-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Im up north hunting, killed a deer and forgot my dam knife oil. I have my knife all cleaned up but no oil, can I use olive oil? IIRC I heard that oilve oil is good stuff to use on high carbon steel.

Yes or no?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
yes it won't hurt it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It does go rancid in the heat of summer, I have has better results with rice oil.
Easiest to carry in one of the small plastic eye-drop bottles which dispense a single drop at a time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IT will work, I like food grade mineral oil best.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think he has Olive oil on hand and nothing esle. I don't think he is looking for a substitute to use. Is Olive oil the best? No. Is it what you have avalable to use right now and will it work? Yes.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I think he has Olive oil on hand and nothing esle. I don't think he is looking for a substitute to use. Is Olive oil the best? No. Is it what you have avalable to use right now and will it work? Yes.

correct, just a bandaid for now guys till I get home.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wash it with soap and hot water, then dry throughly, making sure you have all the forign matter off the blade. Keep the blade dry, and you shouldn't have any problems even without oil.

You said high carbon? It is High Carbon/High Chrome or just high carbon? HC/HC will have some stain resistance.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by passport
Im up north hunting, killed a deer and forgot my dam knife oil. I have my knife all cleaned up but no oil, can I use olive oil? IIRC I heard that oilve oil is good stuff to use on high carbon steel.

Yes or no?
Sure, but it might attract insects unless it's cold outside. Another good oil for knives that might contact food items (like venison) is mineral oil. Right on the bottles they tell you how many tablespoons full to consume for various medical purposes, so it's by no means toxic in small amounts.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TG, most oil isn't toxic in small amounts.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FVA
TG, most oil isn't toxic in small amounts.
Try some WD-40 or Break Free on your next salad. I know, I know, not really oil.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to fly radial powered, open cockpit airplanes quite a bit... I've consumed more than my fair share of motor oil and I'm still kicking...

Andrew
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I used to fly radial powered, open cockpit airplanes quite a bit... I've consumed more than my fair share of motor oil and I'm still kicking...
Just think how much smarter you'd be had you not done so. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is what Ed Fowler says about taking care of your knives in the absence of oil..

Care of these knives is simple; the sheep horn in your handle has been carefully processed and aged in my drying sheds. The environment you live in will be different than mine; the sheep horn may shrink even more. All you need to do is apply a little natural oil to the handle, extra virgin olive oil or lanolin or Tree Wax or any natural wax that does not contain silicone is good enough. You can even use the natural oil many of us have behind our ears or on the side of your nose. Just rub your finger behind your ear and rub it on the handle. If you use the knife a lot the horn will absorb enough oil from your hands.

Any oil will keep rust from the blade, many times I simply apply the oil from the side of my nose or from behind my ear just like I suggested for the handle. Any brass polish will work on the guard. When the edge needs touching up, a few strokes on a smooth steel will bring the edge back to life. When you need to use a stone, I recommend a Norton Fine India stone. Again it will only take a few strokes to bring the edge back to an efficient cutting instrument

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
personally, I'd just wipe the knife clean, and not worry about the oil. Nothing bad is going to happen to the steel in a day or so.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you ever need a small amount of oil to "get by",just get it off the dipstick of your truck,lawn mower,chain saw,etc...goodluck!

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kennesaw
If you ever need a small amount of oil to "get by",just get it off the dipstick of your truck,lawn mower,chain saw,etc...goodluck!

+1 great recommendation.

Last edited by Mink; 11/24/10. Reason: I r cant speal

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the behind the ear trick.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mink

+1 great recommendation.
Yep. Hadn't occurred to me. Of course you wouldn't want to process meat (or any sort of food) with that stuff on there, but wood processing, rope cutting, etc. would be no problem.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mink

+1 great recommendation.
Yep. Hadn't occurred to me. Of course you wouldn't want to process meat (or any sort of food) with that stuff on there, but wood processing, rope cutting, etc. would be no problem.

Give a wipe on your pants and it will be a non issue.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,401 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.