Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm thinking about getting one of the two above rifles and both are available. Currently I have a Remington 700 in .35 Whelen and it's a good rifle but I like Ruger #1s better. As a result I want to get a #1 to fill that niche. The capability of the two rounds is similar although certainly the 375 is more powerful and flatter shooting. That could make the decision.

However, the rifles are similar, not identical. The barrel contours are different which does effect balance. Also, I find the Whelen perfectly agreeable to shoot, how much heavier would the .375s recoil be? Component cost favours the Whelen, performance favours the .375.

What are the thoughts of other #1 lovers and hunters?

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No doubt the Ruger No.1 is the better rifle, as compared to the bolt rifle. You can tell my remark is with admitted bias!
Without knowing what you intend to hunt, it is a harder question.
Deer, Elk or Big Bears?? In general, I support your notion and reasoning on the .35 Whelen. In the No.1, this caliber has only been chambered in the 2 Lipsey's Exclusives; the SS K1A and this years blue 1A. Both are reportedly limited to a production run of about 250 rifles, so it is not a decision you would want to dawdle around on. The K1A run was several years, but they can be found. The 1A is current, but they won't last long at the Dealer level.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The Whelen that I have a line on is this years blued #1A. Had it been a K1A I might have bought it already. I didn't realize that so few of the blued 1A rifles in 35 Whelen had been made.

As for it's uses, I do my deer hunting on my father-in-law's farm with a #1B in .270. The bigger rifle, Whelen or 375, would be for use in the brush or when hunting black bear which could involve longer ranges than simple brush hunting. I'm hoping to hunt moose next year but I'll have to see if that actually happens.

Ash, Army of Darkness
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
El Numero Uno, one other thing. I see you're from Texas, a friend of mine is moving to Wichita Falls, Texas in a few weeks. I might just make it down there for hog hunting in March. Hunting hogs with a #1 would be great.

Last edited by Fraser; 11/09/10.

Ash, Army of Darkness
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Both are certainly great rifles , I have the pleasure of owning a NEF 35 whelen and love it. Best part I picked it up for $120 you just cant go wrong. Small easy to carry, not heavy at all and the power to drop about anything out there. I guess I am spoiled because of the price

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We certainly have the hogs in Texas! Let me know if you make it for a Spring hunt and where you will hunt.
After a couple of years without seeing many, last Saturday, deer season opening morning, my Brother-in-Law had a herd come by him. So many, he couldn't even hit one. Claims there were 50 hogs in the herd!!
Get the blue 1A in .35 Whelen!!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I've been looking online and there are a couple outfitters within 30 miles of Wichita Falls. I'd like to go at it on my own but I've never been to Texas before or hunted hogs. Just the same, for this Canadian it would be a lot of fun to fly down to Texas to visit a friend and get in a hunt. On of the parts that could be fun would be to try and take a second one with my Ruger Redhawk. We can own handguns here but we can't hunt with them. Bringing it to Texas would be great.

Ash, Army of Darkness

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (17CalFan, 673, 7mm_Loco, 204guy, 30 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,992
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.