Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Gday all,
I live in western Queensland, Australia. Recently I shot a friends Ruger #1 chambered for a 460 wetherby necked up to .510 ( oh yea ) which he rebarrelled with a big heavy octagonal barrel. Awesome bit of gear, he hand casts 640 and 860 gr hollow point lead pills for it ( 640's hurt ! ) The thing is I have fallen in love with the #1's and have ordered myself a standard stainless in .300 win mag with a Leupold 66440 scope ( 4.5x14x40 adj obj). May problem is I would like to source a replacement laminate stock for it as a) his is a stainless standard and b) I'm not a real fan of timber stocks c) I'd like to personalise it some. Am I being blasphemous here ? I have searched the web but cant find laminate stocks for the #1 ( plenty of timber around ) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mat

GB1

O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I'm a dumbass and new to the hunting scene my friends no1 is chambered for 500 a square, sorry bout that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by oz_mag
I'm a dumbass and new to the hunting scene my friends no1 is chambered for 500 a square, sorry bout that.

OOUCH !!! That thing kills on one end and wounds on the other....

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the Forum!
You should hook up with a fella from down there, kombi1976 is his name - he shoots single shots - Rugers and martinis.
can't rememmber where he lives, but I do know he is a school teacher ( music).
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the campfire and to the Ruger No.1's.Does the stainless No.1 you ordered come with a laminate stock? Bell and carlson makes a fiberglass stock.I have a no.1 in 25/06 stainless with a laminate stock.Some people don't like stainless No.1's.It's a little on the heavy side but I really like mine.It's one of my main hunting rifles.Keep us posted when you get your No.1.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a standard #1B in .300 Win. mag. and it is a tack driver. I do recommend removing the wood from the gun and sealing it. Ruger either does not seal the internal wood or does such a crappy job so as to be useless. I also have A #1S that is also quite accurate.. Both rifles favoer 200 gr. bullets, the Speer Hot-Core and Nosler Partitions. No use giving the power charge as what I use has been off the market for almost 10 years. Fortunately, I found out about it and have what can be considered a lifetime supply.
You might try looking in thr Ruger Owners forum for a laminated stock. I saw one advertised yesterday but don't remember where.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/index.php?sid=5ae066a0d1023bb14d008ae0c6f4464c

That would probably be the best place to ask.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all your replies guys and the welcome ! I have to go back to work for a month today so I should have my no 1 when I get back can't wait.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
oz mag, welcome to the campfire!

maddog

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Welcome to the Campfire! Man...I started at the bottom with my first #1, a .223. I worked my way up to .375 H&H and now find myself working my way back down. You started at the top for sure. That 300 should be a walk in the park for you - good luck with it!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Everyone who picks up my Number One wants to love all over it. I always wipe it down real good after they fondle her like a whore. There are many others like her, but she's mine. I do get a little jealous sometimes.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
IC B3

O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
Everyone who picks up my Number One wants to love all over it. I always wipe it down real good after they fondle her like a whore. There are many others like her, but she's mine. I do get a little jealous sometimes.

Ha Ha Ha funny sh*t mono ! Thanks for the link Pat James, I got all over it but none of the dealers are real keen to ship to OZ (FRIGGGG) I email Bell and Carlson direct so see how we go. Thank you all for making me feel welcome I'm pretty new to forums and that so thanks again.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Welcome back anytime oz_mag. I love talking to sportmen around the world.

O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Ok here is a little something that should get a giggle. All 190 pounds of me strapping on to the mother of all no 1's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBvbYocwXPc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OzMag - does this piece of awesome artillery have wheels and towed behind your friends car? 860 grain projectiles...Geez, the .50BMG "only" has 750 grains. Are 'Roo's that tuff down there? Regards, Homesteader.

O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Gday homesteader, The big fella waiting to catch me on the first shot is the owner of that cannon he is 6'8" and about 300 lbs. The second shot was the 640 grainer and they hurt like hell. Yes roos are tough, horses don't much like it either. Ya gotta have a mans gun, anything not in the magnum class around here is looked upon with disdain. Guess you could call us " Good ole Boys " of the southern hemisphere !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OzMag - funny you should mention having a "man's gun etc." I ran into a fella who used to hunt in Angola when the Portugese were still running the show. Best selling caliber for those guys was the .460 Weatherby. To him they were so numerous they were nicknamed "Portugese PopGuns". The fact that most of the Portugese hunters couldn't shoot them very well (recoil, flinch etc.) didn't matter...nothing smaller was deemed "manly enough". If you want enough gun...outclassing everybody a Barrett .50BMG should do the trick. Unless, of course, they'll allow you a 105mm howitzer - LOL.
Pop a Foster's for me, Mate. Regards, Homesteader - "Up top..."

O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
No go on the 50bmg in Queensland, large caliber stuff makes our LEO's a little nervous ha ha, hence the 500 a square. There isnt much around here over .416 but its all mag or improved and mostly we hunt with .223 (popular with roo shooters) to .375 H&H. The big stuff is for fun.For me the the .300 win mag will do both, hunting and long range target. 105 mm if we were allowed we would. I'll crack a XXXX for ya mate proper aussie beer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OzMag - at least Four X has a better reputation for taste then Victoria Bitters. Some of the nicknames for VB knocked my socks off...vomit brew etc. Of course, I've no personal experience with the stuff (couldn't find it here in Miami). BUT others taste like they're samples submitted for drug tests (caught my drift ?)- LOL. Regards, Homesteader.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Great video, mate. If you're ever in the US, look some of us up. We'd love to shoot with you and talk about local customs.

O
oz_mag Offline OP
OP Offline
O
hell yeah mono one day

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 30 invisible), 14,539 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,955
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.