Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hi guys, I'm wondering what you think are the best boots for hunting elk in wet conditions. I've been hunting with a friend for the last 6 days (I got mine on opening day 11-6-10). We've had mixed conditions with snow and rain and my boots only hold up for about the first 2 days, then after that they are wet!!! My friend has 3 pairs so he can switch out when one gets wet. I think his are danners with goretex and mine are Lacrosse. Thanks for your help, BSA.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Cabelas house brand hunters (the ones with the nipple sole). The sole is best for mud and snow. With condensation in mind, it is hard to argue against two pairs. With my pac boots (which I don't wear often anymore) I have two pairs of liners. Makes a huge difference when you swap out the interior each day.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wear Danner Super Rainforest boots, and they are great. And it is WET where I live. I can wade through any water that doesn't go over the top of the boots and still be dry inside. I did oil them up with Hubberd's boot grease as soon as I got them, and will do that periodically.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I switch boots during a hunt also but I use Lacrosse Grange quite a bit. They are a rubber knee high boot - uninsulated.
They fit a lot like a rubber moccasin, very comfortable, always dry. They are odorless which is good for elk hunting. Since they are uninsulated you will have to maintain warmth from the sock you wear. I've never been cold in them. The Grange does not have an agressive tread but is still able to perform well on fairly steep terrain because the fit will contour to your foot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got into a pair of Cabelas Meindel "Perfekt" this year and was very happy with them. I had the older Meindel hunters before and have used Rocky and also have some shorter non insulated ones as well. The Perfekt boots did very well. Most comfortable and help aid your foot in breathing with the foot bed stuff. Also, good cusion compared to my others and they didn't soak through at all and I even crossed creeks with them.

Salmonhead
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the perfekts, denalis and mountain hunters. I just gave away my 9 year old ak hunters. none of them leak, all are good quality. I think to do it over I would have not bouht the denalis and bought the ak hunters again. all will last several years of hunting....my ak hunters were still leak free.....and beat to death.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had Mendl Perfekts and now Lowa GTX (sheephunters) and both have been flawless even in rainy western wa

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Schnee's Pac boots are perfect for the conditions you describe. Get an extra pair of felt liners so you can change them out every day.

I got mine at an RMEF raffle, and figured I would wear them only when in snow or mud, but I was really pleasantly surprised by how comfortable they are. I wear them a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
13" Schnee's Pac for me, but I also use Columbia Bugaboo's.

Very pleased with both..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have tried Red-Wings and Rocky Boots! I was not a happy camper with either of them, they leaked and the soles came off the Rocky's after 3 weeks. It took me 5 months to get them repaired and I do NOT hunt with them anymore.

I have had good success with Cabela's brand boots "Iron Ridge" for one and usd them 4 seasons plus around the property etc. A good boot.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by McInnis
Schnee's Pac boots are perfect for the conditions you describe. Get an extra pair of felt liners so you can change them out every day.

Definitely my choice fo multi-day trips or hunting in camp, swap the liners out every day so they are dry and keep a puck of leather treatment handy and you are set. Even a great Gore-Tex boot will get you wet (and cold) from the inside if worn day after day hunting and hiking if you can not properly dry them each night.

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have used the Kenetrek Mountain extreme 400's for the past year. They are very well made and waterproof.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An breathable material (leather or fabric) will eventually get wet. Well treated pacs with at least one pair of spare liners.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/16/10.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I hunted in at least 10 days of rain this year and the Kenetrek pacs 400 grams worked great a little heavy. I wish they made a uninsulated one but I too have extra liners and just changed them out. I had debated on some kind of rubber boot but decided on the packs. I think you need a rubber bottom for serious wet weather. My kenetreck Mt Boots will eventualy get wet too you just over whelm them with water like we had. It's like walking in a creek all day.

Last edited by ehunter; 11/16/10.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldnt focus so much on the brand or "model" of the boot. I would just look for a good quality boot that fits your foot well and is comfortable for YOU to wear for extended periods. I would recommend that whatever you decide on be lined with Gore-Tex. As I learned when I started Elk hunting, if it aint Gore-Tex, it aint waterproof. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

FSTF
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just ordered a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrable from Camofire.com. Their type of "Gore-tex" seems to breath well and these were not insulated and seemed like a good early season/hiking/antelope boot.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just packed my 2 fav pairs of boots for a Thur/Fri elk hunt.

*Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

*Kenetrek Mtn Xtreme 400's

And of course....some Kenetrek gators... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wish Kenetrek made their pac boots in wide widths. Went to Cabela's to buy a pair before my elk hunt, but they won't fit my dang feet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

*Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

Dober

Great minds think alike!!

ddj

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

*Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

Dober

Great minds think alike!!

ddj

Sounds like great minds also like dry and warm feet. BSA.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.