Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4644907 - 11/29/10 04:57 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: JMR40]
lovesomeshootin Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: South Mississippi
Originally Posted By: JMR40
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

Not true on the talleys! I had a pair of them on a Tikka 25/06 and they BROKE after 2 weeks. Talley did replace them and also sent me a pre paid box to ship the broken ones back to them. They wanted to inspect them.

I have a couple sets of DNZ's and no problems!

#4644936 - 11/29/10 05:01 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: lovesomeshootin]
Calvin Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: AK
Nice.. Farmer tight?

#4644945 - 11/29/10 05:04 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: Calvin]
Farmboy1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Calvin:
Don't knock the farmers, they handle more mechanics than most here ever will.
I like the Dednutz, simple full rigid mount, well made, and they
will never break like that last photo.

#4644965 - 11/29/10 05:08 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: Farmboy1]
lovesomeshootin Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: South Mississippi
Torgue is 25inlbs. I'm a aviation mechanic, I have a few torque wrenches in my tool box.

#4645093 - 11/29/10 05:39 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: lovesomeshootin]
Farmboy1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Good to hear from a wrench turner, you are well qualifed to reply.
I have the Dednutz, and have moved the mount to my new 700, these
are well made, no ring marks on the scope, well recommended here.

#4645219 - 11/29/10 06:08 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: JMR40]
Oldelkhunter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: North Carolina
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

They(Talleys) look a little nicer but the weight diff is a non factor. The DNZ's are 2x as strong, better alloy that is properly treated and straighter. I stopped using Talleys a few years back and have never looked back.

Ronald Reagan

#4645230 - 11/29/10 06:10 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: lovesomeshootin]
Oldelkhunter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: lovesomeshootin

Not true on the talleys! I had a pair of them on a Tikka 25/06 and they BROKE after 2 weeks. Talley did replace them and also sent me a pre paid box to ship the broken ones back to them. They wanted to inspect them.

I have a couple sets of DNZ's and no problems!

I have seen a lot of photos of cracked Talley bases here on the fire. I wonder if the material they are buying is properly treated prior to machining or they are getting bad batches of material from suppliers. Aluminum should not fatigue like it did in that photo in such a short time period. my biggest beef with Talleys is they pretty much all have to be lapped not so with the DNZ's

#4645375 - 11/29/10 06:42 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: Oldelkhunter]
Bruzer Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Georgia Woods
In reference to the Hubble on the Model 7....:)

Big Objectives+High Magnification+Very Little use of Binos=Hunting in the Southeast.

99% of Hunting here is from elevated stands or pop up ground blinds in very heavy cover. I see photos on here where members out West reference cover and it's not even close to what we hunt and this includes the NW.

Deer hunting is a last and first light proposition. I prefer the FXIII 6x42 HD but on my lease I see lots of 50's and some 56's and yes they will plop them down onto Ti's,MR's,Montanas etc...figuring that if they can save some weight in the rifle....why not?

Binos are NOT a standard hunting accessory here...most game is checked on the ground or through a scope....one reason most won't hunt public land here. Another is the 2-5 second time you have to decide aim and shoot......not saying I agree with how it is but that is fact.

Robert

#4645797 - 11/29/10 08:35 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: Bruzer]
Crow hunter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Mississippi
56mm scopes are a common occurance around here at hunting camps, my own main deer rifle wears a 2.5x10x56 swarovski. For all those that snicker at the "hubble", I'm a cheapskate and trust me, I would not have spent the money for it unless it gave a legitimate advantage. Given the time that the truly big ones come out you aren't going to kill many big deer around here prancing around the woods with a 2.5x8x36 Leupold. I know, I have a couple of them also. You'll kill deer, but the truly trophy class animals that I want typically only show themselves at last light. I'll disagree with the previous poster on the binocular statement though, everyone I hunt with uses high quality binos. Mine are swarovski slc's and several other guys in my camp use the same ones, a couple use high end Nikons, and there are a couple of pairs of Kahles.

Everything we use is geared towards what'll work during the few minutes of last light, that's when the big ones move around here. It's very, very different hunting than what the western guys are used to when they're hiking the canyons and mountains, therefore the optics needs are vastly different. There's a reason for the "Hubbles", the same reason the germans invented them.

#4645842 - 11/29/10 08:53 PM Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: Crow hunter]
mathman Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I hunt a timber lease in NW Louisiana, and I know all about first and last light. Under those conditions I've found a quality 6x42 works quite well.

My bino is a Meostar 8x42, and I'm very happy with it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for LEUPOLD VX6 OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
332 registered (1tnhunter, 284LUVR, 257 mag, 300MAG, 01Foreman400, 25classic, 37 invisible), 698 Guests and 298 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50603 Members
72 Forums
636952 Topics
9140429 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.