-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seldom get over 75 mph but once I did turn the old mare lose heading back to the barn. It was on a long straight a way one afternoon with no traffic in sight. I got my truck up to 115 mph, it had more but I didn't need to see it on the odometer. A V-10 F-350 Ford.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by balltownbob
My 08 Dmax tops out at 98 mph...

My Banks tuner will not change the factory code....other tuners will....I gave up on increasing the top end and just use the 480 rear wheel ponies to get to 98 quicker when I feel the urge....it also handles fine at 98......in a straight line on the Interstate anyway... grin

For absolute best power and driveability nothing compares with EFI Live. Definitely no speed limiter.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
EFI Live's customer service has to be better than Banks'....half hour hold times on the phone are routine. I have the PDA-controlled tuner and PDAs are now dinosaurs as everyone knows....battery swelled in mine making it inoperable. Finally got to the right Banks tech who told me to remove the battery.....now I have to unplug the PDA and plug it back in to get it to work....

No more Banks here....although I do like their exhaust system....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well - I have had a '99 Silverado, 2000 Silverado, 2002 Avalanche and 2009 Avalanche and none of them would go over 99 MPH with a 5.3 engine.

It all has to do with the government not wanting people to go fast and the new car dealers wanting to sell automobiles with 120 mph speedometers in them.

Just for kicks and giggles the other day I took the Impala down a long hill and wound her out and at 107 the odometer said that it had hit the governed speed and the engine would rev faster - but the car would not go any faster. I got 110 out of it in neutral.

A Pontiac GXP I have, the heads up display shuts down at 110 in drive and the speedometer in manual I have had up to 165 MPH.
Now that is a 5.3 L all aluminum engine and a car that was built for speed. But I believe that I could easily get 180 out of it if it had a bigger fuel injection system - because the engine was no where near being at red line.

Most transmissions will shift back into 3rd gear in WOT = wide open throttle and will not allow you to go past the red line.
It takes a manual kit or a transmission reprogram to allow the transmission to stay in high gear to get maximum speed out of one of these newer vehicles. The re programmer at $350 for a good one, is not worth it in my opinion, and I am better off not going over 100 MPH. The high risk insurance and points on my license just isn't worth the aggravation anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
Well - I have had a '99 Silverado, 2000 Silverado, 2002 Avalanche and 2009 Avalanche and none of them would go over 99 MPH with a 5.3 engine.

It all has to do with the government not wanting people to go fast and the new car dealers wanting to sell automobiles with 120 mph speedometers in them.

Just for kicks and giggles the other day I took the Impala down a long hill and wound her out and at 107 the odometer said that it had hit the governed speed and the engine would rev faster - but the car would not go any faster. I got 110 out of it in neutral.

A Pontiac GXP I have, the heads up display shuts down at 110 in drive and the speedometer in manual I have had up to 165 MPH.
Now that is a 5.3 L all aluminum engine and a car that was built for speed. But I believe that I could easily get 180 out of it if it had a bigger fuel injection system - because the engine was no where near being at red line.

Most transmissions will shift back into 3rd gear in WOT = wide open throttle and will not allow you to go past the red line.
It takes a manual kit or a transmission reprogram to allow the transmission to stay in high gear to get maximum speed out of one of these newer vehicles. The re programmer at $350 for a good one, is not worth it in my opinion, and I am better off not going over 100 MPH. The high risk insurance and points on my license just isn't worth the aggravation anymore.

There is so much wrong with this post that I'm flabbergasted...............

Was that 110mph in neutral down a mineshaft?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's nothing special about a Banks tuner. Despite the big claims they don't make a lot of power, they're very average. Investigate EFI and you'll see it's completely different from anything else.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Rockton Mountain - highest point east of the Mississippi river on Interstate 80.

http://www.trails.com/topomap.aspx?trailid=BGN101-016

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (358WCF, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,207
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.