Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The wife and I shot these 2 Saturday night.
I can't sell hides when she's puttin holes in like this !
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

crazy crazy
grin

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will NEVER release one... No matter how bigga hole they cut in a hide..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Seems a little excessive.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk

Plus one there... a few bad experiences with mechanicals and never again. Congrats on teh kill though!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yea ,
I'm not sure what's up with the mega hole. We've killed 10 deer or so with Rage 3 blade and never had anything like this.

Dead is dead ! grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Good for you. grin

What's your fav head ?

I tried some Slick Tricks this fall for the first time. Shot a doe ,they work good aswell.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looks like something got to it before you did....you sure a critter did not eat a little deer before you got there.

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Looks like something got to it before you did....you sure a critter did not eat a little deer before you got there.

We went back the next day to find the arrow. We walked the blood all the way to the end. Just blood and hair all the way ,lots on impact.
No sign of critters at the deer or on it. crazy

Thanks

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I shot a black bear broadside with one about 1 month ago. Wow what a hole and blood trail. He only made it 38 yards at a full run before he tipped over.He was a nice 311 lb chocolate.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Your pictures just came up. Something doesnt seem right about that hole. Could you pull it all the way together. Looks like a 5 inch+ hole and some stuff is missing not just cut.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes it will pull together. The deer laid less than one hour before found.

Nice job on the bear !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slick Triks all the way...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would also say that judging by the size of the hole, there might have been a lack of penetration????

Just seems excessive unless the head stopped right there and chewed a hole as he ran..

Could be totally off-base, but thats what it looks like..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They work when everything goes as planned. But how often is that? Hit that shoulder and you would have a totally different opinion. would you bet your life on a rage? I wouldn't thats why I shoot COC.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still have to try STs... I have shot Muzzy without an issue, but what I do shoot without fail is Zwickey Deltas, and Rothaar Snuffer 200s.... No doubt with them. Game rarely goes far...

Mechanical... I've had failure to penetrate.... slap the side of the buck on an angle and shave hair..... I've had them open and almost cut a fox in half, but then I"ve had them fail to open twice.... once I screwed up and the doe ducked... and spined her with the blades shut.... the other was a double lung buck with the blades shut that bled almost nothing and took a multi hour... IE from noon to dark grid search to find... and that only by persistance...

Nope, no more for me. Just like ballistic tips.... got burned by them early on... don't want to ever try them again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I would also say that judging by the size of the hole, there might have been a lack of penetration????

Just seems excessive unless the head stopped right there and chewed a hole as he ran..

Could be totally off-base, but thats what it looks like..

Arrow went through ribs and meat on the other shoulder stopped at the hide. Bow is 50# @ 26".

Last edited by shotgun4fur; 10/19/10.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
They work when everything goes as planned. But how often is that? Hit that shoulder and you would have a totally different opinion. would you bet your life on a rage? I wouldn't thats why I shoot COC.

Every head works when the are put in the right spot.

Don't care what head the wife is shooting,if she gets shoulder ,she gets no deer.

There are better heads out there,but Yes I would trust my life to a Rage 3 blade. Then again I'm running 70# @ 30" so shoulders are no big deal. After a few more trial deer on STs ,I may switch over all the way.

Shoot what you will. Nothings perfect in the bow hunting world.

Good luck to all.
Thanks.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The 5 inches of broken carbon bow shaft and unopened Rage broadhead,which remained inside a recently rifle shot 305 scoring elk bull for two years,suggests that the K.I.S.S principle still remain my path.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was leery this year switching to the 3 blade rage. I have shot two now with it and have no complaints. One nice 8pt and one doe. I think the key is to stay away from major bone and you will be good.

I think that massive hole is the result of the leg being forward and the muscle being in tension as the blade passed through. I could be wrong though.

Nice deer either way.

Ryan

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shotgun4fur
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Every head works when the are put in the right spot.

Don't care what head the wife is shooting,if she gets shoulder ,she gets no deer.

There are better heads out there,but Yes I would trust my life to a Rage 3 blade. Then again I'm running 70# @ 30" so shoulders are no big deal. After a few more trial deer on STs ,I may switch over all the way.

Shoot what you will. Nothings perfect in the bow hunting world.

Good luck to all.
Thanks.

I have hit shoulder with a 48lbs long bow with a slicktrick and that deer dropped after about a 90 yard run. I doubt highly the same would have happened if I were using a rage. I would never trust my life with a rage say hunting cape buffalo or even brownies. But if you feel comfortable with it then run with it. I am willing to bet you are in the very minority on that.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 9 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,434
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.