-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay, so you knock turrets for something that you admit the scout scope isn't up for.

What are you talking about?!?!? A Scout scope isn't up for turrets? You're like arguing with a 7th grader. One of those "...I may not be right but I'm DAMN sure not wrong!!"

What's the Ashley base weigh?

I wasted a a few seconds at the Brownells site...the base weighs 3.2 oz. Why I did this, I'm not sure, but there it is. I'm still not quite sure why you're comparing the weight of a full-size scope to a Scout scope, but I can tell you with a great amount of certainty that I'm rapidly becoming bored with your drivel. But, I somewhat enjoy helping a fool like yourself look like a fool....

Haven't posted a pic of my rifle yet, any of them (at least not on this thread), so you strike out there, too.

You're correct, ny bad. The post that shows the rifle mounted to the scope was by "toad". I assumed when you started your prating about a a 6x42 blah, blah, blah that it was your rifle pictured...which is further confusing. Why did pic a 6x42?

Boxblind scored an X ring, obviously.

Sorry Junior. I own and hunt on my own property and there's nary a box blind to be found. But feel free to argue as you probably know more about my property than I.

Post envy, as well as envy of other attributes, suits you; keep it up.

Let me correct myself from earlier..you're arging with a 7th grade girl.

From now on if you want to call me names, why don't you PM me? Nah, that'd take all the fun out of it wouldn't it? 'Cause then you wouldn't receive the attention you so desperately need from people reading your childish posts.

35WN

Good luck to the elk....

Oh yeah...this will be mine and my fathers 7th year to hunt elk in this particular place (All d.i.y. hunts by the way) So far, the elk only win 33% of the time

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
GB1

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
In my experience, ANY scope with a turret is a compromise. Sure, they make for easy adjustment, but being drug out of and crammed into a saddle scabbard, ...

I can't tell you which "brand" scabbard is set up for the profile of a Scout scope "system" as you put it. The scabbards we use are custom made and they'll handle my Scout rifle no problem. ...

If I may ask ... why are you trying to debate the "cramming" of turrets in/out of a scabbard when you are using a custom scabbard in the first place? Seems it would be rather easy to get one that fits a rifle/scope combo with turrets if you can have one made for a scout scope setup ...

and FWIW, I've done the scabbard thing a couple of times, using a rather standard leather scabbard that was NOT set up for turrets ... yet the scopes on my rifles at the time wore turrets, and it was not an issue at all ...

-WGM-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Martini was shot at 50 yards.

What size are those orange dots?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Okay, so you knock turrets for something that you admit the scout scope isn't up for.

What are you talking about?!?!? A Scout scope isn't up for turrets? You're like arguing with a 7th grader. One of those "...I may not be right but I'm DAMN sure not wrong!!"

What's the Ashley base weigh?

I wasted a a few seconds at the Brownells site...the base weighs 3.2 oz. Why I did this, I'm not sure, but there it is. I'm still not quite sure why you're comparing the weight of a full-size scope to a Scout scope, but I can tell you with a great amount of certainty that I'm rapidly becoming bored with your drivel. But, I somewhat enjoy helping a fool like yourself look like a fool....

Haven't posted a pic of my rifle yet, any of them (at least not on this thread), so you strike out there, too.

You're correct, ny bad. The post that shows the rifle mounted to the scope was by "toad". I assumed when you started your prating about a a 6x42 blah, blah, blah that it was your rifle pictured...which is further confusing. Why did pic a 6x42?

Boxblind scored an X ring, obviously.

Sorry Junior. I own and hunt on my own property and there's nary a box blind to be found. But feel free to argue as you probably know more about my property than I.

Post envy, as well as envy of other attributes, suits you; keep it up.

Let me correct myself from earlier..you're arging with a 7th grade girl.

From now on if you want to call me names, why don't you PM me? Nah, that'd take all the fun out of it wouldn't it? 'Cause then you wouldn't receive the attention you so desperately need from people reading your childish posts.

35WN

Good luck to the elk....

Oh yeah...this will be mine and my fathers 7th year to hunt elk in this particular place (All d.i.y. hunts by the way) So far, the elk only win 33% of the time

Your reading comprehension is simply piss poor.

You were knocking turrets for something that you admit the scout scope isn't set up for (lugging on high country elk hunts... your words, not mine).

That, would be a red herring (i.e., a non-starter, for argument sake).

The Ashley base weighs 3.2 oz. Lovely. That puts your scope and base at 10.2 oz, while the 6x42 and Talleys total weighs in at 13.5. That leaves you 3.3 whole ounces for rings to have the scout system be lighter than the 6x42. The point there, skippy, is to rebut your position that the full size scope is too heavy, and the scout set-up not; simple math proves your wrong.

As for picking a 6x42, well, that's easy. That's what more than one of my rifles wears, and it's one of the scopes YOU knocked earlier as too big, bulky, and heavy (see WGM's post, and your reply).

Glad you own and hunt your own property. Congratulations? You want a cookie to go along with that?

And, I'm arguing with a 7th grade girl? Well, okay... then you really ought to be in bed by now.

As for PMing, well, that street runs both ways... have at it, Hoss.

And, again, good luck to the elk; at least those not in front of your father.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jim62

They look like 3" shoot-n-see type stickers.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not intending to get in the middle of any "discussion" but I've seen several references to the weight of the 6x42 Leupold being 11oz.
That must be for the older M8 model because Leupold lists the current 6x42 FX-3 as weighing 13.6oz.

Are the new ones heavier than the older ones?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Possible. I've got both the M8s and the FXs, and haven't noticed much, if any, weight difference. A couple ozs ain't schit.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

6",..and the Cadet fires a 1" diameter bullet.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Curious to know which scabbard is set-up for the profile of a scout scope system, having the bulge for the scope so far down the barrel....

Or, how the scouit scout system, with the base, rings, and scope, is so much lighter than the 14 oz of a 6x42 FX-III and Talley LWs....

Or, how the fragile and easily knocked off turrets somehow manage to keep up with the "gentle" treatment they receive in use in combat situations with military snipers, not to mention the use by hunters who don't sit in boxblinds....

Originally Posted By: VAnimrod
Originally Posted By: Oregon45
I have to agree with JO on this one VA. A buddy took a fine Blacktail buck on opening day last weekend. Shot was 20 yards, straight down, as my buddy was on top of a rock escarpment rising above a vast scrub oak thicket on a ridge. The buck was feeding along the edge of the thicket where it met the rock wall. My buddy said when he took the safety off (Winchester Model 70, three position) the buck froze. Wrong move on the buck's part.

They can hear those things, if you're close enough and the wind doesnt'd drown you out. Personally, it's not enough for me to worry about and I use B&C caps as a matter of course and haven't missed a shot because of them.

Considering that I've shot deer STRAIGHT DOWN out of tree stands, and at a measured 10', all while snicking off safeties and/or flipping caps, I'm still calling BS. Either the blacktails are supernatural as even compared to whitetails, or someone's blowing smoke. I'd wager on the latter.

Tree stand/ Box Blind whats the differance?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damn, I thought 35WhelenNut was a chump beforehand....

Care to say it openly, douche? Oh, wait, that's right.... you'd rather just send a couple nasty PMs, then try to put someone on ignore when they go to respond.

Your father, I hope, does well on the elk hunt... even if he should have taken matters into his own hands, and wiped them clean of the cull, years ago.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by SLM
Curious to know which scabbard is set-up for the profile of a scout scope system, having the bulge for the scope so far down the barrel....

Or, how the scouit scout system, with the base, rings, and scope, is so much lighter than the 14 oz of a 6x42 FX-III and Talley LWs....

Or, how the fragile and easily knocked off turrets somehow manage to keep up with the "gentle" treatment they receive in use in combat situations with military snipers, not to mention the use by hunters who don't sit in boxblinds....

Originally Posted By: VAnimrod
Originally Posted By: Oregon45
I have to agree with JO on this one VA. A buddy took a fine Blacktail buck on opening day last weekend. Shot was 20 yards, straight down, as my buddy was on top of a rock escarpment rising above a vast scrub oak thicket on a ridge. The buck was feeding along the edge of the thicket where it met the rock wall. My buddy said when he took the safety off (Winchester Model 70, three position) the buck froze. Wrong move on the buck's part.

They can hear those things, if you're close enough and the wind doesnt'd drown you out. Personally, it's not enough for me to worry about and I use B&C caps as a matter of course and haven't missed a shot because of them.

Considering that I've shot deer STRAIGHT DOWN out of tree stands, and at a measured 10', all while snicking off safeties and/or flipping caps, I'm still calling BS. Either the blacktails are supernatural as even compared to whitetails, or someone's blowing smoke. I'd wager on the latter.

Tree stand/ Box Blind whats the differance?

And?

Have, and will again. It ain't the only way I hunt, nor my preferred, but at times, it works.

Your point is, exactly, what?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

6",..and the Cadet fires a 1" diameter bullet.

So, Bristoe.. all joking aside, what diameter are those Orange dots ?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Figure the Cadet is firing a .311"ish bullet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
VA..

I know what diameter bullet the Cadet fires. I have owned and handloaded for 2 origional Cadets in the last 10 years.

I even cast the heeled bullets for them myself.

I was asking Bristoe about the size of the target dots- not the bullets or the bullet holes.

Thanks for your help, though. wink

Last edited by jim62; 10/27/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jim62 ...

if you know the size of the bullet holes, it shouldn't be hard to figure out the size of the orange dot ...

at least, I guess that was/is the point VA was making ...

-WGM-
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you look at the holes, you can get a pretty good idea of the size of the dots.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you look at the holes, you can get a pretty good idea of the size of the dots.

Guys,

I know that. There was a point to my question about the size of those dots.

Rather than assume based on the size of the holes, or put words in his mouth , I wanted to hear it from BRISTOE himself.

Is that too much to ask?

To all gunmaker critics-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it "too much" for someone to try to steer you in the right direction?

Nobody is making fun of you, or anything of the sort ... simply trying to help out, that's all. For all we know, Bristoe may never read this thread again ...

If it's that important for you to know the answer from Bristoe himself, try sending a PM to him, as the odds of him getting your question that way are better than simply hoping he's following this thread ...

-WGM-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
WGM...

My point was I asked BRISTOE..not three other people who had nothing to do with the targets he posted.

Like I said, I asked a simple question. I was willing to wait a few hours for Bristoe himself to respond. Out of respect for Bristoe..

No PM needed.

And no "steering" needed from anyone else....

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not once did you thank people who were honestly trying to help you. No. You�d rather be a tool. That�s been the story of your posting history on this board. I hope Bristoe tells you to urinate up a rope.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.