NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4655175 - 12/02/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: tikkaluv]
wiktor Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Kennerdell, PA
I actually bought both for my A-Bolt Ti in 308. I had to mail order them because neither was in stock locally. Anyway, after comparing both I used the Talley's because they looked a little better and are lighter. I went out of my way to save as much weight as possible on this rifle. That being said, I had to lap the crap out of the Talley's while I don't believe this would have been necessary with the Dednutz mount. Doing it all over again if I wasn't as concerned about saving every bit of weight I would go with the Dednutz mount.

RV 728 BP
#4656279 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: JMR40]
VAhuntr Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: VA, USA
Originally Posted By: JMR40
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

I guess this is where looks is truly in the eye of the beholder. To me the DNZ mounts look like they are machined much better and make the Talley ringmounts look cheap.

I have the DNZ's on a Browning X-Bolt and a T/C Omega and have been very pleased with them.

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

#4657321 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: VAhuntr]
Oldelkhunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: VAhuntr
Originally Posted By: JMR40
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

I guess this is where looks is truly in the eye of the beholder. To me the DNZ mounts look like they are machined much better and make the Talley ringmounts look cheap.

I have the DNZ's on a Browning X-Bolt and a T/C Omega and have been very pleased with them.

I have them on similiar rifles x-bolt, tc endeavor cva apex and they are extremely well made..sighting a rifle in is easy with these mounts
Dec 17, 2009 Michelle Obama... "we are going to have to make sacrifices; we are going to have to change our conversation; we're going to have to change our traditions, our history; we're going to have to move into a different place as a nation."

#4657411 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: JKB]
DMB Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Grayling, MI
Dead Nutz Mounts=Excellent design, and manufacture.
Aesthetics may not meet some people's approval, BUT, they are VERY well made.
I have one set now, and there will be more.

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

#4657416 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: JKB]
DMB Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Grayling, MI
Originally Posted By: JKB
Bought a new rifle and wanting to try a set, but sure been happy with the steel leupolds, redfields and burris tactical.

I like the modular design, but seem cheap.

Any thoughts here?

Mounting a Nikon MonarchGold 2.5-10x50 on a a-bolt Ti 300wsm.

JKB,

See that this is your first posting.
Welcome aboard, visit often, and join in on the banter.

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

#4657616 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: old_willys]
Crockettnj Offline
Campfire Guide

Just put DNZ on a savage 220F. Piece of cake, look and feel solid and well built. Site in was a breeze. Pricey, but imo for my situation worth it.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

#4657746 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: JKB]
DanInAlaska Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Anchorage, AK
I wrote this up a while back about the DNZ mounts.....

I ordered the Dednutz mounts directly from the manufacturer. The woman on the phone was easy to talk to, and she knew what she was doing. I placed the order on Thursday, and they were waiting in the mailbox for me this afternoon. Three business days is pretty quick service to Alaska, by any standards. They shipped via Priority Mail, and the grand total after shipping was $62.90.

I ordered a set of Dednutz mounts for a Model 7, and since I don't have a set of Talley's for a Model 7, I used a set of LW lows for a Model 700 to get my numbers. I'm thinking they'll be close enough for a decent comparison.

The numbers:
--The Talley's 2-pc rings weigh 2.2 oz, total; the Dednutz 1-pc unit weighs 2.8 oz.
--The 'low" Talley's measure .400" high on the front mount; the Dednutz "extra low" unit is .050" shorter.

As for the rings themselves, the Tally's are .640" wide, versus the Dednutz at .625". The Tally rings are .100" thick at the thinnest portion (at the top), and the Dn's are .240" thick - they're stout!

The Photos:

Side-by-side top view:

Side-by-side angle view:

On the rifle, with the top rings off to show the length of the screws:

On the rifle w/ 2.5-8x, right side:

On the rifle, left side:

Clearance to the action:

#4658312 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: DanInAlaska]
257WBYLOVER Offline

Just a question on dnz how many mount screws are there?

#4658328 - 12/03/10 Re: Dead nutz mounts: Look cheap: AnyGood? [Re: 257WBYLOVER]
Oregonmuley Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: jennings lodge, oregon
Dan,
Do you have any idea of how the DNZ extra-lows compare to a Leupy set of low rings as far as height? I sure would like to give these a go but not sure if the extra-low would be too low to mount a variable and have room for the power-ring. I tried this with the Talley extra-lows and it didn't work but like the weight savings of the DNZ.
Thanks

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
710 registered (117LBS, 163dm, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17Fan, 77 invisible), 1545 Guests and 350 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,466 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,253 Topics
10,002,529 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.