Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gene L
The American involvement in Viet Nam began in 1961. President Kennedy formed the Special Forces, who were in country after that time. Before that, the French Army was involved I don't know when Askins was in Viet Nam, however, didn't read his book, only his articles.

He was there in 1957, on a hunting trip. I've never heard it was anything but a hunting trip before this thread. Warren Page hunted there as well around the same time and (shockingly) didn't shoot anybody.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gene L
The American involvement in Viet Nam began in 1961. President Kennedy formed the Special Forces, who were in country after that time. Before that, the French Army was involved I don't know when Askins was in Viet Nam, however, didn't read his book, only his articles.

Ayoob Article

Based on his autobiography, the last man he killed was in 1957. Charlie was a U.S. military advisor in Vietnam. While hunting in the jungle one day, he ran across a Viet Minh soldier. Askins was carrying a Savage .358 lever action rifle (with which he had blown away a couple of other Viet Minh who interrupted his hunting on another occasion) but chose to draw his new Smith & Wesson Model 29 and fire it left hand only.

"I let the ambusher have the first 240 gr. slug right through the ribs on the left side. It was probably the first man ever killed with the .44 because it was quite new in those days," Askins observed casually. He finished the man with a second shot to the throat.

Article

Askins served in World War II as a battlefield recovery officer. He wrote of his exploits in his autobiography, Unrepentant Sinner. He was a military advisor in Vietnam where he trained South Vietnamese troops

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While hunting in the jungle one day, he ran across a Viet Minh soldier. Askins was carrying a Savage .358 lever action rifle (with which he had blown away a couple of other Viet Minh who interrupted his hunting on another occasion) but chose to draw his new Smith & Wesson Model 29 and fire it left hand only.

You were saying?

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seems to be a good use of a model .29!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

He was there in 1957, on a hunting trip. I've never heard it was anything but a hunting trip before this thread. Warren Page hunted there as well around the same time and (shockingly) didn't shoot anybody.

Brian. [/quote]

He was there in 1957 as a military advisor. Read up on it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
His book, "African Bush - Asian Jungle" really is quite good and gives decent insight to two sides of the man.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
While hunting in the jungle one day, he ran across a Viet Minh soldier. Askins was carrying a Savage .358 lever action rifle (with which he had blown away a couple of other Viet Minh who interrupted his hunting on another occasion) but chose to draw his new Smith & Wesson Model 29 and fire it left hand only.

You were saying?

Brian.

Ayoob Article

Based on his autobiography, the last man he killed was in 1957. Charlie was a U.S. military advisor in Vietnam. While hunting in the jungle one day, he ran across a Viet Minh soldier. Askins was carrying a Savage .358 lever action rifle (with which he had blown away a couple of other Viet Minh who interrupted his hunting on another occasion) but chose to draw his new Smith & Wesson Model 29 and fire it left hand only.

"I let the ambusher have the first 240 gr. slug right through the ribs on the left side. It was probably the first man ever killed with the .44 because it was quite new in those days," Askins observed casually. He finished the man with a second shot to the throat.

You were saying

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not suprised that you missed the point, but then that was expected.

Brian.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Not suprised that you missed the point, but then that was expected.

Brian.

I expected as much

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
American advisors had been in Vietnam since 1950, and the first casualty date is listed as 1956. The first battlefield fatality is listed as 1961.

My father served there in 62-63 as an advisor at Pleiku, and did a second tour with the Big Red One, at Lai Khe, in 66-67.

He said "things had changed by then".

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The object is to make the enemy dead. Shoot 'em in the face, shoot 'em in the back, hack them with a machete or put rat poison in their rice.....the end result is a dead enemy.....which was the whole point in the first place.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many folks trying to excuse murder for my tastes.

Peace out,
Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Icons are holy, don'cha know?

� the sanctity of print �

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It is quite easy, from the comfort of one's armchair, to criticize Col. Askins' actions in Indochina and on the border since none of us were there ourselves. Askins may have committed murders. I haven't seen anyone attempting to excuse it if he did. I have seen some making pronouncements without even having read the Colonel's own accounts. I think everyone understands Askins enjoyed killing; but it is inappropriate to mischaracterize incidents in which he may well have used his guns legitimately.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How many of us would kill Osama bin Laden, whether or not he had a weapon in his hand?

I'm not saying that not having the stomach for it makes one less a man. But I'd certainly say that's a murder I'd be proud of.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
How many of us would kill Osama bin Laden, whether or not he had a weapon in his hand?

I'm not saying that not having the stomach for it makes one less a man. But I'd certainly say that's a murder I'd be proud of.

Dan

IMHO murder is killing without justification, killing Osama would be justifield.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Skeeter whitewashes Askins' deeds in a positive spin in his book Hoglegs, Hipshots and Jalape�os. Kinda makes me suspect about his other writings.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah...let's trash ol Skeeter.

Dan

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not meant to trash Skeeter. Just wondering how he could gloss over some things.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Askins days on the Border were very rough and dangerous times. Askisns tells of officers being shot and he loads them up and deives to a pay phone to call for assistance. Very different in those days than today.

Suspect Skeeter's writings, WOW

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 18 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,859
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.