Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4450599 09/26/10
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any opinions on the Walther .380? Today my wife saw one she liked.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
old design, heavy for what it is, known biter of the web between thumb and forefinger.... a Kahr PM9 is a better choice or the new Kahr 380.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the PPK/s. However, I have to agree that you could find a better option for defense (more powerful cartridge in same size/weight, or more compact/lighter .380)
As always, IMHO.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmyp
old design, heavy for what it is, known biter of the web between thumb and forefinger.... a Kahr PM9 is a better choice or the new Kahr 380.

Agreed and they are ammo fussy and have been known to jam with no particular reason. I would have to pass, in fact if given one I would sell or trade it ASAP.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My wifes little pink P22 has the backaswards safety which is confusing because it opposite her Beretta. FWIW

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my stainless PPK.....they take a while to break in and loosen up, and have a lot of sharp edges, but it will go in the pocket of my shorts easily, and it's easy to hit with for a pocket pistol.

it is a little old fashioned and retro....you can get a plastic nine that's no bigger.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Owned a PP for many years. Never jammed, very accurate, good ergonomics. Double action trigger pull too heavy.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had a stainless Interarms Walther PPK in .380 for about 25years. The little gun has worked like a champ and would be one of the last guns to go if I had to sell out.

Carried it for many years in an ankle holster while on duty and iwb off duty at times and killed quite a few ground hogs, copperheads, skunks etc with it as it is suprisingly accurate.

Now with that being said I've heard of many not being totally reliable and there are probably better options out there today.
The Sig 239 in 9mm is just slightly larger, holds two more rounds in a better caliber and won't bite your hand and have sharp edges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For all the downsides to the PPK, its still a PPK and is worth buying for that alone! Got to be a real German one though and not a "clone"....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Ringman
Any opinions on the Walther .380? Today my wife saw one she liked.

The Walther PK?

Love it!
Bought one for my wife for her birthday
Several reasons I chose it, over others.
Weight, poly frame makes it light
sights, real adjustable sights ( not deep conceal friendly but not bad and she will pack it in a custom handbag )

cocking ease, several 380s she could hardly rack the slide.

shooting! It hits everything.
Never been ammo critical. We've shot it weekly ( at least ) since April. And it digests anything. And hits with it

I can hold 2 " groups at 25' all day
she at 18-20 and getting better

Cons:
safety. It has a non -decocking , real safety
Not a bad thing as long as you train to sweep it off!

to lock back the side when empty, one must drop the mag before it will stay open.
It stays after the last ( of eight ) shots.

Barrel wear, the outside of the tube is wearing. But we are shootin the thing a LOT!

Maybe Santa will bring her a new pipe.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The PPK series is a bit heavy due to all steel construction. They tend to point well and are comfortable in a smaller hand. As stated above, they are notorious for hammer bite. When I had one, I shed more blood when shooting it than anything I hit with it ever did. As a blowback design, the recoil spring is heavy and it takes some muscle to rack the slide fully. Also, the DA trigger pull is very heavy and the recoil is rather snappy (again due to the blowback design)..

Our department issued the PPK/S to investigators for awhile back in the late 80's and about 10% of our guns had functioning problems. This was before S&W was involved in their manufacture, so I don't know how the latest guns are. Ours worked better, on average, with hardball than the HP's available at the time (we issued Win Silvertip 85 gr. HP's as I recall).

My opinion is that your wife will like it less after she shoots it than she does looking at it in the gun store.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/26/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She will like it less when she tries to rack the slide. Most woman can't do it at all. As stated by others, there are lots of immensly better options out there these days. Too big and heavy for the minimal power offered and the two I have had would only feed FMJ round nosed bullets.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Mauser Hsc is very similar in design to the PPK. I had one many years ago, and it ran fine, but I had no real use for it. The German guns, the Hsc and PP variants are cool, but generally not trouble free.

The Kahrs have pretty good buzz going for them. There are plastic framed .380's, also compact 9mm's in both stainless and plastic frame.

Don't forget the 1911 platform. Colt now has a 9mm in the Defender, if a .45 is too intimidating for her.

Lots of places have guns to rent, and a test run is wise with something intended for serious social purposes.

On autos where women have trouble racking the slides, teach them to keep both arms straight and turn their shoulders to pull the slide back. This trick has proven helpful, with the 3 women I have taught to shoot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1

If she or ANYONE either fairly weak or who has arthiritus in their hands tries to rack the slide on a Walther .380 (mine was a PPK/S)......well, it likely just won't happen.

Sold mine many years ago as I had jammin' problems as well. One of the very few sales that I've never regretted and perhaps at the top of that short list.

Last edited by magnumb; 09/27/10.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by magnumb
+1

If she or ANYONE either fairly weak or who has arthiritus in their hands tries to rack the slide on a Walther .380 (mine was a PPK/S)......well, it likely just won't happen.

Sold mine many years ago as I had jammin' problems as well. One of the very few sales that I've never regretted and perhaps at the top of that short list.

Try a new PK,
problem solved.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the nudge, but I won't go there again....wink.

Whether 100% reliable and smooth as butter, I've moved on and I don't often look back. Perhaps my loss, but the "old dog, new tricks" thing applies here...with me anyway.

Enjoy yours, however. So many choices and for our own reasons is indeed a privilege.

Best to you.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
...it is a little old fashioned and retro....you can get a plastic nine that's no bigger.

Read that as - you can get a plastic .380 that is smaller, lighter, doesn't kick as much, and is far more reliable (K-T P3AT).

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you like .380s, try finding a Remington 51.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
She will like it less when she tries to rack the slide. Most woman can't do it at all. As stated by others, there are lots of immensly better options out there these days. Too big and heavy for the minimal power offered and the two I have had would only feed FMJ round nosed bullets.

Had 10-15 women try my PPK/S I think one actually managed to rack the slide! The rest are too weak in the hands.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You boys are not being nice. I will check to see if Sue can work it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.