Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just returned last night from 7 days of floating Oregon�s Deschutes River. The objective was summer run steelhead, and we had a fine trip. I had about 24 good solid hits on flys, got hooked up to 15 fish, and landed 11. Size wise they ranged from around 24 to 29 inches, but we did not tie into any of the larger Clearwater fish that stray off the Columbia. With a couple exceptions, one typically got into a fish during each morning or evening session. About any fly pattern worked as well as another, and we fished floating lines exclusively.

Yes, Macrabbit, the black Aztec scored again.

A buddy on the trip did a better job of staying hooked up than I, and landed a few more fish. As to other events, we saw lots of wildlife (deer, bighorn, beaver, racoon, otter, and a variety of snakes), and I learned a 10lb tippet is insufficient for large beaver. One got away with two of my favorite flys after about a 30 second go around. It wasn't an intentional hook up, as he simply surfaced in the middle of my daisey chain. I�ll take heavier gear to that run next time if anyone can offer a tip or two on just where one grabs a 30 lb irrate rodent with big teeth and a flexible back.

I�ll be heading out for a repeat run with the wife this coming Saturday, and hopefully doing another run in early October. Take care,
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 09/08/10.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice ! ! !

Hatchery fish? Looks like it's missing a fin.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, a hatchery fish. Seemed to run about 50/50 hatchery to native.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to go!
How many years have you been doing this trip?

Thanks for the report.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Macrabbit: We've been getting in about 14 to 21 days a year since 1980. The main deal for steelhead is simply river knowledge. If fish are around, there are spots that consistently hold fish and then extensive reaches that are simply a waste of time. Our group has 7 or 8 favorite campsites where one can predict within about 5 feet or so of where one will get a bite. To scout for such areas it's easiest to just watch where old tippy silver haired folks fish, and write those spots down in ones notebook. Tight lines,

Going to head out again with the wife this coming Sunday for a week on the water and then do 9 or 10 days in early October.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
old tippy silver haired folks

grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gorgeous fish! Steelies are IMO, the most beautiful fish that swim! Good luck with your next trip.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
old tippy silver haired folks

Yes, they do not waste their time on unproductive water. Watched an old gentleman across the river once that took 20 minutes to descend about 20 feet through rugged rock from the road to river's edge in a spot that is never fished. The cane rod went to work, and on his second cast, he was hooked up. Beached about a 30" fish, spent 10 minutes climbing back up, turned and gave me a clenched fist salute, and he was out of there. Obviously he knew something.

On my last trip, I saw a guy in the same exact spot, and out of a line up of about 6 fishermen in a quarter mile flat, he was the only one to hook up and land a fish. Never go there because I fish the other side, but just might row over on this trip.

Heading out tomorrow at O dark 30 for another 9 days on the river. Making this trip solo (just couldn't round up a partner), and I will try to get more pictures this time. Tight lines everyone,

Last edited by 1minute; 09/12/10.

1Minute
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another Report:

Just returned from a 6-day float (Oct 1 - 6). The river was running about 1000 cfs above average (5,300 cfs vs 4,300 cfs). Fishing was great, but the catching was horrid. I landed a native hen (about 28 inches) the 5th evening we were on the river. That was the only hit I had in about 35 to 40 hrs of fishing time and we worked mostly sink tips and some time in shallow waters with floating lines.

If anyone is scheduling a trip, I'd suggest monitoring the flows and holding off until the water level starts declining.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, that's ugly. (But still fun, no doubt.)

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If there is anyone in the eastern part of the United States that wants to get into some serious Steelhead fishing the Steelhead Lodge in Pulaski, NY is the place to go. Take a look at their page on Facebook and look at the most recent catches. Big fish are in the river now. Nice Rainbows and Browns are being caught too. They can also be reached at 315.298.4371. Nice accomodations right on the river and the price is RIGHT. They also have a website that keeps us up-to-date on the conditions of the river, how the fish are biting, etc. and not to mention really nice folks!!

Your life is made of two dates and a dash. Make the most of the dash.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Fished there in the 1980'a dkhnt, and its combat fishing at its best or worst depending how you look at it. Its a mud hole of a town, the pits in my view. Its the most un natural thing I ever seen. The fish, swim out of the lake, right into the hatchery. Some people like it, we use to go a couple of times a year for the week ends. The only thing I enjoyed was a steak house we stopped at and the Bass Ale.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,017
Posts18,481,625
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.