Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick

In fairness,their PF and CRPF offerings do run smoother than their CRF attempts at feed/function.

Well, THAT outta be good for at least 40 more posts... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By folks who don't shoot...which seems to be "trendy" any more...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Model 70 XTR's pushfeeds, one in 270 and the other in 300 H&H mag, and they will both shoot 1/2" with the right loads with nothing done but a little trigger work.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
270 and 300H&H?

That's 2-strikes................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Only people who never owned one, or played with one...

you know, the large crowd any board always has, who are "experts" without ever even having to have any hands on experience with something...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Friday afternoon I sighted in several hunting rifles. 3 of them were push-feed Winchesters. A M670 carbine in .30-06, a M70 Ranger in .270, and a M70 Lightweight carbine in .308. I like 'em.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Must be using them big novelty quarters.

Everybody know's M70's cant shoot.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not me. I've owned one that was more accurate than a lot of the rifles I've owned.

It was an early model long action 308 with a 1-12 twist that I got cheap at a storage facility auction. It had a sloppy feeling action with no bolt guide slot, and bad looking pressed checkering on no figure walnut. Looked bad shot good.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have never been disappointed with the M70's I have owned and I have owned more than a few.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Only people who never owned one, or played with one...

you know, the large crowd any board always has, who are "experts" without ever even having to have any hands on experience with something...

To date my best Winny is an FN SPR A1,bone stock,save the Marty knob. My LTR chambered same(308) would out Agg it,but wasn't as heavy,long or unhandy...but them things tend to horn the Winny Faction up. Tough to bob a C/L tube,so I didn't.

That it's DBM mag confines were shorter than a 700's,didn't put any frosting upon it either.

Just sayin'.................

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by FC363
I have 2, one in .243 and another in .300WM, that after the typical pillar bedding, trigger adjusting, and handloading, that shoot very good groups. Well under 1/2" for 3 shot groups.

Not kicking you, FC363, but there ain't a whole lot of "well" under a half an inch for three shots. Even a half inch under a half inch is 3 through the exact same hole with ZERO variation. laugh grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I've owned M70's for more than 40 years, and I've never had a problem getting good accuracy out of any of them (no matter if it was a pre-64 model, 'push feed' model, or one of the newer classics).

But the M70's do have a preference when it comes to their action screws, and the way they are tightened can make a huge difference in how well they shoot.

For example, on my old 1960's M70 30-06 the front and rear action screws have to be very tight, while the center action screw needs to be 'just snug'. If I tighten the center action screw it will torque the action and mess up the groups. Same will happen if I loosen either the front or rear action screw.

Sometime you just have to experiment a bit and find out what a specific rifle prefers....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Must be using them big novelty quarters.

Everybody know's M70's cant shoot.

[Linked Image]

ND...where can I get some of those for my pics...?

whistle
ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
worked up a load for my dad's package WalMart model 70 this past weekend. H4350 and 130 Nosler BT. under a half inch for 3 shots several times.

was totally shocked that cheap looking $386 rifle would do that but i packed up and took it back to him with the targets and loaded a box. pics to follow of whacked deer, hopefully.

told him he could hit 'em in the eye out to 300 if he knew the elevation lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good group OFG. I have one of the newer ones that was produced before Winchester shut down and it shoots just as good and I haven't touched it except to adjust the trigger.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
lol the guy shooting beside me asked to see my targets. i showed him, he went "damn." and then refused to show me his lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
I've owned M70's for more than 40 years, and I've never had a problem getting good accuracy out of any of them (no matter if it was a pre-64 model, 'push feed' model, or one of the newer classics).

But the M70's do have a preference when it comes to their action screws, and the way they are tightened can make a huge difference in how well they shoot.

For example, on my old 1960's M70 30-06 the front and rear action screws have to be very tight, while the center action screw needs to be 'just snug'. If I tighten the center action screw it will torque the action and mess up the groups. Same will happen if I loosen either the front or rear action screw.

Sometime you just have to experiment a bit and find out what a specific rifle prefers....

[Linked Image]

I hate Winchesters,mainly because I've had lotsa them(54's,pre-64's,PF's,post-CRF's and CRPF's).

The dog knot is something to be rid of and anything wearing a 3-fastener bottom,always shines with the middle fastener at half-throttle.

Winchester still can't do a stock that isn't horrid,save their SPR's in A-series McMillan..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
lol the guy shooting beside me asked to see my targets. i showed him, he went "damn." and then refused to show me his lol

Prolly an 82 Trick Move specimen and he had cause to hide it............

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

I've seen it before.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There was never anything "wrong" with the post-64 push feed Model 70's.......except for the fact that they were not "real" (pre-64) Model 70's. That was the thing that cause most of the problems in most shooter's eyes.

The push-feed Model 70's were always very reliable and accurate, but they were (compared to the pre-64's) ugly, cheap looking and NOT a Model 70, in most riflemen's eyes. Winchester would have been better off just dropping the Model 70 name and introducing a new model number in 1964....instead of creating ill-will among shooters by giving the push-feeds the honored Model 70 label.

Unfortunately for Winchester (which had basically "owned" the bolt action market in this country since the mid-30's) they chose to give the push-feeds the "Model 70" name while also dropping quality of finish and stock design......at the exact time when other manufactures (Remington 700, Ruger 77) were introducing models that were better looking and could finally compete with the original Model 70.

If Winchester had decided to introduce the push-feeds, but called it the "Model 74" (maybe) the new rifles would have competed quite well with the other rifles introduced by others (OK, maybe the Rugers would have beaten them out anyway....it IS a better rifle). Instead, they had to not only compete with very good rifles from others while at the same time creating animosity among those who loved the pre-64 Model 70's.

Winchester created their own doom (as far as "owning" the market) with the decision to use the Model 70 name. And...as Ruger proved....the decision to lower quality and cheapen the stocks on their rifles did NOT have to happen.

The push-feed Model 70's are and always have been very good rifles......just poorly marketed by Winchester. Maybe there's a good reason "Winchester" no longer exists.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,910
Posts18,518,654
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.