Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't used Montecs but one time. Worked fine then.

Deltas and Snuffers are usually what you'll find hanging on the end of my arrows if I need good penetration on a large hog etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My buddies are useing the rages, and I have seen there kills, but i will stick to my Slick Tricks! lost a buck one time useing a mech. head never again!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The simply fact that you have to rely on something mechanical to deploy blades is what gets me. Its mechanical... that means at some point it fails to work.

How do you go wrong with heads that already have the blades "deployed"? You don't.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmmmm......

I am not sure i should even add to this, BUT......

I am on both sides of the fence. I shot 125 gr. muzzy for years and years. Shot MANY of deer with them. I lost 1 buck that was hit near perfect, and i cow elks that i shot just a lil low and fwd. But i didnt lose teh faith in 125g muzzy's....alot came into play. Maybe the blade was not scapel sharp or i was just that fraction of an inch out of a vital hit.

I agree with the KISS theory!! BUT......i did get bite by the RAGE MARKETING.

And so i have tired them, and wow. They do what they say and even a couple friends have tried them and are impress with penetration and would channel. A mature buck i shot last yr was POOOOORLY hit (my fault), and it only went 35 yds with an increadle wound channel with a 2-blade Rage. WOW. I was thankful for alllll the diameter on THAT hit.

There is a place for both. Common sense will prevail. I love the muzzy, kinda sold on the Montec's as well....and well, if i am shooting a mechanical, it is a 2-blade Rage. Have expereience and seen enuf shots on anmials (even poor hits) and the animals just dont travel far.
WORD TO THE WISE:......since they are mechanical, things do move. EVREYTIME you nock a Rage check the head and make sure the baldes are SET!!!! Bad things happen if not and this was advised to me and am thankful for it.

Rages are NOT a "stalk and hunt" broadhead in my opinion, cuz the baldes can shake loose of the o-ring. But they are great tree stand blades.
On spot and stalk hunts..i will have a fixed head.

There is my 2 cents.....feel free to give me change back! wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a fair assement actually. And there is always the issue of a wider head making up for an error.... thats actually why I shot Deltas instead of Eskimos..... but it only goes so far.

I don't THINK I'd have an issue with the rage on deer... but due to other bad tastes and the fact that if I put a normal head in the right area, its done.... worked for years and continues( or is that worked for decades, centuries even....)

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy shot a big whitetail yesterday evening with a Rage 2 blade. Caught him in the shoulder at about 25 yards and didn't get much penatration. Backed out and are leaving him for in the morning, keep you posted as more develops, it's been a long night.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Got a friend that has killed two this year with the Rage-3 blade. I've been using Sonic's. They are cut on contact a lot like a Slick Trick. Every deer I've shot has only gone a short distance and the arrow was a complete pass through.

Funny how big a hole can get if the deer is moving... Those razors will leave a gaping hole if the arrow is moving slow and the deer is attempting to escape as the arrow goes through. Shot one with the Sonic 1" cut and the exit hole was about 1-1/2" wide and 4" inches long. She ran straight down. LOL

Ho Hum just another [bleep] day in paradise...Crossville, TN
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had really good results with the 2 blade rage in my crossbow. I plan to get a new bow next year and will most likely shoot the 1.5" 40KE head. Yeah...they work as good as any Muzzy I have used, and I was a BIG muzzy fan for years.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I used them last year...every kill was a bloodbath. I put a hole in a 300lb boar that went a whopping 25 yds before he piled up. Also, shot a spike that was poorly hit (jumped the string). He made it a grand total of 15 yds before he bled out. I'm shooting Slick Tricks this year for the sake of simplicity, but I would gladly shoot the Rage 2-blade again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot 2 deer in the past week with Rage 2 blade. You might as well have had dumped a 5 gallon bucket of blood on the trail. I also shot 2 last year.. same story.. I think the whole broadhead thing is overblown.. It is shot placement that counts!! If you poke a hole in their lungs they are dead! All these stories about lost deer are 99.9% the shooters fault. I am not saying that Rage broadheads are the best.. I doubt they are.. but for deer they are more than fine. If I was shooting brown bears, it would not be my first choice.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am now shooting the 2 blade Rage after not being able to find 90 grain 4 blade muzzy locally.
I have had Votex heads fail on a trophy coues which I was never able to find. I swore I would never use a Vortex again or a mechanical for that matter. A mech. needs to be able to lock so they don't slip out of you don't get full penetration.
However and a big however. The rage open differently. They also have made people that swore to never use a mech again start using Rage. The broadhead is just lethal and the blood trails and wound holes are just huge. They may not be a fixed blade, but they are no ordinary mechanical either.
I have read reviews from hunters so I gave them a try so did a buddy of mine.
I am a believer in how they do, and until I find my favorite 4 balde muzzy in 90 grain I will stick to them.
They may be a Mechanical, but they work and work well.

Just my two cents.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stevie Wonder could follow the blood trail of a 2 blade rage:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i already put my 2 cents on this earlier......BUT.... TWO buddies switched this yr to the 2-blade Rage. One just shot a buck AND doe with it. Could NOT believe the devestating he got from them, one iwth a qtr away hit and one iwth a broadside gut shot. Both died under 100 yds.

Other body shot a doe to far back, only went 15 yds and fell over.

Rage does NASTY NASTY things to any body parts within 2 inches of the hozzle/shaft. If u like BLOOOOOD trails...these are a great head.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Better do the buffalo sooner then later, the countries closing DG to archery is growing all the time. Tanzania has stopped Archery, Botswana has it under review as does zambia. RSA allows it with a minimum of 90lb draw and a 1000 grain arrow, Maybe it's 1200 grains now? Mechanical Broad heads are also not allowed for any game. What they have not outlawed in Archery they have regulated to make it difficult or nearly impossible. This was a proposed set of laws this past year. Not sure yet which they will adopt. We also need to remember that it was not long ago that no archery was allowed in RSA for big game. They changed those rules to allow it, and now they are pulling back the reigns a bit.

But Please bring fixed blade heads! I've seen way too many issues with mechanicals.

I would guess that in a decade the permits for archery hunting will be much like the permits for handgun hunting but for much different reasons. I love archery hunters in camp, I could not be happier to have a whole camp of archery hunters. So bring it on and lets go shoot some game.

Couldn't agree more. If people would spend the time to tune their bow there wouldn't be a need for a mechanical head. I honestly can't see any situation where a mechanical is better than a fixed head, none!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've shot a wide variety of broadheads over the years. The last 2 years I've shot the G5 Striker. They are very impressive, tough and sharp. I did shoot a deer with the 2 blade rage recently and was not impressed with the blood trail. I got a complete pass through quartering away, Dbl lung. Cut 2 ribs on the near side and 1 on the far. Enough blood to follow, but not like the ads lead you to believe. They worked fine, but I'll stick with the Strikers for now. Rages will work as plan B for me.

Joseph

Joseph
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JUST PLAIN DEADLY!!!!
My buddies and I have killed 6 buck 6doe and 1 bear in the last 4 years with them...NO ISSUES!! all deer dead as hell with some of the best blood trails we have ever seen.. Even on the poor shots the deer died after short tracking jobs..

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot two Corsican rams today with the G5 strykers, Both 35 yards and both pass throughs. Anyone that has shot these with an arrow knows they have incredible thick winter fur now and have a strong will to stay with the herd. I've seen them in the past with less then perfect shots ( one lung or liver hit) run and stay alive for 30 minutes.

The two shot today for the smoker fell within 30 feet of being hit behind the "elbow" Nothing wrong the the strykers! The blood flow through that thick fur is substantial. The 125grain slick tricks are the same. I would guess I shoot 20 corsicans out of my pasture every year with a bow. Mostly young rams, but the occasional "trophy" size too. They weigh between 100 and 160lbs much like a normal whitetail but with much greater desire to keep up with the herd.

Never used a rage on one but if I had one I would use it no problem. Just that the short steep broadheads like the Stryker, the slicktrick, and the wac'em are simply deadly and fly like a field point.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love these stories about the lack of blood trail..

I just wonder this... at what point in the deers death did the rage fail??

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think its ever that it failed in the death of the deer, but that the performance leads one to surmise that in a not perfect situation it would fail.

Thats why I wrote of ALL mechanicals years ago as a gimmick I don't need to risk game on.

Much the same as why I wrote off Partitions due to not complete penetration... yep the animals were dead, but a what if shot may not produce a death so... you find out that you want to swap.

As for me... IF I do my part right, there is no need for a rage. Not even with a gutshot. And IF I tune my bow correctly, the non mechanical heads fly super.

No need to take a risk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Harleyguy,
I couldn't agree with you more on the broadhead talk about being overblown. Bottom line: They are all sharp, and they all cut. I've shot lots of different broadheads over the years, starting way back in the 60's with the Bear razor insert, then the 4 blade Satellite, Thunder Heads, Spitfires, and now I'm shooting the two blade Rage. I love the Rage and have had great success and fantastic results from the kills. Lot of my friends now shoot the Rage and have had great results as well. One double lunged a deer at 51 yards last year, another drilled a turkey at 38 yards this year. Can tell you tale after tale of Rage success stories. Could someone of done the same with lots of other broadheads?? Sure. So to each his own. In a nutshell, I don't think any of the broadheads out on the market today are 2 cents worth better than the other. Lots depend on shot placement more than anything. We can listen to story after story, till the cows come home, of great successes and some failures as well, of all the different broadheads. Just like using different calibers of rifles. It isn't what you hit them with, its WHERE you hit them. A bit different with an arrow going 300 fps, compared to a rifle bullet going 2000fps or more however. No matter what broadhead you use, you can't/won't crush through bone like a rifle bullet. You may pop through one or both ribs with an arrow, but you're not going to smash through a shoulder of an elk or even a deer with any arrow and broadhead. Even thinking about taking a deer, elk, etc. through the shoulder is a poor idea. Hit em right with any of today's well made broadheads, and you'll get your game. So shoot what you like, good luck with your success, and have a great time doing. Hunt safe. Just love the sport of bow hunting.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 10 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.