Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Leon,

My biggest disappointment using two pound test line was losing a 25" brown some thirty years ago. The fish was at the bank laying on it's side, one flick of the tail parted the line (lure was still on the fish's jaw) and away my fish swam.

I did catch a ten pound striper on four, but it was open water with a 6.5' rod. I had a much larger one (they go to 59+ pounds on Lake Hartwell, same guy that caught the 59+ state record caught a 54 earlier) strip all two hundred yards of line out.

I don't think 2 pound has enough abrasion or twist resistance for inline spinners or lure fishing.

Regards,
JB

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
JB in SC,

Oh my God, you must have been heartbroken to lose a 25" German Brown, a fish of a lifetime, after being so close.

I just got back from Eagle Lake in Northern California pursuing the hard-fighting Eagle Lake trout. Some say they fight like steelhead, but I have never caught a steelie. Anyway, where big, hard-fighting fish roam is no place for light line.

I can get away with 4LB test in the High Sierra; however, every year more and more big fish, over 10 pounds, are landed. But I am slowly making transition to 6lb test as minimum. But for the most part, the fish are almost always well under two pounds, so 4lb will get 'er done. With that out of the way, I do know of lakes in the High Sierra that hold trout that will easily exceed 15 pounds. For these lakes I have a Stradic 4000 spooled with 10 pound test. I'd gladly pass up hundreds of pan-size trout for a decent chance at a fish of a lifetime!

There are many stores along or near US 395 that have mounted trout on walls that will conjure up thoughts of bent poles, taut lines, and screaming drags! I would love to be so lucky just once! If I were to be, I would want the right setup for the job.

Good fishin'

Leon

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really dig Spider Wire Fussion in the 12 lb. class coupled with an 8 lb. leader for all my fishing....especially walleye and bass. The fussion just doesn't wear out, tangle or wear like the braided lines. It doesn't stretch, so you can feel everything. I use to fish with the 4-6 lb. leaders, but got damn sick of losing world class fish. A couple of them I still anguish over. They were hogs! I did land a 5.5 lb. 26" brown on the 8 lb. rig in a river. I am so glad I had the heavier line on. He (or she) now adorns my wall. I love that fish! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (280Ackleyrized, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 47 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.