Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by djpaintless
My kimber offers no air resistance unless you put an empty case in the chamber, then you can't blow any air through it. Jeff must not be putting a case in the chamber.............dj

The Kimber gushed more air out of the lug/chamber mouth area but the M7 and 700's put out a bunch, too.

Air can gush out, water can certainly get in, if only obviously <g>.

Calvin: try again with damp fingers, you'll feel the air like crazy. And dude... the gas vent hole in the side of the reciever there... where does that go to... straight to...? Hint...?

Calvin said it didn't matter for his point if there was a case chambered. He and his buddies mostly hunt "cold" anyway... so it's not relevant here. He's saying no water can enter even without a case in the chamber.

Personally, I'd expect that the case will make a big difference; how could it not? It'll slow water down for sure. But for the love of God, guys... watertight? Really? REALLY!? grin

You must have some really [bleep] rifles.. Try again.

HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW Jeff.. What's the annual rainfall in your parts? I must have missed it in your posts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So how many people are blowing rifle barrels now? And that pix Jeff just posted was disgusting. wink

When it's raining here the deer aren't moving so we drink beer and watch football.

Was going to recommend fluorescent orange tape so deer will think it's a toy gun but that probably violates some regulation and you'd get the Federal Toy Police on your ass.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Federal toy police do not [bleep] around.

They took ingwe's cap pistols last week...

I think Jeff needs to post a pic of how he is blowing on the barrel so Calvin can see if he is doing something different that would cause the rifle to fail the test. Maybe hold a thread by the shroud to demonstrate how air is coming thru.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blowing down barrels is getting a bit silly. Jeff is going to find out his "test" results are different when he does them with a case (empty please) in the chamber.

Really I think his arguement about a frozen plug in the barrel is pretty far fetched anyway. If it's raining it's not cold enough to freeze something inside the barrel. The only way it could possibly happen is if it rained hard and then turned colder but in that case your trigger and other internal parts of your gun are likely going to freeze before anything inside the barrel that somehow leaked past the case.

In any event I still think that muzzle taping is more important to prevent mud and/or other debris from entering the barrel than water. I've never had a problem with rain in an untaped barrel, but as mentioned before have seen issues with mud.....................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen issues with mud, snow, debris from still hunting in dense bush, etc.

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went and blew down the barrel of my T3 on an empty chamber and then again with an empty shell in the chamber. The first time a ton of air passed through. With an empty shell in the chamber it was completely air tight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol. No way I'm posting that pic.

I proved to my satisfaction that water flat POURS through a closed bolt and into the barrel. Anyone can do what I did in about 2 minutes and see for themselves. This idea that an EMPTY breech is waterproof is ludicrous and I took the time to prove it. Now I have a wet rifle drying out by the woodstove for my troubles <grin>.

Tape on the muzzle would do squat to stop water at the breech, though a round in the chamber would slow things down considerably (I'd bet) but, as I already said, I've pulled many soaked rounds from my chambers at the end of a rainy day in the woods.... which dovetails exactly with what I already proved so I'm done proving this. It done been proved. wink

Calvin and his airtight breeches (snork, giggle) notwithstanding.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

You sure the water that soaked your cartridges didn't enter from the muzzle?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What's that annual rainfall there Jeffy? I bet I get more rain in Oct, Nov, Dec than you get all year..

BTW, you aren't doing it right.. Keep trying.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Jeff,

shush now.. Don't let Dumbass Jeff O in on the "secret" of taping barrels.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blowing down barrels is getting a bit silly. Jeff is going to find out his "test" results are different when he does them with a case (empty please) in the chamber.

Really I think his arguement about a frozen plug in the barrel is pretty far fetched anyway. If it's raining it's not cold enough to freeze something inside the barrel. The only way it could possibly happen is if it rained hard and then turned colder but in that case your trigger and other internal parts of your gun are likely going to freeze before anything inside the barrel that somehow leaked past the case.

In any event I still think that muzzle taping is more important to prevent mud and/or other debris from entering the barrel than water. I've never had a problem with rain in an untaped barrel, but as mentioned before have seen issues with mud.....................................DJ

Agree mostly, and well said.

Even with a round in the chamber I bet I could get water dripping from the muzzle in under 2 minutes though. Try it!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you read the little test with a T3 I just posted?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff,

Yep. I hunt muzzle-down (IE, not slung) and don't use my muzzle as a prybar or chisel to get through the woods <g>.

I gotta go patch my roof, speaking of leaky chit, so I'm out of here... someone else, run the damn water test I did, plus one with a round chambered, would ya? crazy

If everyone is skeered to wet their rifles, I'll run it later tonight, how's that....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know this discussion has been about rifles but....................

Jeff, do own a shotgun?

Could you do the blow test on it - if you do?

And a rimfire also.

This is real world valuable info you just can't find anywhere else but here on the fire. smile

Thanx in advance. Keep us updated. Pics too please.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you read the little test with a T3 I just posted?

Ya, and was just in my room changing so I yarded the Kimber out of the safe and yes, it's much more airtight with a once-fired, not-resized case in the chamber. This is as I expected and predicted earlier. I'm mainly contesting Calvin's absurd statement that empty breeches are airtight.

Calvin: the answer is, "enough rain". wink

DJ: I have hunted one day where conditions were conducive to an ice plug. It was one of those crazy high-mountain weather days that went from warm, to rain and wet sloppy snow, to cold dry snow, and cold enough to make hard ice out of all the earlier rain water. I was seriously wondering if my rifle (Rem700) would fire as I was walking out. Considering all the ice in and on it. Could barely get it open back at the Jeep! So- I am pretty certain that a taped muzzle, empty-chamber, muzzle-down hunter would have had an ice plug that day.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/11/10.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I proved to my satisfaction that water flat POURS through a closed bolt and into the barrel. Anyone can do what I did in about 2 minutes and see for themselves. This idea that an EMPTY breech is waterproof is ludicrous and I took the time to prove it. Now I have a wet rifle drying out by the woodstove for my troubles <grin>.

So you've proved nothing. You haven't done the tests with an empty case in the chamber, two people have and the results are opposite of what you report. You probably have tried it with a case in the chamber but won't admit it because it shows that you are wrong.

Anyway plenty of people hunt without taping their muzzles, simple fact is not everyone is smart enough to. That you HAVE proven...........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fish head
I know this discussion has been about rifles but....................

Jeff, do own a shotgun?

Could you do the blow test on it - if you do?

And a rimfire also.

This is real world valuable info you just can't find anywhere else but here on the fire. smile

Thanx in advance. Keep us updated. Pics too please.

Lol. Pick on Calvin. The "blow test" was his stupid idea.

Note that everyone who's tried it on an empty chamber reports exactly what I do. A gusher. Buncha [bleep] rifles out there.......... lol....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

So you've proved nothing. You haven't done the tests with an empty case in the chamber, two people have and the results are opposite of what you report. You probably have tried it with a case in the chamber but won't admit it because it shows that you are wrong.

Anyway plenty of people hunt without taping their muzzles, simple fact is not everyone is smart enough to. That you HAVE proven...........................DJ

What's gotten into you? Sheesh. Now I'm a liar?!

I've proved to my satisfaction that water penetrates to, and wets, a chambered round in the field. Cause it does and has. I've seen it.

I disproved Calvins absurd assertion. That was my main goal.

I'm of the belief that a chambered round adds enormous water resistance, compared to an empty chamber, and probably enough resistance to render the point moot under most conditions. Happy? But I'll tell you right now, it's not water PROOF.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

[Linked Image]

Baby pics?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Who gives a rats azz weather or not a chamber is water proof? Jist don't use BLUE TAPE

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.