Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Man, listening to you guys talk about scrounging for ammunition back in the day is hurting me. I've always been kind of poor, but I never had it that bad. I'm 48 years old, so I didn't have the displeasure of living through the depression. I began reloading when I was 17 and always had ammunition, although there was a period of time when I scavenged lead from the range to melt down and recast into bullets. You guys make me realize how good I've had it.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the 38-90 Belted Bottleneck Express

Fixed that one for ya... laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin Dan, ol Doc is figuring to get one ot the Williams fp's for his number one, and then we're going to load up some of those express rounds for it, and see if we've got enough elevation to reach the 800 yd line. If it works then he's going to take it to shoot the Quigley this year.
Should be a hoot either way. That much bp really whipps those 255's out the barrel.
Going to try a batch of these 335's I've got cast up for the 38-55 and see how that #1 likesem. Might even dig the Chrony out to have a speed check.

Last edited by Ranch13; 10/04/10.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Since I shoot mainly BPCRs, about 15 years ago, I tried straight BP in a Savage 340 bolt gun in 30 WCF with lead bullets. Didn�t work too well as the bore fouled horribly, even with a very soft BP type lube.

Now maybe a different lube and/or larger and more compressed charge of FFFG would have done the trick, but I �dunno�.

I think if you wanted to try BP in a 30 WCF, I would recommend a Duplex load. That will give a �clean burn� to powder charge and greatly alleviate the need to wash the cases.

At one time, I heard of a gentleman who had a .30-30 Straight -- 30 WCF blown out to a straight case -- and it was said that he did quite well with it. But I never heard if he loaded with straight BP and what granulation was or if he loaded a Duplex charge.

As an aside, here�s what I found via Google http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?111624-32-Winchester-Special-with-Black-Powder

"The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge was first listed in Winchester catalogues beginning in 1903, the first rifles and ammunition having been produced in late 1902.

"Here's what Winchester's Catalogue No. 70, dated March, 1903, had to say about the .32 Winchester Special Cartridge:
.32 Winchester Special Caliber.
For Smokeless Or Black Powder.

"We have adapted the popular Winchester Model 1894 rifle to handle the new .32 Winchester Special Cartridge, and are prepared to furnish it in solid frame or take-down style with 26 inch round, octagon, or half-octagon nickel steel barrels with full or half magazines. Rifles for the .32 Winchester Special Cartridge are fitted with a new and specially designed rear sight, which is graduated for either Smokeless or Black powder cartridges. All extras furnished on .30 W. C. F. or .38-55 caliber Model 1894 rifles can be furnished for this gun except extra light weight barrels. Model 1894 .32-40 caliber rifles will not handle the .32 Winchester Special Cartridge, and .30 Winchester caliber rifles cannot be bored up to do so.

"The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge, which we have just perfected, is offered to meet the demand of many sportsmen for a Smokeless powder cartridge of larger caliber than the .30 Winchester and yet not so powerful as the .30 U. S. Army, and which could be reloaded with black powder and give satisfactory results. The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge meets all these requirements. Loaded with Smokeless powder and a 170 grain bullet, it has a muzzle velocity of 2,112 foot seconds, thereby generating a muzzle energy of 1,683 foot pounds. At the standard testing distance of 15 feet from the muzzle, this cartridge, with a full metal patched bullet, will give a penetration of 37, 7/8 inch pine boards. Its trajectory is as follows:

100 yards Trajectory. Height at 50 yards, 1.17 inches.
200 yards Trajectory. Height at 100 yards, 5.60 inches.
300 yards Trajectory. Height at 150 yards, 15.26 inches.

"From these figures it will be readily seen that the advantages of this cartridge are its great striking energy, penetration, high velocity and consequent flat trajectory.

"With a charge of 40 grains of black powder, the .32 Winchester Special develops a velocity of 1,385 foot seconds, which makes it a powerful black powder cartridge. In loading or reloading the .32 Winchester Special with black powder the Winchester No. 5 ½ primer should be used.

"We load this cartridge with Smokeless powder only, but are prepared to furnish primed shells, full metal patched, metal patched soft pointed, or plain lead bullets, and reloading tools, for loading black powder only. We do not advise hand loading or reloading of this cartridge with Smokeless powder by individuals.

"Beginning in March, 1903, and continuing thru June, 1910, Winchester catalogues recommended loading the .32 Winchester Special Cartridge with 40 grains of any of the following powders:
American Powder Mills' "Rifle Cartridge No.2", or "Rifle Cartridge No.3";
Hazard Powder Company's "Kentucky Rifle F.G.";
E. I. DuPont de Nemours & Company's "DuPont Rifle F.G.";
Laflin & Rand Powder Company's "Orange Extra F.G."
Comparison with a Hazard Powder Company advertisement c.1903 indicates that "Kentucky Rifle F.G." was approximately equivalent in granulation to today's GOEX FFg.

"Again, beginning in March, 1903, and continuing thru March, 1908, Winchester even published velocity, energy, and trajectory figures for the .32 Winchester Special Cartridge loaded with both Smokeless AND Black powder, even though the cartridge was only available from the factory with Smokeless."

Last edited by Ray Newman; 10/04/10.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,633
Posts18,512,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.