to know - I'm guessing they can probably build a pretty decent .257 barrel then.

"Team 7MM-08"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my barrels is a .257 that Rick Beginski built a 257 Roberts for me.

I have spent time with Ron and the boys. Good guys all around.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Sendero contour as well in .280 AI that Hill Country rebarreled for me. I had not heard of Benchmeark prior too that but would use them again for sure. The gun is very accurate and has proven itself many times.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hill Country in Texas uses Benchmark for their barrels or at least used to.

ddj

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a couple, installed by Hazer at Bison Barrels in Gillette WY. One in a 7 rem mag, shot a 1.37" 3 shot group at 500yds. Another 3 shot group at 600 yds was 1.45". Second gun is a .243 ackley. Shot two groups at 300 yds. First was .555" and second was a .362" both 3 shot groups. I highly recommend Hazer, for both quality work and price.

I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a lot of different barrels and I have never had to send back a Benchmark.

They don�t seem to have the problem some guys do with lube breakdown and then galling the button.

If you have a gun built with a Benchmark and it does not shoot the gunsmith screwed up the chamber.

About � of the shots in our loop video were with Benchmark tubes. Don�t tell anyone because it�s a secret.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive built 3 rifles using benchmaark barrels they all cut good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i had ron and the crew build my 280ai.
we talked what i wanted to do with the rifle and selected a contour with his advice.
sent off the rifle and a beautiful piece of work came back.

they did the whole thing, from making the barrel to blueprinting the action, to the pinned lug, and test fired it and sent a stoney point oal made casing.

next rebarreling that get donw, it goes to them.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well sounds like they might be somebody I need to talk with. Appreciate everyone's input. Nice rig by the way splattermatic, looks great.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you.
here's another in a custom walnut stock, that is still in ak, getting some more work done to it.
not a great pic, but...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used their stainless # 2 for a .270 Winchester on a M70, the work was done by our own forum's "Redneck". I am very pleased it is the most accurate .270 I have had.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe a former member of this site used one to shoot some pretty small 1000 yard groups and aggregates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oregonmuley,

I have two. A Rem 700 Ron barreled and chambered 264 Win Mag bedded into a rem classic stock. And a CZ model 3(Montana rifle barreled action that CZ put in a stock and sold as a model 3) that would not shoot groups smaller than 6 inches. After much effort and time on my part Ron blue printed the action and rebarreled it (it was and is a 300 WSM) both rifles shoot anything I have tried in them well, most well under an inch, nothing that I have tried have gone over an inch. I don't think you could go wrong.

8mmwapiti

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are right down the freeway from me. Good guys and good products. Let me know if your interested and I can give you a little more inside info.

**Premium AR500 Steel targets for a great cause!!! Rounds, Squares, IPSC, coyotes, ETC.

****Check out jcsteeltargets.com****

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.