Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Has anybody got any experience with one of these saws? I've got about 5 acres of really overgrown pastures that I want to clear and turn into food plots. It's mostly filled in with 6-10ft dogwood and mountain ash that's under 2" in diameter.

I've cleared about an acre so far with clippers and it's a royal pain in the back. I'm wondering if this type of unit is worth the investment or should I just hire a hydro-ax? right now I'm taking the cuttings and piling them for bunny cover in the hedge rows. A hydro-ax, while much quicker, would eliminate the brush piles.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Five acres with a weed whacker sounds like a big undertaking.
How about one of the DR trimmers?
http://www.drpower.com/twostepmodels.aspx?name=field-brush-mower-w&page=fabmodels
early 70's I used a 60's Grvely walk behind brush hog to do a 3 acre lot of 2-3 " scrub and even used a buzz saw blade on it to cut trees.
But I was much younger in those days and I beat the heck out of the machine doin it

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find someone with a tractor and a bushhog.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Agreed on the DR.

I used to do 1/2 acre with a weedwacker, just the trimming and it would take about an hour.

The DR stuff is nice and if I was in your situation, I'd consider renting that or buying.

Combine that with a nice chipper-shredder and you can sell some mulch.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've used one. They do pretty well on smaller stuff but they will work your butt off! Like mentioned above, I think it's a little out of it's league for clearing that much area. You have to be extra careful with them too. A kickback can be disastrous. Also, if you let the RPM's drop while cutting they can hang up pretty bad.

JMO

Dave

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
hydro-ax is typically going for $170/ Hr I'd think the stihl would be much less expensive.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by davecb
I've used one. They do pretty well on smaller stuff but they will work your butt off! Like mentioned above, I think it's a little out of it's league for clearing that much area. You have to be extra careful with them too. A kickback can be disastrous. Also, if you let the RPM's drop while cutting they can hang up pretty bad.

JMO

Dave

That's what I was wondering. That flying sawblade was making me wonder. I actually do have a tractor/brush hog, but this stuff beats the hell out of that old thing to the point I stopped trying to use it for this stuff.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Goats.

My property is bigger than 5 acres, but we really only use the front 5 or so. The rest is a buck haven, ha ha. Anyway I rassled with the undergrowth for years and years but the way I finally "won" was with goats. They kill all that stuff AND keep it dead. It takes a while though.

If you go mechanical, a good weedwacker with a modified brush blade can work ok. Best of all is getting on your knees with kneepads on and using a chainsaw at high rpm's to get it all right at the base. A hellish job, and dangerous. And you still need to burn it.

Really, 5 acres is a goats or tractor job, IMHO, around here anyway. Otherwise it's an eternal job- by the time you get to the end, it's time to start back at the beginning.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of those. It works really well. If you use it properly any kickback throws the blade to the side not toward your feet. It would get the job done for you just a matter of how much time you are willing to put in. I wouldn't care to guess how long 5 acres might take without seeing how dense the brush is.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have not used the Stihl brush cutter, but I have used a similar cutter made by Shindiawa. I know quite a few people in the logging / tree removal business, and they have all quit using Stihl products. They claim that quality has dropped dramatically in the last few years.

I ran a Shindiawa T-270 for 12 years before I finally wore it out. I've been using a T-260 for the last 3 years with no issues.

What ever make of brush cutter you use, it is the blade that makes all the difference. Shindiawa makes a brush blade called the "Tornado Blade". It is, by far, the best brush blade I have used.

Instead of a continuous ring of teeth, the tornado blade has opposing sets of round tooth chainsaw teeth riveted to the blade in three locations (9") and 4 locations on the 12" blade. This keeps the blade from binding up and dogging down. There is also very little kick-back.

I have cut hardwood trees up to 8" dia. with these blades. They will walk right through 4" and smaller stems.

But... for what you are wanting to do with your land, I'd suggest hiring a small dozer to grub out your brush. This will get the roots and stumps, which play hell with discs and tillers, out of your way, and you can still pile up brush piles for the bunnies.

ego operor non tutela
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bulldozer. Life's too short to try and clear 5 acres by hand. Find someone with a small dozer, pay him $500, and get it done in a day. Keep it mowed with your tractor.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You can rent a tractor and bushhog and have it done faster and cleaner. Once you clear it, what are you doing with all the wood remnants?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've got a couple of these saws.

I hate slashing brush with those things, the chit falls over on you and your hands are busy with the saw, it's hateful.

I have a 5' bush hog mower on a 30hp tractor, that's my brush saw these days. it chops the stuff up too. Anything too big for that bush hog is way too big for that circular saw rigged weed whacker.

IMO anyways.

Something clever here.

B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Bulldozer. Life's too short to try and clear 5 acres by hand. Find someone with a small dozer, pay him $500, and get it done in a day. Keep it mowed with your tractor.

Crow, wouldn't a dozer remove the topsoil layer? My idea was to cut the dam dogwood and then frost seed clover or some other cover crop for a couple years in order to get the old root systems to die out enough to turned with a 2 blade plow. Is that a dumb idea?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
wouldn't a dozer remove the topsoil layer?

Not if your operator knows what he is doing. If it's not too wet you can shake most of the dirt off of the root while your piling with the dozer.

You mentioned Dogwood, and I would guess there are other shrub / tree species present, as well. These will re-sprout heavily when cut, and it will take several years of brush hogging to finally starve out the roots. Grubbing with a dozer = "one and done".

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking everything you cut off a ground level is going to re-sprout and be a nightmare if you don't spray it with something......not to mention the roots and stumps!

Cancer Sucks
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
I'm thinking everything you cut off a ground level is going to re-sprout and be a nightmare if you don't spray it with something......not to mention the roots and stumps!

that's been my experience also, for both good and bad.

the young growth resprouts are fine deer browse. it'll soon grow up pretty high again, unless re-cut.

but once a year mowing after the initial cutting will keep it in check. pretty cheap food plot.

but, if a change in land-use is desired, moving from young trees to plowed and seeded ground, more intensive site prep will probably be in order, with attendant energy and money displaced. no cheap answers when it comes to keeping tree species from taking over open ground, after the grass and weeds have been overtaken.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi

Crow, wouldn't a dozer remove the topsoil layer? My idea was to cut the dam dogwood and then frost seed clover or some other cover crop for a couple years in order to get the old root systems to die out enough to turned with a 2 blade plow. Is that a dumb idea?

What are you going for here? Trying to make a more attractive deer plot?

If so, I'd never cut dogwoods. In fact, I plant them all the time(Flowering, Red Rosier, Silky). Excellent whitetail shrubs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.