Print Thread
Hop To
M
mikem Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Considering a magazine tube swivel mount for my 1886 light weight 45/70. The type that can be slipped over and fastened on, no drilling the magazine tube. My Model 71 has a magazine tube swivel mount like that, but I have no clue on the manufacturer of the mount, has been on there a long time).

Uncle Mike's has a few magazine tube mounts swivels like this, if I can locate the correct size. Are there any other manufacturers to consider?

Anyone using one of these? Or other options?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by mikem; 03/07/05.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Williams Gunsight Co.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a Mike out and measure the diameter and then get the one that fits the closest. The only problem with these is that the way they are set up is that to get them tight enough they have a tendency to strip out the allen screw that does the tightening. Go easy with it when you are putting it on. If you can find the old style that has a set screw for locking it up against the tube, those have less tendency to slip under recoil or handling. Ryan

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mikem: I preferred to mount mine on the barrel about 4 inches in front of the magazine of my 86ELR. Determine where it fits on the barrel or magazine to your liking and clean that area of metal with acetone, also the band halves. Put a light coat of Marine Tex (gray) on the band halves and cinch it up. Clean any excess with acetone and let it set. I've done several lever guns and a couple of bolt guns this way and a couple of them are quite heavy rifles. There has been no slippage or twisting of the band on any of them.

The Marine Tex gray is quite dark , more like charcoal and will not show if you clean the edges well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mike, I have a Browning SRC that I put a bbl band on the magazine tube. The weight of the rifle was too much for the mag tube and it started moving. I then drilled an tapped the foreend band and put a swivel stud in it. Watch your mag tube if you use one.

IC B2

M
M
I prefer drilling and tapping the forend cap or barrel band, depending on what the particular gun has. Makes a cleaner instalation, and looks more original to the lever rifles.

If drilling the barrel (forend) band, I drill through and inlet the knurled nut that comes with the metal swivel studs, into the wood under the band, making for more thread for the stud than just the band. The nut is covered by the band.

I've used the magazine band type mounts, but they just didn't look right, and didn't seem as strong as a stud well mounted in the band or forend cap.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,951
Posts18,519,264
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.