-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark sells a lot of other stuff in his shop besides Wiggys stuff, if you haven't visited his store you should, he's got some quality stuff in there.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have the fishnets and they are great, unfortunately I can only wear it on a true wilderness solo trip or family trip as I look very much like I am going to a gay pride parade when I slip the stuff on. My ego couldn't stand the abuse any hunting partner would give me if they saw me in this stuff. Hint...Don't buy the black..it's pretty hard to miss even when under a shirt.

I also have the light weight waders. Very useful and light for wading small streams much lighter though more fragile than the Barney's model. It has rubber were absolutely needed and with care last a fair time before abrading and leaking. Worth the weight saving to me.

The sleeping bags seem crude and heavy. I have examined them but never tempted to buy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Last night it was pouring rain, hardest i've seen in a while but the weather has calmed down, it was 40 degrees when I drove into work this morning. It's suppose to cool off and we are expecting snow later today and tomorrow.

I've looked at a lot of the Kifaru stuff, most looks pretty good but that 3 piece bag system seems a bit far fetched. I can't imagine ever wearing a part of my sleeping bag as clothing and with all those zippers one would think it wouldn't be that warm.

Kifaru, not cheap. I have looked at the bag system... I have not read enough about it to trust it. But I just dont see it not having the heck tested out of it. The way I look at that stuff, is to buy some and then use the minimum sleeping bag, and the rest of the weight from a better bag, would be inside that stuff if it got cold AND as a layer of gear to add warmth while hunting as all of a sudden needed. Right now my backup to the backup is a 40 degree bag that weighs a pound... in my pack at all times just in case.... but I can't really wear it as another clothing layer...

DUnno for sure but may try some of that gear in the future. If so it'll be for my wife and she is the ultimate cold tester.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've looked at a lot of the Kifaru stuff, most looks pretty good but that 3 piece bag system seems a bit far fetched. I can't imagine ever wearing a part of my sleeping bag as clothing and with all those zippers one would think it wouldn't be that warm.

I agree, but they make "slick bags" too (one piece, without the zippers) that pack down very compactly for the temp ratings. What is Taylor's shop called again? I need to check it out next time I'm up there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wiggys Alaska! on the old Seward Highway right next door to the Pink Elephant Car wash. If you take a cab, ask for Grant, he's a good friend of Marks and could get you there blindfolded.

Steelhead

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't imagine ever wearing a part of my sleeping bag as clothing and with all those zippers one would think it wouldn't be that warm.

Well I certainly can. That Kifaru bag (the MOB) you refer to is the outer bag of a two part system. That outer bag, carried for an unplanned siwash, and used to keep you warm while you glass would be just the ticket, IMO. Leave your Feathered Friends down bag in camp.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, thats how its designed and thats how I intend to let my wife and I try it out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For folks concerned about weight, carrying a 2 part sleeping system isn't going to help much in that dept is it? I usually carry a lighweight tarp in case I get stuck out after dark but that hasn't happened to me yet.

Still can't see much sense in using part of a sleeping bag as a piece of clothing, just can't wrap my head around that one. I'd rather wear clothing designed for whatever weather conditions i'm in at the time while the sleeping bag stays in camp but to each his own.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If both pieces of the 2 piece... are 2 pounds each and I was going to carry a 4 pound bag instead... makes sense.

When you think about it, the bag doesn't help but at night... clothes only during the day so if you had part of a combo that could work day and night....

Jeff

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The idea doesn't appeal to me either, but knowing P. Smith and how he tests his gear, I have no doubt that it works.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I asked a buddy if we could do an overnight on a book caribou once... it would take till dark to get close... he said no, no gear... I was thinking... here i have bibs and parka on etc.... and more layers in the pack, and a tarp... get off the ground some, how would the clothes be different than the sleeping bag. By myself I'd have been dumb enough to try it.

This has appeal. I'm just not sure how it would work out.

Knowing P Smith too... it would have to work....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The biggest problem with making a single layer of insulation do double duty for daytime wear and sleeping in is when your daytime wear gets wet, your sleeping system is now compromised as well. That being said, I'm a fan of going half and half -- half of your night time insulation is your daytime insulation as well. In my case, it's an insulated poncho that I wear during the day when I'm not moving, and then goes inside or around my sleeping bag at night. I also routinely use my rain coat as a thigh length bivy around the foot of my sleeping bag.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To clarify my poorly written post. Anything that Wiggy makes/sells is off my wish list. I have no issue with Mark or the other products he has in his store.
Pete

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by North61
I have the fishnets and they are great, unfortunately I can only wear it on a true wilderness solo trip or family trip as I look very much like I am going to a gay pride parade when I slip the stuff on. My ego couldn't stand the abuse any hunting partner would give me if they saw me in this stuff. Hint...Don't buy the black..it's pretty hard to miss even when under a shirt.

Based on the photo of those fishnets there is an additional survival benefit that can't be understated. There is no way in hell I would be found dead in the woods wearing something that looks like lady�s underwear. The motivation to make it out alive would be extreme.grin

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yup...It's a motivator. Can't have my kids facing the ridicule at school so I'd have to get my fish-netted body home. I am not homophobic by the way. My original post sounds a bit harsh but man it's pretty extreme wear. My wife can't stop laughing when I put it on.

Last edited by North61; 11/25/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the scarriest part is thinking of how the big jerr prototyped it......imagine his big ol' arse struttig around in something similar all buck nekked......that stopped me from trying it!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
robl Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks guys. All really good info.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The fishnets don't work too well with a heavy pack on. (Careful you don't cut a nipple off as well) Tim.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have two of the poncho liners. They are thick and warm. In fact they can be too warm for using as a light hooch blanket like the .mil issued ones often get used for.

Overall I have been very happy with them.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.