-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got this last night and thought I would post a couple of pictures for those who are interested in how it looks on a Ruger pistol.

Haven't gotten to the range with this or the Fastfire on my Marlin yet (hopefully the rain will stay away this weekend) but have been shooting the hell out of doorknobs, faucets and stuff in the kitchen and living room.

On the handgun, I think open sights are preferable. The window of this at arm's length is sort of small and you have to learn to bring up the pistol properly to view the dot. It's not quite as fast as on the rifle but with familiarity I believe it will get that way.

The main advantage is for you guys who, like me, just can't get that sharp front sight focus like you used to. You don't need glasses for this one, at least if your far vision is okay, and you don't have to worry about aligning sights. Just look at the target, bring up the sight and squeeze. That is a really big deal to me and is well worth the money.

It looks a bit bulky but is very lightweight. To mount it you drive out the rear sight. This comes with a small dovetail block with two threaded holes. The block is a loose slip fit in the receiver dovetail, no whacking with a pin necessary. The base plate is concave to fit over the convex receiver, two screws go through the sight and snug up into the dovetail block while the base plate hugs the receiver. The whole installation is very easy and feels pretty solid.

It's also kind of a pain to holster. Bought a Bianchi Accumold at the same time, the sight extends just far enough forward to not allow the pistol to be fully holstered. But, you can holster it and adjust the retaining strap to hold it so until I find something better the holster is definitely usable.

(BTW, you don't need to open the attachments, they are the same pictures shown. I attach pictures here then link straight to them.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Update on sighting this in. This was a bit of a "by guess and by golly" type of thing. Sort of like a Leupold with friction adjustments but with an added wrinkle.

There are two screws for elevation and windage, but no reference points on the sight itself. This comes with a plastic disk with index marks around the outside and a screwdriver that fits through a hole in the middle of the disk. In theory you're supposed to reference the index marks to some fixed point like the outside edge of the sight to get your MOA adjustments.

In practice I found the screwdriver blade had enough slop in the fit to teh slot that you could move it one or two index marks either way and the adjusting screws themselves wouldn't have moved. But you can't see the screw since the view is blocked by the opaque disk. Burris should make this out of clear plastic with white hash marks, that would work better I think. Or just mold in 8 little tick marks around each adjustment screw like on adjustable rear sights. Anything to use as a set reference would be an improvement.

After playing with it a while and seeing how much 3 or 4 hash marks moved the screw slot, I finally took the disk off and just watched the screws move to estimate my POI shift and get it zeroed in. That actually worked pretty well.

Also, you have to loosen two lock screws before turning the elevation and windage screws and it seemed to me, though I can't really prove it, that locking these down moved the POI slightly. So you have to unlock the set screws, move the adjustment screws, lock down the set screws and see where the bullets impact.

It's not as hard as it seems, I just had to figure out the idiosyncracies of this thing and it took about 8 three shot groups to get it sighted in properly.

Zeroed it dead on at 50 yards after getting it about 1/2 inch high at 25 and proceeded to perforate a paper plate at that range.

Now, after bitching about the sight in, I have to say that I really like the sight itself. Just put it on the target and fire. Easy peasy. This thing is going make plinking a lot more fun again. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Ruger MK II678GC on which I have mounted an Ultradot LT, which is very similar to the Burris Fastfire. The MK II is so accurate it is really fun to play with the holosight, but it is a bit of a pain to sight in.

Attached Images
IMG_1853.JPG (29.06 KB, 8718 downloads)
Last edited by TomC321; 02/09/10.
L
L
I am curious if you have found a suitable holster for your Ruger with the Fastfire II on it. I am pretty excited to get this sight, but I want to be able to holster it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, I have just stayed with the Bianchi. The pistol doesn't slide in all the way like it would without the sight, but the difference is only maybe 1/4" or 1/2" so it still sits securely in the holster.

IC B2

L
L
With the sight holding the weight of the pistol that 1/2 inch or so, notice any impact on the sight holding a zero? I figure this would be a fun pistol to carry while quail hunting to also hunt rabbits with. Thanks for your info. Pistol set-up looks great!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.