Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I DO beleive that Remington needs to address this issue upfront. They need to definatively establish whether the affected rifles were "tinkered-with" or "adjusted" in any way. We do not know this at this time.

I just bought a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen and am looking forward to shooting it. I'm now necking up 30-06 cases and starting to develop loads.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'd truly like to see the turkey hunter or eastern hardwoods deer hunter that uses a semi-auto and doesn't close the bolt until he's ready to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see your point... I have only hunted with my BAR (So Far) and like I said I don't charge it till I an ready to shoot.

And yes I have killed hogs with the method.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by temmi
I see your point... I have only hunted with my BAR (So Far) and like I said I don't charge it till I an ready to shoot.

Hogs.... no doubt. I've walked into field with hogs and kicked em in the ass. The wind is all you need to concern yourself to hunt hogs. Deer and turkey can see and hear at 100 yards better than a hog at 20 yards.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by temmi

Hogs.... no doubt. I've walked into field with hogs and kicked em in the ass. The wind is all you need to concern yourself to hunt hogs. Deer and turkey can see and hear at 100 yards better than a hog at 20 yards.

True...

For deer and such I use my 338WM... which is a MGA built on a Rem action.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned and fired Remington center fire and rimfire rifles,and shotguns too.I have never had one of the guns discharge unless I intentionally fired it,and in all of these years,this is the first I have heard of this.I know folks that have used nothing but Remingtons in all calibers and configurations,and have never had these problems.This just sounds pretty fishy to me,maybe I'm just ill informed or something.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't been exposed to the 24 Hour Campfire but a couple of years,I see members with thousands of posts on here.I know for a fact there are people on this site that are as knowledgeable as any you'll find anywhere,and extremely fine and good natured to boot.There's some occasional BS on here,no doubt,but it's usually seen as such and passed off as such in customary manner.I see"GUN BASHING",as ya'll call it sometimes,on here.I don't recall a single time on this 24HCF seeing a thread bashing the Remington 721,700 or any of the rest for being unsafe as this program suggests.About the only criticism I've read is that it doesn't have a three position safety as does the mod 70 Winchester.Most of the people on here have had more guns than Carter has pills,you'd think with all the true and real knowledge on here ,this would be one of the first places for a bad safety to be revealed and exposed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This just sounds pretty fishy to me,maybe I'm just ill informed or something

CNBC and MSNBC are on 24/7.

If you dedicated several weeks to watching them, you'd learn lots of stuff. Much of it would be useless left-wing BS, but you would've learned it, regardless.

whistle

Last edited by dubePA; 10/29/10.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
they are indeed on 24/7 which means that they have to find something to fill that time. i imagine every now and then that problem leads to pointless fluff news shows with no real value.

hmmm...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tried it once Foxbat, on a turkey. Didn't work, frown!

Got caught in the multiflora rose (and tangled up) I mentioned on a post somewhere. Got the 870 off my back, shotshell out of my pocket, slid into the reciever, bolt moved to the 'snick' spot. Standing there with that red-headed eyeball staring at me five or six yards away in the rose, trying to make up mind to 'snick' or not. That, knowing a 99.99% probable this ain't going to work. Safe shot to a hillside right behind gobbler too.

Vine hooked into my neck and ear. The ear was beginning to hurt.........bad!

Did the 'snick, and lost the game, mad!

Next time Foxbat, the next time wink!

Whitetails are easier to 'snick' if you do it right, or their
very, very, very close!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes an empty chamber is safe but it won't shoot anything either. I don't chamber a round until I'm in a stand and situated etc. but there are sometimes when you need a round in the chamber and a working safety - like on a deer drive etc.

And once again there are 2 real issues with the Remington trigger.

1. Is it is inherantly a less desirable design than one that actually blocks the striker. The M-70, Ruger M-77 and others with safety's that physically block the striker simply have a superior design.

2. They are too easy to screw up. Remington triggers are made to where they can easily be screwed up. Other triggers are designed where they can be safely adjusted by the end user without being made unsafe, Savage and Sako come to mind here. Remington still hasn't gotten it right.

So in the end the truth about Remingtons is this, they are good overall rifles but with flaws. And sorry Kool-aid drinkers they are NOT the most accurate factory rifles in the world, if you think so you just haven't tried enough other rifles...............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Jesus, how about ALL those shotguns out there without a wing safety?

They aren't too easy to screw up, no matter how idiot proof something is there are better idiots being made everyday. Lots of examples of them on this thread.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's two constants in this story.

Remington insists there is no problem with their trigger although it has been established for many years that is not the case. We have discussed that many times on here prior to this latest "news story".

And second, there are many posters who refuse to believe this fact. Remington has many thousands of satisfied users, but many on here refuse to think critically and blithely parrot that there's no problem with the 700 trigger/safety.

I own, and have owned many more, M600s and 700s. But I know that if the trigger is adjusted improperly or as bad allowed to have grit build up in the trigger the rifle can fire when the safety is pushed off. That's a long established fact.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They only thing one should do after years on this forum is golf. Barnes don't expand, Remington SUCKS, Kimber's don't shoot etc etc.

What I do know for certain is that a defective trigger isn't reason for people being shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's not the point Scott. Of course muzzle control trumps.

But to deny that the Remington trigger is capable of discharging by pushing the safety off is incorrect.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What I do know for certain is that a defective trigger isn't reason for people being shot.

Scott ... what you said there ... that is pure truth ... but doesn't address whether or not there's a potential issue with the Rem-Walker trigger/safety setup.

I can't say there is a real issue with it, at least not from my own experiences ... but I'm also not in denial that the issue can be real, based on the design.

I'm sure there are a few or more 700's that left the factory that were not adjusted at all by anyone, and still produced the 'problems' that these law suits keep attempting to address ... but I'd bet that the vast majority of all the ADs came from either ill-maintained rifles/triggers, or because "bubba" had his way with adjusting the trigger.

-WGM-
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not in my experience. The only time that has ever happened to me, it wasn't with a Remington trigger.

I know I can ADJUST the Remington trigger to do that, but I can also adjust a whole slew of other triggers to do that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RickF
That's not the point Scott. Of course muzzle control trumps.

But to deny that the Remington trigger is capable of discharging by pushing the safety off is incorrect.

So is every other bolt action rifle trigger on the market, if it is improperly adjusted.

No matter what part of the rifle(sear or striker) that the safety may block, if the trigger/sear engagement is not firm enough to withstand handling, vibration etc they CAN go off when the safety is released.

Even a Model 70 trigger.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't know, seems the issue is about people shooting people. Also seems to me if the trigger is defective then fine, go after the trigger folks. That still doesn't take culpability away from the person pointing a rifle at another. But of course blame is something all want to put someplace else.

I'd still hammer the dumb [bleep] for pointing a rifle at another.

The final issue is SOMEONE POINTED A RIFLE AT ANOTHER PERSON. If one is so [bleep] stupid to do that then they should fell the FULL force of the law.

Last edited by Steelhead; 10/29/10.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott ... again, you're spot-on about the liability issue ... and that's what gets under my skin with regards to the law suits. The plaintiff's attorneys are trying to lay all the blame (or as much as possible) on the trigger, and doing their best to avoid having their clients be held responsible for the RESULT of the AD - which would have been different in all cases had the firearms been handled properly.

I'm in the camp that says the trigger is not w/out flaw, and can potentially be dangerous ... but it's only as dangerous as one lets it be - i.e. pointing it where it shouldn't be pointed, while having a live round in the chamber, and screwing around with the safety and/or trigger while loading or unloading the weapon.

-WGM-
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (1lesfox, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.