-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Atheism: The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Makes perfect sense.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a degree in theology, and I think this said it best. Theology classes were required there. In the old testament class, the professor essentially said this on the first day, and I think it's one of the smartest things I've ever heard. I'm agnostic myself (I always say I'm an atheist with no balls).
"This is a class on the bible. A lot of you in here want to argue with me. I don't care what religion you are, if you think stoned nomads wrote this book, or it is the direct word of God. I want to agree on some common ground. This book has been around a long time with a lot of people wanting to suppress it. They've all failed. No matter what your beliefs are, I think we can all agree that it must say something about the human condition to withstand all that."
I don't think anyone can really argue with that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It never ceases to amaze me why a man will devote his live to something he doesn't believe in. You'd think that some small truth would sink into his head, but apparently it hasn't. Jesus said that Christianity is total foolishness to those who don't accept it so why would he spend his life teaching what he calls foolishness? Simply amazing. Sad, but amazing.

The Bible wasn't written to describe the human condition or how to have a good life. It was written to bring us into the eternal presence of God. If you miss that part, it's all nonsense.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Prayers sent for all the Christ believers as you are all doomed to a life in hell. God save your sorrowful souls and it pains me to see so many headed down the road of eternal damnation.

Godspeed

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Humm, got 93% on the test. Miss the one on prayer in the public schools.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It never ceases to amaze me why a man will devote his live to something he doesn't believe in. You'd think that some small truth would sink into his head, but apparently it hasn't. Jesus said that Christianity is total foolishness to those who don't accept it so why would he spend his life teaching what he calls foolishness? Simply amazing. Sad, but amazing.

The Bible wasn't written to describe the human condition or how to have a good life. It was written to bring us into the eternal presence of God. If you miss that part, it's all nonsense.

He was a devout Christian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got 14/15, also missed the one on Nirvana, have to admit the one on the first Great Awakening was deductive, I knew it wasn't Graham, and the correct name sounded more "18th century".

It's hard to separate what you've read, from what you've heard, from what you've been told.

I would guess (GUESS) that the results of the test track fairly closely to level of general education, or broad reading.

All of the questions seemed fairly general, and some were from an historical perspective. Clearly, I would expect atheists to do less well on a Christian-centric test, than they did on this broader test.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Interesting topic. I have found that many athiest's I've talked to have a surprisingly good knoweldge of the various more established religions. Ican understand why people are athiest's, I can also understand why people are religious. Neither are necessarily foolish or ignorant, usually it's just a matter of different circumstances and life experiences leading them down a certain path. I've been up and down this road enough times my self to understand the confusion and frustration involved in trying to piece together exactly what the "truth" is. At this point in time I'd have to describe myself mostly as a Diest, in that I believe in God but don't beleive any one religion has all the answers. I think there is much to be learned in the Bible and also from the Buhddist's,as well many others. Arguing about it is largely a waste of time,as no one is likely to change their mind due to your arguments. Believe what yuo will,just realize that other people will think your beliefs just as rediculous as you find theirs. Chances are your both right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once was lost and blind, but I have been found and can see....

I believe in humbleness and humility through the preached word, being that the preached word allows us to think about our ways and feel conviction of our self rightious ways, which gives us the chance on our own part to be a better person.

The straight knowledge of "only" the word can lead to pompousness and ignorance of the word itself being judged and edited by our own opinions.

The book of 1st corinthians explains alot about god himself if the non believers would care to read.

I personally believe in GOD, Jesus, and "all" of the rest of the bible and nothing else, although I do give respect to everybody elses religion and their right to practice it.

Being able to respect all other religions and their right to practice it comes directly from the selflessness of our forefathers who founded this country not solely but mostly on the basis of the bible itself.

Unfortunately it disturbs me seeing what our country is slowly becoming while pushing the bible and god further and further away...........

---This was not intended to offend just offer my view---

Last edited by PAMac; 09/28/10.

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In related news after much reading on the subject, childless couples know more about the emotional ups and downs than real parents.

and this just in, folks that don't hunt but have read about it extensively make far better hunters than folks that feed their families by hunting.

don't buy a bike, just study up on it

it's just like the real thing. YMMV

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Top scores? I didn't now there was going to be a test.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ajb05854
I have a degree in theology, and I think this said it best. Theology classes were required there. In the old testament class, the professor essentially said this on the first day, and I think it's one of the smartest things I've ever heard. I'm agnostic myself (I always say I'm an atheist with no balls).
"This is a class on the bible. A lot of you in here want to argue with me. I don't care what religion you are, if you think stoned nomads wrote this book, or it is the direct word of God. I want to agree on some common ground. This book has been around a long time with a lot of people wanting to suppress it. They've all failed. No matter what your beliefs are, I think we can all agree that it must say something about the human condition to withstand all that."
I don't think anyone can really argue with that.

Well said.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I see no more proof of God than I see proof of fairies, gremlins or leprechauns.

Are you open to a belief in fairies, gremlins or leprechauns?

If you are not - you understand my thinking.

It is not something you "see" or are taught, it is an experience that unless you have experienced, one cannot comprehend, nor do I believe can be completely explained.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
14 out of 15. For some reason I thought Ramadan was a Jewish thing.

As far as religious questions go, they were pretty dang easy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ajb05854

He was a devout Christian.

Ok. I carefully reread it and find that I missed that. I thought he was agnostic.
However, I have numerous time listened to ministers who don't believe the Bible. One classic example is a guy who we met at a bed and breakfast last year. He said he was the bishop in charge of the Episcopal church in Idaho. He was at the B&B shacking up with some whore and he freely admitted it. I've seen what he's done in the past to promote abortion and homosexuality. How can he hold his so called Christian office when he doesn't believe a word of it?

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Every day, I am aware of the fact I may die - today. I am literally betting my "eternal life" on the fact that there is no god, and no life after I die. My three beautiful church-going daughters are exposed to my own beliefs about religion, faith, science, morality and plain old fatherly advice every day.We often talk about topics as deep and important as this. I lovingly and patiently answer all of their questions about God, gods, Christianity and other faiths as every parent should do with his or her children.

If they ever do move fully over to my beliefs - from Christianity (as I did) - I guess you could say I will have bet their lives (or future lives - to those who believe in such a thing) on my advice.

So - in answer to the question on whether I would I do it?

I already have.

My grown son and I have similar beliefs now. I expect my daughters will probably (or at least two out of my three daughters - if I were to lay odds on it) will probably end up with beliefs similar to mine - in time.

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. (Matt 18:6 ESV)

He's talking about you, BCBrian

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It just nice to read about studies showing what I have learned and suspected through the years.

Most atheists I know - have not arrived at that position easily - or out of ignorance. For most - it seems to be the product of a lot of research, investigation, thought and soul-searching.

I intended to offend no one. Just wanted to dispel thoughts some might have in regards to atheists being ignorant.

Good post, Brian.

Athiests and agnostics usually get there via rationality. It's not an easy thing to be in this society; it'd be easier to just herd up and go to church like a good little boy.

Another oft-misunderstood thing is that "we" are at least sometimes very questing, spiritual people who investigated the cookie-cutter major religions and found them to be lacking. That doesn't imply a lack of spirituality or even faith; it does imply an inability to choke down completely fanciful fairy tales from thousands of years ago as gospel.

Good post.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Fairly generic questions on historical generalities more than specific religion tenets taught in sunday school or saturday school, or whatever. Stuff you would learn in regular school as byproducts of history, or just hear in life's classroom.

I haven't had any formal learning in over 30 years and got 14 of 15 correct, didn't know friday was the start of jewish sabbath, thought it was saturday only. Guessed right on the Edwards question.

Big deal.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Interesting topic. I have found that many athiest's I've talked to have a surprisingly good knoweldge of the various more established religions. Ican understand why people are athiest's, I can also understand why people are religious. Neither are necessarily foolish or ignorant, usually it's just a matter of different circumstances and life experiences leading them down a certain path. I've been up and down this road enough times my self to understand the confusion and frustration involved in trying to piece together exactly what the "truth" is. At this point in time I'd have to describe myself mostly as a Diest, in that I believe in God but don't beleive any one religion has all the answers. I think there is much to be learned in the Bible and also from the Buhddist's,as well many others. Arguing about it is largely a waste of time,as no one is likely to change their mind due to your arguments. Believe what yuo will,just realize that other people will think your beliefs just as rediculous as you find theirs. Chances are your both right.

They have no understanding whatever of the Bible. They've entirely missed it. It's a covenant between God and man that enables men to spend eternity with God. If the athiests had a good understanding of it, they'd be screaming to join it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xxclaro

They have no understanding whatever of the Bible. They've entirely missed it. It's a covenant between God and man that enables men to spend eternity with God. If the athiests had a good understanding of it, they'd be screaming to join it.

Put very well!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 52 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,041
Posts18,521,105
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.